Author Topic: Phantom Thread - Critic's Reviews  (Read 3431 times)

Fitzroy

• The Call to Adventure
  • Respect: +18
Re: Phantom Thread - Critic's Reviews
« Reply #45 on: February 07, 2018, 05:22:19 AM »
+5
The film is great. The film is always great. It's not because Paul Thomas Anderson is adored by the critics that the film is great. The film is great because it is great. Because it's beautiful. Maybe one day you will change your taste Jeva.

modage

• Admin
  • Respect: +765
    • Floating Heads
« Reply #46 on: February 07, 2018, 06:32:32 AM »
+5
One other factor that must be considered (if you're a long-time Xixaxer) is that PTA is the establishment now! So some young film Geeks will push back against him because he's not the young upstart who just kicked in the door with Boogie Nights. He's the filmmaker 20+ years into his career making interesting mature films that usually play better for auds more familiar with his work than newbies.

Scorsese making Age Of Innocence.
Altman making Vincent & Theo.
Demme making Beloved.
Kubrick making Barry Lyndon.

I'm not saying this is right or wrong. Just that we should brace for it.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

eward

• The Master of Two Worlds
  • Respect: +59
« Reply #47 on: February 07, 2018, 07:42:37 AM »
Ohmygod guys, not only does she like "get" all this Freud stuff ("A dead mother's locks sewn into Reynold's coat? Please.") but she finds it like totally, annoyingly overabundant! I hate my generation (though she might be a bit younger than me) and I hate that the internet makes it so easy for me to rile myself up. "Can we all stop pretending Phantom Thread is a masterpiece?" Yeah, as soon as she stops pretending she's a writer. Love how everyone else MUST be pretending simply because she fails to grasp it. She even says, "Not to kinkshame, but if your partner poisons you, it's a crime." What a hero!  :doh: All the films she name-drops too - the obvious ones everyone is mentioning like Rebecca, Vertigo, but also Rivette's La Belle Noiseuse, for instance - anyone else have a teeny tiny suspicion that she maybe hasn't actually seen them? Perhaps I'm becoming an old crank....
"Do you laugh at jealousy?"

"No, I don't even laugh at seasickness! I happen to regard jealousy as the seasickness of passion."

Mogambo

• The Call to Adventure
  • Respect: +40
« Reply #48 on: February 07, 2018, 09:18:34 AM »
+1
Perhaps I'm becoming an old crank....

Nah you're not. I'm 20 and I agree with everything you said. She just sounds like a contrarian to me, from my limited understanding of cinema, of course.

Oh, the writer has a twitter thread:
https://twitter.com/Jee_vuh/status/960889865209606145

wilberfan

• The Meeting with the Goddess
  • Respect: +157
"Trying to fit in since 2017."

wilberfan

• The Meeting with the Goddess
  • Respect: +157
« Reply #50 on: February 07, 2018, 10:36:50 AM »
Agreed.  But as an old theater buff, that photo is fucking awesome (in a tragic way).
"Trying to fit in since 2017."

eward

• The Master of Two Worlds
  • Respect: +59
« Reply #51 on: February 07, 2018, 10:38:53 AM »
+1
True, excellent photo.

Also:
"Do you laugh at jealousy?"

"No, I don't even laugh at seasickness! I happen to regard jealousy as the seasickness of passion."

Mogambo

• The Call to Adventure
  • Respect: +40
« Reply #52 on: February 09, 2018, 06:25:07 AM »

True, excellent photo.

Also:

That second tweet is so true. I think almost every acclaimed movie that is an award frontrunner goes through every phase mentioned in the tweet.

Lewton

• The Road of Trials
  • Respect: +80
« Reply #53 on: February 09, 2018, 02:30:01 PM »
It's unfortunate that Lange's article has a title that suggests fans of Phantom Thread are insincere or whatever, but it's worth noting that editors occasionally choose titles, so that might not even have been her decision. That point is not repeated in the article itself. Anyway, if she did come up with the title, then it's a poorly-chosen rhetorical device that fits in with the tenor of certain parts of social media and the online discussion of films, so it's at least understandable why such a title exists. I think it's part of the argot nowadays, unfortunately. Still, I don't think this warrants harsh responses or anger -- even Mark Harris' snarky tweet seems ill-considered because, again, who knows if she even picked the title.

Also, she is a critic, regardless of her official job title. I mean, she's criticizing the film in the context of an article, so she's a critic. I don't think she's inherently wrong about anything, either. I disagree with her perspective, but it's art, so it's debatable. If there was no voice of dissent in the case of this film then that'd be weird. I think the fact that these kind of takes show up is, for me, just a reminder that PTA is doing good work and, as Anthony Lane once put it in his review of Inherent Vice, following his own star. He's taking artistic risks, and this is what happens when artistic risks are taken. Godfrey Chesire's review of TWBB: same thing -- he wants a more straightforward film, which misses the joy of PTA's movies, but whatever, my tastes aren't universal.

Again, though, I disagree with her take. This bit, for instance, is about as far from my own impression as possible:

Quote from:
Here's looking at you, kid, this is not.

The lines she's referring to are actually top-tier in my estimation. I mean, let's see how they hold up over time, but I'll make the claim that this particular exchange ranks among the great bits of dialogue from cinema history (or, more precisely, the selection of movies I've seen). I'm as eager to praise that dialogue as she is to denigrate it.

csage97

• The Road of Trials
  • Respect: +23
« Reply #54 on: February 10, 2018, 11:04:32 PM »
It's unfortunate that Lange's article has a title that suggests fans of Phantom Thread are insincere or whatever, but it's worth noting that editors occasionally choose titles, so that might not even have been her decision. That point is not repeated in the article itself. Anyway, if she did come up with the title, then it's a poorly-chosen rhetorical device that fits in with the tenor of certain parts of social media and the online discussion of films, so it's at least understandable why such a title exists. I think it's part of the argot nowadays, unfortunately. Still, I don't think this warrants harsh responses or anger -- even Mark Harris' snarky tweet seems ill-considered because, again, who knows if she even picked the title.

The title, which suggests that some sort of mass conformity or unwillingness of the bystander to speak up, is quite odd. I won't comment on the article aside from saying that one interpretation to resolve her fixation on beauty in the film is that the film could be suggesting that beauty can be superficial, and hence a reason why there's no further probing of concepts of beauty more than showing nice dresses and well-ornamented people. Indeed, Reynolds even seems to despise and understand the irony of serving clients who shell out massive sums of money for something less than skin deep.

The twitter comments are a bit funny. In these, she's fixated on the dog and how DDL went through the trouble of suggesting the preferred breed of his character while the dog isn't even seen on screen. She hasn't considered that any shots of the dog were thrown out in the cutting room, nor that they possibly chose not to shoot any of the dog because they decided after that it wasn't needed. As far as DDL specifying the breed, it's called being very prepared and covering all bases. Sometimes, a piece of knowledge, a tool, a scene, an idea, etc., isn't used, but the information and prep was instrumental in zoning in on exactly what's needed for a final product.

The other thing about the dog is that she seems to think no one looks after it. She can't stretch her imagination to think that this rich and highly successful dressmaker who owns two homes (or possibly more than two -- but let's not push her cognitive limits too far), has a squadron of cooks and maids (one of whom is even shown in the cottage house in a subsequent scene), an expensive car, and vast social connections, can't possibly know or pay someone to house sit or drop by to feed and walk the dog. No, no ... that's certainly not possible.

I actually do enjoy reading negative reviews of things I enjoy; I find they bring perspective and there's more or less a limit to a piece of art being objectively good. I typically don't meet bad reviews with negative emotions, unless they're shortsighted or what have you. In this case, I couldn't help it.

DMCA & Copyright | Terms & Conditions | Privacy Policy