Author Topic: Phantom Thread - Awards ticker  (Read 1844 times)

wilberfan

• The Meeting with the Goddess
  • Respect: +118
Re: Phantom Thread - Awards ticker
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2017, 10:27:43 PM »
+1
Jonny Greenwood Declared Eligible for Oscar Consideration (this time) for his 'Phantom Thread' Score

http://variety.com/2017/film/awards/oscars-original-scores-eligible-academy-1202644494/

Jonny Greenwood, who was famously disqualified 10 years ago for his “There Will Be Blood” score, qualifies this year with his “Phantom Thread” score for the same director, Paul Thomas Anderson.

"There's shadows in life, baby."

wilberfan

« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2017, 06:56:34 PM »

d

• The Call to Adventure
  • Respect: +5
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2018, 01:06:49 PM »
What do you guys think about all the recent snubs? I'm know next to nothing about all the awards business but WGA snub seems strange considering PTA has already won some screenplay awards for this one, right? Do you care about the awards? PTA seems not to give a fuck and be slightly annoyed/shocked by losing at Oscars at the same time. Much as I think Oscars are bullshit in recent years I would love to see PTA finally get some well-deserved mainstream recognition. My dream for Phantom Thread is PTA winning at least one for say screenplay and Greenwood winning. The latter seems not so unlikely this time but PTA being snubbed will always be surreal for me.

modage

• Admin
  • Respect: +740
    • Floating Heads
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2018, 03:23:58 PM »
Not surprised.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

wilberfan

« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2018, 08:32:31 PM »
The Oscars used to be the major religious holiday in our family.  (I'm not exaggerating.)  Probably starting around the year that "The Artist" won best picture, I've gradually become more and more disillusioned with them.  Last year I could barely care at all (although I was pleased when "La La Land" 'lost' at the wire.)  The last 3 or 4 years especially have seemed to be an endless stream of high-praised films that I've been unimpressed with.  ("Whiplash" comes to mind.)  So, my tastes--or the "mainstream" tastes are evolving (or both) and apparently in opposite directions.

That said, I would be thrilled to see a PTA film win Best Picture and/or PTA to win Best Director.  (But Oscars only.  The Golden Globes are bullshit.  Or at least bigger bullshit than the Oscars.) 

modage

• Admin
  • Respect: +740
    • Floating Heads
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2018, 08:44:39 PM »
+1
Wrote this a couple years ago but still true today.

http://cigsandredvines.blogspot.com/2013/02/a-few-thoughts-on-academy-awards.html

TLDR: It’s nice when the Oscars get it right but more often than not they don’t and it doesn’t affect which films stand the test of time one iota. PTA will be fine.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

wilberfan

« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2018, 05:18:34 PM »
Given that DDL is doing extremely limited amounts of press/promotion for Thread, I was quite surprised to see that he was present at the Globes last night...

csage97

• The Call to Adventure
  • Respect: +13
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2018, 05:55:20 PM »
The Oscars used to be the major religious holiday in our family.  (I'm not exaggerating.)  Probably starting around the year that "The Artist" won best picture, I've gradually become more and more disillusioned with them.  Last year I could barely care at all (although I was pleased when "La La Land" 'lost' at the wire.)  The last 3 or 4 years especially have seemed to be an endless stream of high-praised films that I've been unimpressed with.  ("Whiplash" comes to mind.)  So, my tastes--or the "mainstream" tastes are evolving (or both) and apparently in opposite directions.

That said, I would be thrilled to see a PTA film win Best Picture and/or PTA to win Best Director.  (But Oscars only.  The Golden Globes are bullshit.  Or at least bigger bullshit than the Oscars.)

wilberfan, I think we're on a similar wavelength. I almost walked out of the theatre for La La Land (though I admit the cinematography was very nice), and I didn't really like Whiplash (Birdman was far, far better. Give me Lubezki and that score any day). I just really don't like Chazelle's stories.

One thing I disagree with you on, though, is Inherent Vice. I don't think it's PTA's best, but I still thoroughly enjoy it.

wilberfan

« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2018, 07:19:56 PM »
One thing I disagree with you on, though, is Inherent Vice. I don't think it's PTA's best, but I still thoroughly enjoy it.

I've promised myself, out of respect to PTA, that the next time it's playing on the big screen in L.A. (at some geographically reasonable location), I'll give it another try.  Two attempts to rewatch it at home have resulted in my hurling the remote at the TV.

wilberfan

« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2018, 01:56:22 PM »
DGA Feature Film Nominations Announced

http://www.awardscircuit.com/2018/01/11/dga-feature-film-nominations-announced/

Guillermo del Toro, “The Shape of Water” (Fox Searchlight)
*First Nomination

Greta Gerwig, “Lady Bird” (A24)
*First Nomination

Martin McDonagh, “Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri” (Fox Searchlight)
*First Nomination

Christopher Nolan, “Dunkirk” (Warner Bros)
*Fourth Nomination

Jordan Peele, “Get Out” (Universal Pictures)
*First Nomination, also nominated for First-Time Feature Film

Drenk

• The Return Threshold
  • Respect: +518
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2018, 02:13:14 PM »
Send more screeners, I guess.
I'm so many people.

DMCA & Copyright | Terms & Conditions | Privacy Policy