Author Topic: mother!  (Read 4580 times)

©brad

• Admin
  • Respect: +253
Re: mother!
« Reply #30 on: October 04, 2017, 01:09:31 PM »
Still haven't seen this yet but ARONOFSKY AND JLAW ARE NOW DATING?!

BB

• The Vision Quest
  • Respect: +113
« Reply #31 on: December 21, 2017, 07:56:44 AM »
Finally caught up with this. Really quite enjoyed it. Then I read Aronofsky's statement and enjoyed it a little less.

Still, might be my favourite of his films so far. Managed to evoke very specific feelings I've experienced in dreams but not in waking life, which was fun.

ElPandaRoyal

• The Master of Two Worlds
  • Respect: +121
« Reply #32 on: December 21, 2017, 10:03:14 AM »
+4
Still haven't seen this yet but ARONOFSKY AND JLAW ARE NOW DATING?!

To be fair, he has been working on it for a long time.

Si

©brad

• Admin
« Reply #33 on: December 21, 2017, 10:41:23 AM »
^hah!

Apparently they broke up because he wouldn't stop reading and complaining about Mother! reviews (no joke).

Jeremy Blackman

• Admin
  • Respect: +1487
"Hunger is the purest sin"

Something Spanish

• The Vision Quest
  • Respect: +122
« Reply #35 on: December 21, 2017, 05:51:35 PM »
on the WTF interview Aronofsky claims mother! is the best thing he's ever done.

©brad

• Admin
« Reply #36 on: December 21, 2017, 06:00:24 PM »
on the WTF interview Aronofsky claims mother! is the best thing he's ever done.

I think he said it was the ending of Mother! that was the best thing he's ever done.

Jeremy Blackman

• Admin
  • Respect: +1487
« Reply #37 on: December 31, 2017, 09:23:27 PM »
+1
Rewatched mother! and oh boy does it hold up. I feel even more strongly about it now. Every moment of this film is so perfectly crafted—each word, each camera movement, every delicious morsel of sound design.

This is J-Law's best performance, Aronofsky's best work, and one of the best films of the decade.

SPOILERS

I hate to say this, but Get Out feels very one-trick by comparison. With mother!, there are so many fun things to discover. Countless little jokes (verbal and visual) and lots of dark clever delights. (Example: at 44:53, we very briefly see that the ground is still smoldering from the last conflagration.)

But most of all, there is a bounty of achingly beautiful metaphors. And I'm not talking about the biblical ones. When everyone was discussing this movie, I somehow bought into the consensus that its themes were very heavy-handed once you caught on. But that's really not true at all. This movie is so thematically dense. It actually strongly reminds me of Dogville in the way every other line kind of knocks you out with its incisiveness and impishness.

And it's so ridiculously precise in the way it renders the introvert's nightmare. A lot of that actually comes from J-Law's performance—she carries the film far more than I had realized.

Side note, this is a great read: Mother! is even more harrowing when you watch it with your pregnant wife
"Hunger is the purest sin"

DMCA & Copyright | Terms & Conditions | Privacy Policy