Author Topic: The Last Movie Star (formerly "Dog Years")  (Read 440 times)

wilberfan

• The Meeting with the Goddess
  • Respect: +199
The Last Movie Star (formerly "Dog Years")
« on: March 24, 2018, 06:25:02 PM »

An aging, former movie star is forced to face the reality that his glory days are behind him. On its surface THE LAST MOVIE STAR is a tale about faded fame, but at its core, it's a universal story about growing old.

Director: Adam Rifkin
Writer: Adam Rifkin

Stars: Burt Reynolds, Ariel Winter, Clark Duke

I essentially agree with Dennis Harvey, writing in Variety:
He [Rifkin] makes an effort as does his subject but despite a few good moments, this well-intentioned seriocomedy mostly wobbles between crude yocks, lame generation-gap humor and sentimental cliche.

Bittersweet, for sure, to see Jack Burt old and physically frail.  He was present for a Q&A afterwards and demonstrated that his sense of humor is still pretty sharp.  And he spent a couple of hours at a reception afterwards greeting fans and throwing his arm around everyone who lined up to sit down next to him for a selfie. 
"Trying to fit in since 2017."

jenkins

• The Master of Two Worlds
  • Respect: +1581
Re: The Last Movie Star (formerly "Dog Years")
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2018, 10:36:00 PM »
i'm not sure i'll see it but i think it's a good topic. this is an A24 release too.

Adam Rifkin was one of those Hollywood greats in the 90s, along with Daniel Waters and James Gunn. he peaked in my youth with The Chase, and i believe his most acclaimed was Detroit Rock City. i started a thread for Giuseppe Makes a Movie although i never saw it. since then he's made two movies. he stays busy.

these are the trailers to the two Rifkin movies between Giuseppe and Last Movie Star.

Shooting the Warwicks, written by and starring Rifkin:

actually i just watched it and here's a link

Director's Cut, written by and starring Penn Jillette. the trailer begins bad but becomes a different type of bad at 1:12

somehow it premiered at slamdance.

i think Rifkin mainly interests me in theory

DMCA & Copyright | Terms & Conditions | Privacy Policy