XIXAX Film Forum

HAIM - "Valentine"

velociraptor · 140 · 13352

axxonn

• The Call to Adventure
Reply #60 on: October 31, 2019, 02:57:27 PM
He has no ideas for music videos anymore other than "walk around while I shoot" ? This is almost exactly the same as the last one. How much is he getting paid for these?

Must admit I feel the same about all these HAIM videos, but maybe my complete disinterest in the music isn't helping either. As others have said, seems like more of a proving ground for lens tests and experiments with colour/costume/movement.

wilberfan

• The Master of Two Worlds
Reply #61 on: October 31, 2019, 03:06:25 PM
I wonder how much input the sisters have in terms of story/setting/concept...?    Maybe they like the walk-n-sing thing and he's making it happen as creatively as possible.
"Trying to fit in since 2017."

Drill

• The Vision Quest
Reply #62 on: October 31, 2019, 04:26:13 PM
Nah, it's him. The Joanna Newsom one was the same thing.

jenkins

Reply #63 on: October 31, 2019, 04:26:50 PM
a sense of family: they are sisters. their mother was a school teacher of his. they are professional musicians. he is a professional camera-related person. they all already live near each other. pta has filmed musicians walking around since fionna apple, into radiohead, now haim. his production history indicates community conversation regarding creative development. his production history indicates interest in the type of photography being implemented

the distress about disinterest in haim is unrelated to a rational conversation about the music video thatís going along fine enough but just with vocal personal distress at the forefront as well. itís all human

Pringle

• The Road of Trials
Reply #64 on: October 31, 2019, 06:02:12 PM
I like the videos and have no problem with any aspect of it.

Gotta say though, Haim is one of the few huge pop bands in America and they are signed to a major label. Iím sure heís getting paid as well as any director of any music video would these days. And he deserves it.

Something Spanish

• The Ultimate Boon
Reply #65 on: November 01, 2019, 07:51:22 AM
Just watched the new one, think itís great. Thereís a lot more going on then just walking around, itís interesting throughout. very cool PTA flex.

Lewton

• The Vision Quest
Reply #66 on: November 06, 2019, 03:53:54 AM
Some really nice images here... lots of whimsy and sweetness mixed in with the gloomier vibes. Love the on the sleeve emotionality of PTA's work in general and I think it pairs well with this song.

It hasn't been that quiet a year for PTA fans after all! I'm definitely grateful for this year's Haim collaborations and for Anima. And separate from the filmmaking, there were all those contributions to that CNN movies series over the summer... really appreciated so many of his comments there... that story he tells about Rocky and his mother was moving. That one has stuck with me for some reason.

And if he's making these music videos quickly (I think one of the Haim bandmates mentioned that these videos are sort of done "guerrilla style" or something like that) then it really doesn't show. That's partly what made watching this so invigorating. Just my impression of his skills being tested in an especially time sensitive way and the results still exuding all of the usual confidence and flair.

Pringle

• The Road of Trials
Reply #67 on: November 12, 2019, 11:14:39 AM
With the 70s vibes of the new video, and PTAís history of using music videos as camera tests, I wonder if the new film will look similar.

csage97

• The Vision Quest
Reply #68 on: November 13, 2019, 01:06:15 PM
I love this new one! I didn't like the last one at all, but this one has so much camera movement, variety in the shots, LA scenery, 70s vibes, etc., and a good story. How could I not love it?

trytotell

• The Road of Trials
Reply #69 on: November 18, 2019, 11:26:25 AM

Drenk

Reply #70 on: November 18, 2019, 11:33:17 AM
Another one?  :shock:
Ascension.

wilberfan

Reply #71 on: November 18, 2019, 11:34:26 AM
Now with less walking. But still some.

Drenk

Reply #72 on: November 18, 2019, 11:40:50 AM
I'm amazed at how flat all these songs sound.
Ascension.

wilberfan

Reply #73 on: November 18, 2019, 11:42:40 AM
These must be a good way to keep yourself sharp, for, say, something feature-length.  :yabbse-smiley:

eward

Reply #74 on: November 18, 2019, 12:14:33 PM
Was bracing myself for yet another cover of probably the most over-covered song of all time, Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah. This is not that. Not by a long shot.
Everyone has a heart and it's calling for something
And we're all so sick and tired of seeing things as they are...