Author Topic: the house that jack built  (Read 2748 times)

KJ

• The Master of Two Worlds
  • Respect: +389
Re: the house that jack built
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2018, 07:19:01 PM »
I can't wait to dramatically walk out my living room while watching this. like, I just watched maps to the stars, and could barely stomach the violence in that film.

eward

• Respect: +165
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2018, 07:22:24 PM »
Could not be more hyped for this. The ridiculous outrage that seems to accompany every von Trier release only intensifies my excitement.

Let the pearl clutching begin!
"Do you laugh at jealousy?"

"No, I don't even laugh at seasickness! I happen to regard jealousy as the seasickness of passion."

eward

« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2018, 11:09:31 AM »
Okay, the apparent structural and tonal similarities to Nymphomaniac (especially Vol. 2) now have me checking my excitement a bit. Pretty lukewarm on those films.

"No, I don't even laugh at seasickness! I happen to regard jealousy as the seasickness of passion."

Jeremy Blackman

• Admin
  • Respect: +1490
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2018, 11:58:05 AM »
"Hunger is the purest sin"

eward

« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2018, 09:44:07 PM »
Lars Von Trier Film Triggers Outrage at Cannes…Or So Twitter Would Have You Believe

http://observer.com/2018/05/was-cannes-really-shocked-by-lars-von-trier-movie-the-house-that-jack-built/

Just Withnail

• Respect: +496
    • Truls Krane Meby's website
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2018, 03:47:53 AM »
+1
I had a hard time with this, not really because of any of the supposedly shocking things (that are really only shocking in the context of an arthouse film), but mostly I was just bored. 80% of the film was pretty blandly constructed thriller scenes amounting to little more than "how will he do it this time?". It's at it's best when it's funny (and it's occasionally hilarious) and baroque, but mostly it consists of pretty worn out serial killer tropes. The contextualizing of these do add something, but not enough, I feel.

The film is basically a big confession from von Trier, "this is who I am and there's worth in portraying it". But it adds little new that he hasn't already shown in the other films, except pushing his imagery to new bombastic/pompous/ridiculous/funny heights towards the end, and a feeling that wanting to shock is really a compulsion for him. This both worked for the film (when the compulsion is so blatant it's just funny) and against it (when it wasn't bombastic enough to be interesting and ended up being merely trope'y).

At it's best it's von Trier at his best, at it's worst it's just boring.

eward

« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2018, 01:13:41 PM »
Kinda how I feel about Nymphomaniac. And the trailer makes the whole thing seem stylistically very much in that vein. It's kind of a shame - pre-Nymphomaniac, von Trier was really on a roll. He'd likely blame sobriety.

DMCA & Copyright | Terms & Conditions | Privacy Policy