Author Topic: Phantom Thread  (Read 86651 times)

Jeremy Blackman

• Admin
  • Respect: +1466
Re: Phantom Thread
« Reply #600 on: February 19, 2018, 05:48:28 PM »
Seems to me that DDL would get a story by credit at most. Didn't PTA describe them walking around and discussing the concept? I don't think they were handing the pen back and forth or anything like that. PTA also tends to emphasize the efforts of his collaborators when talking about the process, so his words should be viewed with that in mind.
"Hunger is the purest sin"

Lewton

• The Road of Trials
  • Respect: +102
« Reply #601 on: February 19, 2018, 06:00:04 PM »
Seems to me that DDL would get a story by credit at most.

That was my initial thought, as well, but it's still hard to say. If PTA arrived with the basic bones of the thing -- the general gist, even if they didn't decide on the dressmaker aspect until later -- and Day-Lewis supplemented it through good research, then perhaps that doesn't warrant a "story by" credit?

Keep in mind, of course, that I have absolutely no idea what I'm talking about.

wilberfan

• The Meeting with the Goddess
  • Respect: +186
« Reply #602 on: February 19, 2018, 06:14:21 PM »
I've wondered about this since the first post-screening Q&A.  Everything I've heard since makes it sound (to my ear) like DDL helped shape the story and was involved to the point that I've never understood why PTA gets sole screening writing credit on this film.  Contrast that to the story we were presented with of him writing Magnolia by himself in Macy's (Vermont?) cabin (with the snake outside as incentive).  But here, too, I'm not familiar with WGA rules that might dictate who's considered responsible for what in terms of actual screen credit.
"Trying to fit in since 2017."

Shughes

• The Call to Adventure
  • Respect: +49
    • Shaun Hughes Film
« Reply #603 on: February 19, 2018, 07:21:17 PM »
+1
I feel like it's more likely that DDL's contribution was all just part of their collaboration - in a similar way that Producers will develop a script or story with a director - they are not writing the film and nor should they get a writing credit but rather putting the work in as part of their existing role. Film is a collaborative medium. I (can only) imagine that DDL embraced having such an input and that the collaboration was so open - people like to affect change and make a difference. PTA discussed a similar working process on TWBB which was also surprising to hear, but really great.

Lewton

• The Road of Trials
  • Respect: +102
« Reply #604 on: February 19, 2018, 10:22:05 PM »
+3
This conversation reminds me that I recently came across a YouTube video of Tony Kushner, circa Lincoln, mentioning that DDL "is a great writer in his own right," or something along those lines. This, along with recent reports that DDL has been taking meetings in the interest of possibly producing some films, makes me wonder if he will ever try his hand at writing his own movie.

I do hope PTA convinces him to come back so that DDL and Joaquin Phoenix can play brothers or something, but if not, then I'm hoping whatever he does next will still be something artistic that will be put out for public consideration. Day-Lewis behind the camera, or putting pen to paper in some capacity, sounds very interesting to me and there are reasons to believe he'd excel at either one of those challenges.

samsong

• The Master of Two Worlds
  • Respect: +284
    • http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html?cat=1&sub=All&id=samsong
« Reply #605 on: February 28, 2018, 07:51:59 PM »
any of you brooklyn hipsters see this with live accompaniment at BAM or what?

eward

• Respect: +110
« Reply #606 on: February 28, 2018, 08:02:31 PM »
I was shooting, I wanted so badly to be there, my buddy Paul went and said there were tears.
"Do you laugh at jealousy?"

"No, I don't even laugh at seasickness! I happen to regard jealousy as the seasickness of passion."

samsong

• Respect: +284
    • http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html?cat=1&sub=All&id=samsong
« Reply #607 on: February 28, 2018, 10:26:12 PM »
going to the one in LA on friday.  i combed through the BAM geotag on instagram to see if anyone stole some footage.  there are only a handful of clips from the end credits (surprised!) and they gave me chills.  im anticipating a religious experience.

modage

• Admin
  • Respect: +783
    • Floating Heads
« Reply #608 on: March 01, 2018, 07:01:36 AM »
any of you brooklyn hipsters see this with live accompaniment at BAM or what?
Yep. It was great. (Sat behind Paul Dano, who was also there for PDL a few years ago.)
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Tdog

• The Call to Adventure
  • Respect: +23
« Reply #609 on: March 01, 2018, 09:14:43 AM »
I do hope PTA convinces him to come back so that DDL and Joaquin Phoenix can play brothers or something, but if not, then I'm hoping whatever he does next will still be something artistic that will be put out for public consideration. Day-Lewis behind the camera, or putting pen to paper in some capacity, sounds very interesting to me and there are reasons to believe he'd excel at either one of those challenges.

This is my dream too. He made two with Daniel and two with Joaquin so it's only natural that he puts them together for the third collaboration. Now would they be enemies or friends? Brothers would be good, sometimes bickering more often loving. On a road trip.

Also re: DDL's co writing credit on Phantom Thread, PTA said that him and DDL spent a lot of time sitting at DDL's kitchen table in Ireland writing it so there's definite credence to there having been sone sort of credit for DDL. He has a producers credit anyway.

wilberfan

• The Meeting with the Goddess
  • Respect: +186
« Reply #610 on: March 02, 2018, 12:04:01 AM »
+2
A couple of nice closeups of a 70mm print of Phantom Thread.

Source
"Trying to fit in since 2017."

Tictacbk

• The Magic Flight
  • Respect: +190
« Reply #611 on: March 02, 2018, 10:25:06 PM »
+1
Going to the late screening of the live score show thanks to the cigs and redvines twitter contest. Woo!

wilder

• Respect: +1843
« Reply #612 on: March 20, 2018, 06:21:00 PM »
The 4K Blu-ray is coming in the US May 8th

Pringle

• The Call to Adventure
  • Respect: +29
« Reply #613 on: March 23, 2018, 01:51:23 AM »
+3
Well, I guess that's it. Another project come and gone, and now it's time for the man to go away and dream it all up again.

We were hoping for a great film, and he delivered yet again. PTA continues to amaze and astonish and inspire and deliver the goods.

WorldForgot

• The Vision Quest
  • 'change your hair, change your life'
  • Respect: +101
    • tweettweet
« Reply #614 on: March 23, 2018, 01:13:55 PM »
SHOUTOUT
4/20 Vinyl Release

DMCA & Copyright | Terms & Conditions | Privacy Policy