Author Topic: Phantom Thread  (Read 83810 times)

giodashorts

• The Call to Adventure
  • Respect: +2
Re: Phantom Thread
« Reply #570 on: February 07, 2018, 01:18:17 PM »
I would love to go to this, and perhaps I might (although, knowing this, it will probably sell out very quickly), but I'm not sure I can go and watch the film again, after watching it again (a DCP). Hopefully the film will be in focus!

wilberfan

• The Meeting with the Goddess
  • Respect: +185
« Reply #571 on: February 07, 2018, 02:52:54 PM »
All of the fan submitted artwork for Phantom Thread:

https://www.talenthouse.com/i/create-artwork-for-phantom-thread/submissions
"Trying to fit in since 2017."

giodashorts

• The Call to Adventure
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #572 on: February 07, 2018, 03:34:01 PM »
A lot of great art there! The same night, at the Aero, they're showing 'Dunkrik' and 'Interstellar' in 70mm. Interesting. Both theaters have a great selection of films this month, I have to say.

polkablues

• Child of Myth
  • Admin
  • Respect: +1941
« Reply #573 on: February 07, 2018, 04:27:47 PM »
+1
There are a ton of amazing designs in there, but this is the one I would want as a poster on my wall:

First things first, I'm surrealist

Lewton

• The Road of Trials
  • Respect: +96
« Reply #574 on: February 08, 2018, 01:00:37 PM »
So, a very serious post: Phantom Thread's promo photos do not include an image of PTA's brown dress shirt, which is a key production element that links TWBB, TM, and IV. I wonder if it held some sort of sentimental value or was considered a good luck charm or something. At any rate, it was last seen in a photo of Martin Short making PTA laugh on the set of Inherent Vice.

Perhaps it's finally in the Smithsonian, alongside, I'm assuming, Kubrick's glasses and Chaplin's hat or whatever.

Lewton

• The Road of Trials
« Reply #575 on: February 08, 2018, 02:05:31 PM »
+2
My favourite promotional photo from those early days is the one of PTA in his pyjamas on the set of Magnolia.

greenberryhill

• The Road of Trials
  • Respect: +94
« Reply #576 on: February 08, 2018, 02:32:49 PM »
Actually there are no photos of him in the set of TWBB with the brown shirt, or at least i haven´t seen them. I 've seen photos of him using a grey/white shirt on the set of TWBB.

eward

• The Master of Two Worlds
« Reply #577 on: February 08, 2018, 03:06:30 PM »
So, a very serious post: Phantom Thread's promo photos do not include an image of PTA's brown dress shirt, which is a key production element that links TWBB, TM, and IV. I wonder if it held some sort of sentimental value or was considered a good luck charm or something. At any rate, it was last seen in a photo of Martin Short making PTA laugh on the set of Inherent Vice.

Perhaps it's finally in the Smithsonian, alongside, I'm assuming, Kubrick's glasses and Chaplin's hat or whatever.

I have no idea. It's probably turned to ashes by now, fallen to pieces...
"Do you laugh at jealousy?"

"No, I don't even laugh at seasickness! I happen to regard jealousy as the seasickness of passion."

Lewton

• The Road of Trials
« Reply #578 on: February 08, 2018, 06:06:37 PM »
+1
Actually there are no photos of him in the set of TWBB with the brown shirt, or at least i haven´t seen them. I 've seen photos of him using a grey/white shirt on the set of TWBB.

Yeah, you're probably right. I must have been thinking of the post-production photos (i.e., the one you posted of him and Day-Lewis).

tpfkabi

• Respect: +24
    • twitter deed, twitter dead. in the heart or in the head?
« Reply #579 on: February 08, 2018, 08:38:16 PM »
I guess Fifty Shades Freed pushed this out of most theaters.
It finally came to my area for a week or two and will gone everywhere close by tomorrow 2/9.
I was expecting it to enter the top 10, but I don't think it did.
I don't think Inherent Vice made it here. It didn't have any awards push to bring it back.
The Master played only one week that I can remember.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

wilberfan

• The Meeting with the Goddess
  • Respect: +185
« Reply #580 on: February 08, 2018, 08:48:11 PM »
$14,000,000+ in 6 weeks is pretty disheartening.  (Worldwide, $18M as of last week.)   I think it opened in a bunch more theaters last week, so perhaps these numbers will change a bit?  Still, isn't exactly melting the charts.   Some big-catagory Oscars could only help?
"Trying to fit in since 2017."

Punch Drunk Hate

• The Call to Adventure
  • Respect: +11
« Reply #581 on: February 08, 2018, 09:27:08 PM »
The closest theater playing the film is 48 minutes away from where I reside. It's supposedly coming soon according to my local theater site, though I have little faith there will be a substantially time slot for the film.  It makes me jealous of those who live in the big cities that have showings before the rest of the country can see the picture.

eward

« Reply #582 on: February 09, 2018, 07:42:09 AM »
+2
Chic??!! You ought to be spanked in public, fucking chic!

"No, I don't even laugh at seasickness! I happen to regard jealousy as the seasickness of passion."

boogienights

• The Call to Adventure
  • Respect: +3
« Reply #583 on: February 09, 2018, 02:07:02 PM »
$14,000,000+ in 6 weeks is pretty disheartening.  (Worldwide, $18M as of last week.)   I think it opened in a bunch more theaters last week, so perhaps these numbers will change a bit?  Still, isn't exactly melting the charts.   Some big-catagory Oscars could only help?

Yikes that is disheartening, especially how good it was/DDL.

I understand why IV lost money, but I'm surprised The Master did and this isn't looking good.

I'm hoping that home media sales make up for it/ Megan Ellison still finances him.

The blu-ray is up for pre-order

There's a 4K blu-ray release up for pre-order in Canada, so that's probably coming in the US, too. If not, same region code anyway.

Good to know-- if they don't do a US one I'll buy from amazon Canada. It's the perfect movie for a 4K release given it was (to my knowledge) online edited on a flat bed/ scanned to 4K,  so no uprezzing or anything. Would look incredible on my TV.

Chic??!! You ought to be spanked in public, fucking chic!

Drawn and quartered, fucking chic!
« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 04:49:31 PM by wilder »

eward

« Reply #584 on: February 09, 2018, 02:17:34 PM »
+1
I'm hoping that home media sales make up for it/ Megan Ellison still finances him.

If I had that money, I'd gladly fund his career regardless of the costs/box office losses. She's a hero.

DMCA & Copyright | Terms & Conditions | Privacy Policy