Author Topic: Phantom Thread  (Read 63967 times)

ono

• The Master of Two Worlds
  • Respect: +219

Riley Jonathawinn Drake

• The Call to Adventure
  • Respect: +6
Re: Phantom Thread
« Reply #496 on: December 24, 2017, 08:36:44 AM »
Cool new photo posted by Phantom Thread Instagram account.

https://www.instagram.com/phantomthread/

wilberfan

• The Meeting with the Goddess
  • Respect: +123
« Reply #497 on: December 24, 2017, 02:52:51 PM »
+3
Why the ‘Phantom Thread’ 70mm Screenings Are a Unique Experiment That Could Look Significantly Different
How will the film's grainy 35mm images look blown up to a much larger format? Paul Thomas Anderson's experiment with film projection continues apace.

http://www.indiewire.com/2017/12/phantom-thread-70mm-screening-grainy-35mm-blow-up-1201910595/

What’s notable here is the reason Anderson needed to push the stock, similar to what Lachman does when he shoots 35mm, and why today so many filmmakers are now reaching for 16mm: It’s because of how grainless Kodak 35mm stocks have become. In a digital age, the Kodak stock has gotten “too good” – too clean, too grainless – for filmmakers who specifically are reaching for the organic texture of film versus the video sharpness. For these filmmakers, 16mm is an great option to use on an intimate film like “Mother” or “Carol,” but it’s too small a format – lacking detail in wide shots – for a film with scope and landscape like “Mudbound,” which tested 16mm, but went in a different direction. While Anderson’s films have gotten increasingly intimate and smaller in scope, he is also filmmaker who craves detail and depth in his images, so 16mm would likely never be a viable option for him.
"There's shadows in life, baby."

WorldForgot

• The Vision Quest
  • 'change your hair, change your life'
  • Respect: +53
    • tweettweet
« Reply #498 on: December 25, 2017, 01:18:11 AM »
Wow that print is going to be delectable.

Lottery

• The Return Threshold
  • You're Dead!
  • Respect: +461
« Reply #499 on: December 26, 2017, 04:57:41 PM »

wilberfan

« Reply #500 on: December 26, 2017, 05:22:19 PM »
https://www.talenthouse.com/i/create-artwork-for-phantom-thread

Very cool opportunity.

Some talented guy(s) submitted these wonderful posters A MONTH AGO.  Focus wasn't interested.

https://imgur.com/a/A2iKD

jenkins

• The Master of Two Worlds
  • Respect: +1462
    • Neon Burrito
« Reply #501 on: December 27, 2017, 11:14:10 AM »

deliberate or accidental how would i know. this is how it's listed in imdb showtimes

giodashorts

• The Call to Adventure
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #502 on: December 27, 2017, 12:21:12 PM »
+1

I saw the film yesterday in 70mm. It looked fantastic. Unfortunately, as is often the case nowadays, the projectionist didn't exactly have it "perfectly" in focus. The top and bottom were a little blurred, which affected some of the wider shots. Kodak 2383 colors look fantastic. I am in complete understanding of the way this film was photographed. I agree with it completely. This is very rare.  It's fantastic. And, if you've seen other films from Paul Thomas Anderson, it's very predictable in the sense that it works very, very well.

boogienights

• The Call to Adventure
  • Respect: +3
« Reply #503 on: December 27, 2017, 01:47:33 PM »

I saw the film yesterday in 70mm. It looked fantastic. Unfortunately, as is often the case nowadays, the projectionist didn't exactly have it "perfectly" in focus. The top and bottom were a little blurred, which affected some of the wider shots. Kodak 2383 colors look fantastic. I am in complete understanding of the way this film was photographed. I agree with it completely. This is very rare.  It's fantastic. And, if you've seen other films from Paul Thomas Anderson, it's very predictable in the sense that it works very, very well.

What theater was it? I'd prefer to avoid a focus problem if possible.

wilberfan

« Reply #504 on: December 27, 2017, 01:51:32 PM »
What theater was it? I'd prefer to avoid a focus problem if possible.

I wonder if a pre-screening request to check focus would be useful?  (Or is that the equivalent of your soup coming back with spit in it?)

giodashorts

• The Call to Adventure
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #505 on: December 27, 2017, 04:54:30 PM »
Yeah, I would think that would be useful. Unfortunately, the film had already started before I noticed this -- although, I noticed this very quickly -- I didn't want to leave the theater for it. It didn't really affect the film too much, but it really shouldn't happen. It should be in focus (all the way from top to bottom). And this was the 'Landmark' theater. I had seen 'The Hateful Eight' there when that showed in 70mm, and there were no problems at all. But there you go. Some people might not really have noticed it -- they all seemed to really enjoy the film.

It felt like I was watching something that had an age to it. There's always this kind of mysterious quality to the people surrounding the main characters in PTA's films. They just seem to exist in the space. It makes me excited by the idea that, hopefully, people will continue to value film. It feels so natural to watch film projected in the theater. It's very beautiful. I think this film will last for a very long time. 

csage97

• The Call to Adventure
  • Respect: +15
« Reply #506 on: December 27, 2017, 09:26:47 PM »
+1
It felt like I was watching something that had an age to it. There's always this kind of mysterious quality to the people surrounding the main characters in PTA's films. They just seem to exist in the space. It makes me excited by the idea that, hopefully, people will continue to value film. It feels so natural to watch film projected in the theater. It's very beautiful. I think this film will last for a very long time.

This excites me a lot. I just can't wait to catch this movie. Unfortunately, I'm not in one of the major US cities, so the earliest I can see it is Jan 5th in Toronto (not too bad, but I've been too curious and hyped up to not check out reviews, interviews, trailers, etc.). I'm still hoping it comes to my local Landmark or Cineplex, and if not those then the Film House downtown, which shows a bunch of indie films and non-blockbusters. But boy how I envy those who get to see the film projections.

I think I'm even more excited for this film than I was for Inherent Vice ... and Pynchon is my favourite novelist. The ornate images, DDL matched by two amazing female roles, Jonny Greenwood doing romantic music, Britain, tea, art ... it's all just so wonderful. It's everything I want in a film at the moment (oh gosh, I'm starting to get gushy and hysterical).

Even though I started out as solely interested in the new PTA film rather than DDL/DDL's last performance, I'm now enthralled that he's in another role, and a PTA one at that. DDL's commitment to the craft and his willingness to put all he has into the preparation is inspiring, and I know it's going to be a wonderful thing and a treat to watch such a person on screen.

boogienights

• The Call to Adventure
  • Respect: +3
« Reply #507 on: December 27, 2017, 09:56:18 PM »
Yeah, I would think that would be useful. Unfortunately, the film had already started before I noticed this -- although, I noticed this very quickly -- I didn't want to leave the theater for it. It didn't really affect the film too much, but it really shouldn't happen. It should be in focus (all the way from top to bottom). And this was the 'Landmark' theater. I had seen 'The Hateful Eight' there when that showed in 70mm, and there were no problems at all. But there you go. Some people might not really have noticed it -- they all seemed to really enjoy the film.

I just got back from seeing it at the Arclight 70mm, it looked amazing, the blow up was great, looked more or less the same as the 35mm print, but bigger and a little better. Blew my buddy away too. Did not notice any focus problems

wilberfan

« Reply #508 on: January 01, 2018, 01:16:01 PM »
Phantom Thread screening with live score by Rotterdam Philharmonic Orchestra

https://iffr.com/en/2018/events/phantom-thread-live-score-by-rotterdam-philharmonic-orchestra

(Do we have any Rotterdamians among us?)

Fuzzy Dunlop

• The Vision Quest
  • Respect: +173
« Reply #509 on: January 01, 2018, 06:23:51 PM »
I just got back from seeing it at the Arclight 70mm, it looked amazing, the blow up was great, looked more or less the same as the 35mm print, but bigger and a little better. Blew my buddy away too. Did not notice any focus problems

Same -- Arclight Hollywood's 70mm print is gorgeous, definitely a step up from the print I saw at the Fine Arts early screening (which I believe was a 35 print?). Arclight sound and picture are always top notch. Curious to see the DCP too just to compare but I'll probably just keep seeing the 70 print as long as its still playing.

DMCA & Copyright | Terms & Conditions | Privacy Policy