Author Topic: Phantom Thread  (Read 111730 times)

Sleepless

• The Master of Three Worlds
  • I told you I would eat you
  • Respect: +421
Re: Phantom Thread
« Reply #330 on: November 02, 2017, 12:58:00 PM »
That's a good interview.

Jeremy Blackman

• Admin
  • Respect: +1503
« Reply #331 on: November 02, 2017, 05:12:59 PM »
+1
Pure non-spoiler highlights:

"The film, quite simply, is not done."

"I know how to point the camera in a good direction, and I know a few things. But Im not a director of photography."

"Then the process of writing it was really the two of us together, quite honestly. Id give him things as I was writing. Rather than go away and write a script and try to impress him, I was collaborating with him each step of the way as I was going, which was very helpful in terms of forming the story and the character."
"Hunger is the purest sin"

Drenk

• The Master of Two Worlds
  • Respect: +606
« Reply #332 on: November 02, 2017, 05:28:13 PM »
Who recently said that he was impressed by how much PTA knew about technical stuff? With The Master, I'm sure he was kind of his own DP already. The Master and IV look the same even if Elswit came back in between.
I'm so many people.

axxonn

• The Call to Adventure
  • Respect: +11
« Reply #333 on: November 02, 2017, 05:53:56 PM »
+1
Who recently said that he was impressed by how much PTA knew about technical stuff? With The Master, I'm sure he was kind of his own DP already. The Master and IV look the same even if Elswit came back in between.

I don't agree.

Little Ronnie Howard

• The Call to Adventure
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #334 on: November 02, 2017, 06:04:19 PM »
+3
http://fashion.telegraph.co.uk/news-features/TMG10275681/The-mysterious-Cristobal-Balenciaga.html

Quote from this article:

"Balenciaga did not appear at the openings of his collections. Nor did clients see him for fittings as a rule. He watched the shows from the doorway to the ateliers, peeking through a small hole in the curtains."

I guess the scene from the trailer where Reynolds is looking though a hole is directly taken from this article.

Also, Lesley Manville's character seems to be based on Mlle Rene, whose character is Reynolds' sister in the movie.

wilberfan

• The Ultimate Boon
  • Respect: +232
« Reply #335 on: November 02, 2017, 08:29:21 PM »
+1
http://fashion.telegraph.co.uk/news-features/TMG10275681/The-mysterious-Cristobal-Balenciaga.html

What a fascinating article.  I especially enjoyed this:

For many, a Balenciaga show was the closest fashion gets to a religious experience. As the Vogue editor-in-chief Diana Vreeland put it, 'One fainted. It was possible to blow up and die. I remember at one show in the early 1960s Audrey Hepburn turned to me and asked why I wasn't frothing at the mouth at what I was seeing. I told her I was trying to act calm and detached because, after all, I was a member of the press. Across the way Gloria Guinness was sliding out of her chair on to the floor. Everyone was going up in foam and thunder.'

There's another marquee quote:  "Everyone was going up in foam and thunder".   
"Trying to fit in since 2017."

wilberfan

• The Ultimate Boon
  • Respect: +232
« Reply #336 on: November 02, 2017, 09:01:21 PM »
+1
Wonder if DDL will be wearing "himself" at the premiere?
"Trying to fit in since 2017."

csage97

• The Vision Quest
  • Respect: +32
« Reply #337 on: November 02, 2017, 10:32:10 PM »

They don't look the same at all.

velociraptor

• The Call to Adventure
  • Respect: +62
« Reply #338 on: November 03, 2017, 09:31:02 AM »
Important side observation on that EW article: PTA keeps getting better looking.

Drenk

• The Master of Two Worlds
  • Respect: +606
« Reply #339 on: November 03, 2017, 02:27:57 PM »

They don't look the same at all.

Do people agree with me? I'm saying it as a gut feeling. Of course, IV has different colors, but there is a mood in the pictures that isn't only linked to his new directing style. But maybe I am wrong.

I'm so many people.

DocSportello

• The Road of Trials
  • Let It Ride
  • Respect: +29
« Reply #340 on: November 03, 2017, 04:49:54 PM »
Im a large aficionado of those large Gothic romance movies as the old masters might do them. What I like about those kinds of love stories is that theyre very suspenseful. A good dollop of suspense with a love story is a nice combination.

Anybody care to take some guesses as to what films PTA might be referring to here? What are some good, large Gothic romance movies with a hint of suspense from old masters? I think Ive got some catching up to do.

wilder

• Respect: +1897
« Reply #341 on: November 03, 2017, 04:52:16 PM »
+1
He mentioned Rebecca (1940) in that very interview.

DocSportello

• The Road of Trials
  • Let It Ride
  • Respect: +29
« Reply #342 on: November 03, 2017, 04:57:11 PM »
Well, yes, caught that. Suppose I should have asked if anyone knows of any other large gothic romance movies with a hint of suspense from the old masters. Ill google it.

wilder

• Respect: +1897
« Reply #343 on: November 03, 2017, 05:04:53 PM »
+1
http://www.imdb.com/list/ls005169472/

Val Lewton fits. And I think he may have talked about George Cukor's Gaslight (1944) once.

Maybe Fritz Lang's Secret Beyond the Door (1947)

And Joseph L. Mankiewicz's Dragonwyck (1946), which is coming to blu-ray from Twilight Time soon. Rebecca is straight up mentioned in its trailer:

A simple Connecticut farm girl is recruited by a distant relative, an aristocratic patroon, to be governess to his young daughter in his Hudson Valley mansion.

For Miranda Wells (Gene Tierney), moving to New York to live in Dragonwyck Manor with her rich cousin, Nicholas (Vincent Price), seems like a dream. However, the situation gradually becomes nightmarish. She observes Nicholas' troubled relationship with his tenant farmers, as well as with his daughter (Connie Marshall), to whom Miranda serves as governess. Her relationship with Nicholas intensifies after his wife dies, but his mental imbalance threatens any hope of happiness.

BigSock

• The Vision Quest
  • Respect: +35
« Reply #344 on: November 03, 2017, 09:03:32 PM »
PTA confirmed those rumors from months ago that DDL was heavily involved during writing process

DMCA & Copyright | Terms & Conditions | Privacy Policy