Author Topic: Phantom Thread  (Read 44150 times)

modage and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

wilberfan

• The Road of Trials
  • Respect: +41
Re: Phantom Thread
« Reply #270 on: October 23, 2017, 11:18:15 AM »
It doesn't reveal too much of the plot.

Or does it?   :ponder:

Drenk

• The Return Threshold
  • Respect: +474
« Reply #271 on: October 23, 2017, 11:20:35 AM »
Yes. I have seen the first two frames of the trailer and it looked like a PTA movie to me. In England.

LMAO just watch the trailer dude. It doesn't reveal too much of the plot.

No? And I saw them because it begins automatically on Twitter. I don't like to let my mind beginning to fill the holes with a trailer especially for a Paul Thomas Anderson movie—these rare gems. I imagined a whole part about Freddy's time in the war for The Master because of the trailers and teasers and was disappointed in a totally irrational way. I don't care about the plot.
I'm so many people.

wilberfan

• The Road of Trials
« Reply #272 on: October 23, 2017, 11:23:44 AM »
It doesn't reveal too much of the plot.

Or does it?   :ponder:

Deceptive trailer for sure. Just to lure the mainstream audiences. Remember the Inherent Vice trailer?
Kinda has a Downton Abbey feel to it LOL.

Yes.  "Downton Abbey".  "The Crown".  Should definitely get the over-50 crowd into the theaters...or at least get their attention.

convalescent_k

• The Call to Adventure
  • Respect: +22
« Reply #273 on: October 23, 2017, 11:28:13 AM »
+2
looks great.  understated in a sublime way.  also, stately as fuck.

wilberfan

• The Road of Trials
« Reply #274 on: October 23, 2017, 11:59:39 AM »
"You can sew almost anything into the canvas of a coat.  When I was a boy, I started to hide things in the linings of the garments.  Things that only I knew were there.  Secrets."

Try this experiment:  Rewatch the trailer, holding the idea that Woodcock is a homosexual in 1950's London...  Every scene could be viewed as consistent with that.   

Or a total misdirect.

wilberfan

• The Road of Trials
« Reply #275 on: October 23, 2017, 12:27:54 PM »
And, yes, I've been making myself giggle by staring at that picture and intoning,

Rosebud...

:yabbse-grin:

KJ

• The Magic Flight
  • Respect: +259
« Reply #276 on: October 23, 2017, 02:28:48 PM »
i thought it would look a lot more "out there" considering inherent vice and the master, but i'm not getting that vibe from the trailer at all. maybe this is more low-key then I originally thought. there's some good moments, but nothing got me as exiting as the first the master teaser or twbb trailer.

also, hello oscars?

WorldForgot

• The Road of Trials
  • 'change your hair, change your life'
  • Respect: +43
    • tweettweet
« Reply #277 on: October 23, 2017, 02:39:02 PM »
Maybe this illuminates that I am an incurable (delusional?) romantic, but this is looking to be my second favorite PTA concept yet. Inherent Vice did it for me, in a way I didn't know cinema could, the heart pangs and elusive memories. This is another beast. Closer to PDL's howl.

Maybe if There Will Be Blood and The Master were a couplet, this will match IV's romantic-haze in stark cuts and fine lines of lovers at odds.

Very excited for this Christmas.

Drenk

• The Return Threshold
  • Respect: +474
« Reply #278 on: October 23, 2017, 04:09:42 PM »
It's not news that some people have seen it. I wouldn't care about what henry123 has to say, though.
I'm so many people.

csage97

• The Call to Adventure
  • Respect: +5
« Reply #279 on: October 23, 2017, 04:14:55 PM »
It's different than what I'd envisioned in my mind's eye, but that was to be expected. A lot more white light than I thought there'd be. But I'm pleasantly surprised. It's unmistakably PTA-looking. It retains a lot of what The Master and Inherent Vice looked like but has less Robert Elswit and more recent music video PTA (obviously and understandably).

Jeremy Blackman

• Admin
  • Respect: +1309
« Reply #280 on: October 23, 2017, 04:21:29 PM »
+4
https://mobile.twitter.com/henryturlingto1/status/922521145668263936

Thoughts on this thread? DDL is not the lead and the movie is "garbage"?

What Drenk said. I don't know if Twitter opinions are useful unless it's a first-hand account. This thread could get a bit cluttered with rumors and such if we obsess about that sort of thing.

Also, it looks like henry123 is an anti-Jewish crusader. (On Twitter of all places. Shocking.)
"Hunger is the purest sin"

jviness02

• The Call to Adventure
  • Respect: +16
« Reply #281 on: October 23, 2017, 04:55:29 PM »
I've heard DDL is the lead, but you could argue they are "co-leads". This is from the same source I got the Reynolds Woodcock info.

Vicko99

• The Call to Adventure
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #282 on: October 23, 2017, 05:17:25 PM »
I've heard DDL is the lead, but you could argue they are "co-leads". This is from the same source I got the Reynolds Woodcock info.
Tell us something more!!!!

polkablues

• Child of Myth
  • Admin
  • Respect: +1817
« Reply #283 on: October 23, 2017, 05:32:51 PM »
+5
If I was shown that trailer absent any foreknowledge or context, I would never guess it was a Paul Thomas Anderson film, and that fact excites me more than I can describe. The greatest filmmaker in the world is doing something he hasn't done before. Regardless of anyone's personal impressions of the trailer itself, if that doesn't give you a tingle, you should give up on movies altogether.
Now you're in the *spoiler* place.

©brad

• Admin
  • Respect: +225
« Reply #284 on: October 23, 2017, 05:45:25 PM »
+2
If I was shown that trailer absent any foreknowledge or context, I would never guess it was a Paul Thomas Anderson film, and that fact excites me more than I can describe. The greatest filmmaker in the world is doing something he hasn't done before. Regardless of anyone's personal impressions of the trailer itself, if that doesn't give you a tingle, you should give up on movies altogether.

Agreed. I'm kinda bummed about the lack of enthusiasm so far. Come on Xixax, do you know how rare a moment it is when a PTA trailer drops? It's almost as exciting as watching the film itself. We should be turned up to 11 right now. This was me when I first saw the trailer in my Facebook feed before immediately clicking over here.

It's amazing how with every first viewing of a PTA trailer - this one included - you NEVER know what to expect. Most of your predictions are usually proven wrong (in a good way). I don't know how the man does it.

DMCA & Copyright | Terms & Conditions | Privacy Policy