Author Topic: Phantom Thread  (Read 89136 times)

jenkins

• The Master of Two Worlds
  • Respect: +1562
Re: Phantom Thread
« Reply #495 on: January 04, 2018, 07:10:01 PM »
here's why Star Wars is there on a 4 week stay

Disney is reportedly, per the Wall Street Journal, demanding a 65% cut of The Last Jedi‘s domestic ticket sales along with a four-week hold in each venue’s largest auditorium and a 5% B.O. penalty to any theater owner who breaks any part of the contract including taking the film off-screen

boogienights

• The Call to Adventure
  • Respect: +3
« Reply #496 on: January 04, 2018, 08:27:34 PM »
Question:  I can't tell which screenings at the ArcLight (ie, 'The Dome') are actually in that auditorium.  There doesn't seem to be any indication on the website, and the start times are an hour apart in some cases.  What am I missing?

Not in the dome I think cinemas 3 and 6, I saw it in cinema 3 it was stunning.

Dome is probably for Star Wars, while it's a cool theater I wouldn't worry too much the Arclight has a really high level of picture and sound throughout and I *believe* cinema 3 was constant height, I.E. the right way to exhibit movies.

It's a little bit of a bummer given IV was shown at the dome, but at the same time Phantom Thread is 1.85:1 doesn't need that huge auditorium.

EDIT: Redundant information, sorry.

jenkins

• Respect: +1562
« Reply #497 on: January 04, 2018, 08:39:00 PM »
+1
frankly i think it's within the logic of theaters to expect it in the Dome. Jan 14 is the 4 week end of Star Wars and Jan 19 is the wide release of Phantom Thread. it'll still be at theater and there's logic in wanting the full use of your 70mm print.

deliberate or accidental how would i know. this is how it's listed in imdb showtimes

this is still true and it makes far more sense that it's indeed a deliberate joke. Xixax i know you know the joke

wilberfan

• The Meeting with the Goddess
  • Respect: +191
« Reply #498 on: January 05, 2018, 02:32:11 AM »
It's a little bit of a bummer given IV was shown at the dome, but at the same time Phantom Thread is 1.85:1 doesn't need that huge auditorium.

Interesting point.  I think it's revealing of my PTA-centricity that I assumed Thread would be in the Dome.  Also perhaps because that's where we saw The Master on it's opening weekend...
"Trying to fit in since 2017."

KJ

• The Return Threshold
  • Respect: +382
« Reply #499 on: January 07, 2018, 12:33:26 AM »
is this the favorite for the best soundtrack Oscar?

WorldForgot

• The Vision Quest
  • 'change your hair, change your life'
  • Respect: +102
    • tweettweet
« Reply #500 on: January 07, 2018, 07:48:09 PM »

IV is 1:85, too.

boogienights

• The Call to Adventure
« Reply #501 on: January 07, 2018, 08:29:09 PM »

IV is 1:85, too.

Yeah.

Saw it before I got into film making so I had no idea the difference between scope and flat.

Interesting how he's gone 1.85 since The Master after more or less a career in anamorphic scope.

I usually prefer scope, but he's a master frame composer, either ratios look incredible in his movies.

While it would be cool to have Phantom Thread in the dome, let's be honest-- Star Wars is a big scope action flick, while I hated it, it's okay that it's in the dome. Not like Phantom Thread was looking shabby in 70mm in Cinema 3, in fact I thought it was an incredible presentation. 

WorldForgot

• The Vision Quest
  • 'change your hair, change your life'
  • Respect: +102
    • tweettweet
« Reply #502 on: January 07, 2018, 08:39:13 PM »
Also, Arclight has that comfortable space between front row and the Image.
All the better for breathing in the House of Woodcock.

Drenk

• Respect: +587
« Reply #503 on: January 07, 2018, 10:40:04 PM »
+1
I'm so many people.

boogienights

• The Call to Adventure
« Reply #504 on: January 08, 2018, 08:24:50 PM »
Also, Arclight has that comfortable space between front row and the Image.
All the better for breathing in the House of Woodcock.

Better theater than Landmark. I know a lot of people, including film makers, love the landmark, but I never really feel like I"m getting as good of an experience compared to the Arclight, mostly in terms of sound.

Drenk

• Respect: +587
« Reply #505 on: January 12, 2018, 03:57:19 AM »
"Three-time Oscar-winning actor Daniel Day-Lewis will be in Athens for the premiere of his new film Phantom Thread on Feb. 1, at the Stavros Niarchos Foundation Cultural Center."
I'm so many people.

modage

• Admin
  • Respect: +792
    • Floating Heads
« Reply #506 on: January 12, 2018, 09:27:09 AM »
+1
Score now available on Spotify.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

eward

• Respect: +112
« Reply #507 on: January 12, 2018, 09:59:53 AM »
I think this is easily Greenwood's best work, and I've been listening to the Master OST regularly since it came out.
"Do you laugh at jealousy?"

"No, I don't even laugh at seasickness! I happen to regard jealousy as the seasickness of passion."

greenberryhill

• The Road of Trials
  • Respect: +96
« Reply #508 on: January 12, 2018, 03:54:38 PM »
+1
I found these tv spots, they have some footage i haven´t seen in other teasers or trailers so be careful for MINOR SPOILERS.

velociraptor

• The Road of Trials
  • Respect: +62
« Reply #509 on: January 12, 2018, 08:57:39 PM »
Haven't seen the movie yet. But oh my god "Barbara Rose" is a STUNNING track even without context.

DMCA & Copyright | Terms & Conditions | Privacy Policy