Author Topic: Phantom Thread  (Read 88886 times)

csage97

• The Vision Quest
  • Respect: +32
Re: Phantom Thread
« Reply #285 on: October 23, 2017, 07:57:51 PM »
+2
I had to give this some time to breathe in my brain. Wow. Looks amazing. Don't get the criticisms at all, unless it's simply not what people expected. I can understand that. But this isn't any M&I stuff - it's not even Terence Davies does M&I. It's PTA, period. The crescendoing music cut bluntly with the clip of the scissors on fabric, the rat-a-tat dialogue at the trailers end. Shivers! What about this looks like a happy, romantic love story? My take is that it's about the pursuit of perfection, something that is never attainable. A doomed desire for control. And, of course, much more, that we simply can't know from a brief trailer. Is Woodcock homosexual? Possibly. But I'm betting there's something more interesting than that here. After all, you can sew almost anything into the canvas of a coat. There's the promise of plenty of surprises. It gets better every time I watch it. Cannot fucking wait.

I'm with you on this one. I was skeptical after the plot synopsis a couple days ago, but after seeing the trailer, it seems that there's tons of mystery and something strange woven into the story, just as the title and the music suggests. I was worried it would just be a stately basic love story, but I'm thinking and hoping there's going to be something more odd going on.

This frame is unmistakably PTA, by the way.

jenkins

• The Master of Two Worlds
  • Respect: +1561
« Reply #286 on: October 23, 2017, 08:01:38 PM »
+1
The FYC Ad is up:

DDL is Leading, Krieps is Leading; Manville is Supporting

PTA is not listed for Cinematography

https://focusfeaturesguilds2017.com/categories/phantom-thread/

Dammit.

according to its imdb page, which was nodoubt inputted by the production company, PTA isn't credited as being the cinematographer. i'd go ahead and guess that means a nomination isn't possible.

polkablues

• Child of Myth
  • Admin
  • Respect: +1954
« Reply #287 on: October 23, 2017, 08:14:44 PM »
according to its imdb page, which was nodoubt inputted by the production company, PTA isn't credited as being the cinematographer. i'd go ahead and guess that means a nomination isn't possible.

Most likely the result of Guild-related complexities concerning who can be credited how. If he chose to be credited as a pseudonym, like Soderbergh does for his cinematography, or the Coens for their editing, he could still be nominated (technically the pseudonym would get the nomination). I have no idea how nominations might work if there literally is no cinematographer credit on the film, or even if the ASC would allow it to be uncredited in that way.
First things first, I'm surrealist

martinthewarrior

• The Road of Trials
  • Respect: +23
« Reply #288 on: October 23, 2017, 08:45:47 PM »
+1
i really don't think there's much dispute toward Scorsese being the greatest living filmmaker. it's just kind of funny to say anyone else.

I think Scorsese's films are very often brilliant (Goodfellas can still melt my brain whenever I watch it), so I'll avoid the term "best" and say that PTA is my favorite living filmmaker.  My heart isn't broken if Marty makes a 'dud';  I'm still butthurt over Inherent Vice.

Except Inherent Vice is a masterpiece, so there's that.

tpfkabi

• Respect: +24
    • twitter deed, twitter dead. in the heart or in the head?
« Reply #289 on: October 23, 2017, 09:26:33 PM »
+1
I wonder if there will be some Vertigo vibes and there is also the use of the name, Alma.

The table shot makes me think of Barry Lyndon and some shots of EWS - maybe the Christmas decorations/stairs.

This reminded me of Jack White hiding vinyl records in the furniture he made pre-White Stripes.

"Women come and go through Woodcock’s life, providing the confirmed bachelor with inspiration and companionship, until he comes across a young, strong-willed woman, Alma (Vicky Krieps), who soon becomes a fixture in his life as his muse and lover. Once controlled and planned, he finds his carefully tailored life disrupted by love."

I wonder if PTA having a relationship with a comedienne will inform this at least a little bit indirectly.
As to 'more reserved socially' versus the opposite.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

jviness02

• The Call to Adventure
  • Respect: +30
« Reply #290 on: October 23, 2017, 10:15:36 PM »
+1
I wonder if there will be some Vertigo vibes and there is also the use of the name, Alma.

The table shot makes me think of Barry Lyndon and some shots of EWS - maybe the Christmas decorations/stairs.

This reminded me of Jack White hiding vinyl records in the furniture he made pre-White Stripes.

"Women come and go through Woodcock’s life, providing the confirmed bachelor with inspiration and companionship, until he comes across a young, strong-willed woman, Alma (Vicky Krieps), who soon becomes a fixture in his life as his muse and lover. Once controlled and planned, he finds his carefully tailored life disrupted by love."

I wonder if PTA having a relationship with a comedienne will inform this at least a little bit indirectly.

Vertigo would be interesting, but the trailer seemed to have a call back to another Hitchcock classic when DDL was peering through that door...

Jeremy Blackman

• Admin
  • Respect: +1470
« Reply #291 on: October 23, 2017, 10:17:41 PM »
+1
I absolutely love the logo design for the title that's used in the trailer, and it actually makes me like "Phantom Thread" a whole lot more. Wish that was used in all the marketing.
"Hunger is the purest sin"

Rooty Poots

• The Call to Adventure
  • Respect: +37
    • Rooty Poots
« Reply #292 on: October 24, 2017, 02:01:59 AM »
I absolutely love the logo design for the title that's used in the trailer, and it actually makes me like "Phantom Thread" a whole lot more. Wish that was used in all the marketing.

Really? I was so disappointed when I saw the type treatment for the titles a few months ago, but assumed it was just a temp treatment PTA used to give Dustin Stanton an idea of the feeling he wanted and would be eventually replaced with more professional type design. The ornamental swashes and odd, uneven lettering feels amateur and the least attractive of all of PTA's type treatments, to me. (That being said, this movie looks absolutely gorgeous. Just from the trailer, it looks like the shots may be more composed in general than the more seat-of-the-pants, improvisational look that much of Inherent Vice and even The Master had. And it looks like it'll transport me to a world I won't want to leave. I'd personally be very happy to hear a 194 minute runtime confirmed.)

jviness02

• The Call to Adventure
  • Respect: +30
« Reply #293 on: October 24, 2017, 02:48:25 AM »
I've heard DDL is the lead, but you could argue they are "co-leads". This is from the same source I got the Reynolds Woodcock info.

Spill more details please  :shock: Do you have any word on the runtime of the film  :ponder:

Longer than Sydney and PDL. Most likely shorter than everything else.

BigSock

• The Road of Trials
  • Respect: +29
« Reply #294 on: October 24, 2017, 03:57:17 AM »
I've heard DDL is the lead, but you could argue they are "co-leads". This is from the same source I got the Reynolds Woodcock info.

Spill more details please  :shock: Do you have any word on the runtime of the film  :ponder:

Longer than Sydney and PDL. Most likely shorter than everything else.

I grow more curious by the day as I salivate over these details! So about 120 minutes or so... interesting. Seems like a relatively more intimate, narratively straightforward film compared to the epic mosaics of his last 3.

Drenk

• Respect: +587
« Reply #295 on: October 24, 2017, 07:43:18 AM »
At least his Oscar for TWBB has been stolen by a great film.
I'm so many people.

Sleepless

• The Master of Three Worlds
  • I told you I would eat you
  • Respect: +400
« Reply #296 on: October 24, 2017, 08:50:56 AM »
+1

Because she's blocking the fucking screen.
Some people have a fear of snakes. That was a somewhat rational fear. And you could do something about it at least. Stay away from long grass and nature documentaries. Easy. Others have a fear of heights. That was manageable too. Avoid tall ladders. But how do you cope when your fear is something you can’t avoid? That you have no hope of staying away from? Being afraid of the sky, where are you going to go?

axxonn

• The Call to Adventure
  • Respect: +11
« Reply #297 on: October 24, 2017, 10:38:57 AM »

Vertigo would be interesting, but the trailer seemed to have a call back to another Hitchcock classic when DDL was peering through that door...

And the light on DDL's eye looks identical to the light on Phoenix in the final shot of Inherent Vice

Fernando

• satan's little helper
  • Respect: +242
« Reply #298 on: October 24, 2017, 11:57:06 AM »
I want PTA to win Oscars for best director and best screenplay at some point, but I have a feeling this one won't win him those. :(

Fuck the oscars, it's rare when the best film is even nominated. e.g. 2001, The Master

polkablues

• Child of Myth
  • Admin
  • Respect: +1954
« Reply #299 on: October 24, 2017, 12:00:36 PM »
+1
When PTA finally wins his Oscars, it will be Scorsese-style: two decades late and for entirely the wrong movie.
First things first, I'm surrealist

DMCA & Copyright | Terms & Conditions | Privacy Policy