Author Topic: Inherent Vice - SPOILERS!  (Read 36618 times)

wilder

• Respect: +1588
Re: Inherent Vice - SPOILERS!
« Reply #120 on: February 18, 2015, 06:31:52 PM »
+1
The screenplay is finally online

putneyswipe

• The Call to Adventure
  • Respect: +18
« Reply #121 on: February 18, 2015, 08:32:15 PM »
+1
Is "Well Mornin' Sam" (in Sortilege's introduction of Bigfoot) a reference to some TV show? I think that line can be heard at one point on Doc's TV in the background. Thanks!

Sortilège: [narrating] Well Mornin' Sam, like a bad luck planet in today's horoscope, here's the old hippie-hating mad dog himself in the flesh: Lieutenant Detective Christian F. "Bigfoot" Bjornsen. SAG member, John Wayne walk, flat top of Flintstone proportions and that evil, little shit-twinkle in his eye that says Civil Rights Violations.

maybe it's this

Ulivija

• The Call to Adventure
  • Respect: +19
« Reply #122 on: February 19, 2015, 09:21:27 AM »
Thank you, sir! You are the Master.

"Mornin' Sam" audio cue comes right after Aunt Reet says she has major eyeliner issues, and before Bigfoot's ad for Channel View Estates.

I guess Doc watching Ralph and Sam is the equivalent of Freddie watching Casper the friendly ghost.

Somebody with Wikipedia connections should add this to the pop culture references for the Ralph and Sam entry:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ralph_Wolf_and_Sam_Sheepdog

Drenk

• The Magic Flight
  • Respect: +446
« Reply #123 on: February 21, 2015, 11:39:05 PM »
You should read Poetics, of course. The writers etablishing it as The Rule always make me laugh, though.
I'm so many people.

Korova

• The Call to Adventure
  • Respect: +12
« Reply #124 on: February 22, 2015, 12:27:44 PM »
+1
Eel Trovatore... hahahha... Gotta hand it to Pynchon, he is the master of puns.
Btw, I just saw that opera in Munich. It's definitely not Verdi's masterpiece, but there is some gorgeousness to find in there. For example this:

:bravo:

modage

• Admin
  • Respect: +698
    • Floating Heads
« Reply #125 on: March 02, 2015, 07:29:02 AM »
+4
It's directly on iTunes, you scroll down on the IV page and, if you've bought the movie, you can click on iTunes extras. And watch them.

Moving to Spoiler thread...

That's great. Looks like there's 3 previously unreleased presumably PTA-cut trailers & a "Back Beyond"-style nearly 6 min compilation of deleted scenes.

Both the trailers and the deleted scenes have more dialogue, alt. versions, cut scenes. Pretty cool. Most interesting of which is Club Asiatique scene as well as the Tariq/Clancy stuff.

And who's the dude with white hair? Either Doc's dad or maybe Fritz?

Keeping track of all this shit here:
http://modage.tumblr.com/post/112509993206/the-deleted-scenes-alternate-takes-of-inherent
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Something Spanish

• The Vision Quest
  • Respect: +42
« Reply #126 on: March 02, 2015, 08:34:07 AM »
+2
probably thomas jefferson hallucination.

Larry

• The Road of Trials
  • Respect: +86
« Reply #127 on: March 02, 2015, 09:08:09 AM »
+2
asiatique scene is soo cool. Jade was great and her delivery is like lubitsch style.. in fact, i cant believe pta didnt include that little scene of them inside the club!

the shot of joaquin and doc in the car kills me lol

the thomas jefferson shot is my favorite...Doc is on LSD at this moment in the novel while talking to him. forget the entire content of the situation but if it interests anyone i could look it up

that and the shot of Tariq and Clancy is also one of my favorites. It was a really graphic scene in the novel where Tariq is fucking Clancy in Doc's office and he walks in on them ]

this frame was also beautiful. reminds me of Tropical Malady

(Tropical Malady)

modage

• Admin
  • Respect: +698
    • Floating Heads
« Reply #128 on: March 02, 2015, 11:37:49 AM »
probably thomas jefferson hallucination.
Oh shit, of course. That's what that is. Yep, good call.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Alexandro

• The Master of Two Worlds
  • Respect: +470
« Reply #129 on: March 03, 2015, 11:48:26 AM »
+7
This is an endlessly hypnotic and entertaining movie. Not in the usual, audience friendly way, but in how it demands from you to be alert the whole time. Really, you can't do as much as blink during this film without missing some important development. I don't agree that this is a film where is best to not pay attention to the plot because it's so dense. I mean, that's all they talk about, and it's not like the film leaves that unresolved. The thing is that PTA is basically continuing what I've always felt was the most distinctive feature in The Master, which is the "nuts and bolts" approach to the narrative and editing.

I saw IV and tried my best, but by the end it was clear there were things I just didn't understand, characters I didn't fully grasp where they came from and why they were there, and a few details that when I re watched the next day turned out to be important. And yes, of course on second viewing the whole who dunnit plot was crystal clear, and the melancholic atmosphere more resonant. I commented about The Master that the film goes from scene to scene with such a fast tempo and dealing only with the most essential information (visual, narrative, performance wise) that audiences cannot keep up with it, give up and then accuse the film of being slow. With IV the same is happening (slow is now accompanied by incoherent), even though there are no loose ends in this film, beyond the unimportant details of how the Golden Fang works or it's actual reach in this world. The thing is that just like in The Master, this film is not waiting for anyone.

Take the first scene, where the plot is set. It just starts. And characters waste no time explaining anything to us more than once. If you don't follow the intricacies of this setup only in this one scene alone, you're already lost before the 10 minute mark. The film keeps this pace all through it. Essential information (again plot-wise, character, visual, narrative-wise) is given like a clock, and it's a testament to PTA's brilliance that within this merciless discipline he manages to create a languid, relaxed and at the same time funny, paranoid and melancholic mood. The Master's story is like an Aesop's fable compared to the complexity of IV's plot, with many places, names, references, thrown in scene by scene. Sure, the film aims to portrait confusion and the feeling of being lost in a haze, but it's not actually abandoning it's plot and it's main character's essentials (it has been already been brilliantly pointed out here that Doc's arc has to do with recovering SOMETHING in light of his loss of Shasta, who's definitely gone after her first scene, and that something materializes in helping Coy to return home).

I'm very excited by what PTA is doing with narrative cinema. He might just be the only filmmaker within this trend to be actually exploring new ground and finding new ways to do strictly narrative films. I know he's an Apichatpong fan, but unlike him and many other auteurs who are basically on the other end of the cinema spectrum, he feels no need to extend takes endlessly or fill minutes with silence as a way to contemplation. He does the opposite, and I think he's on to something really special.

jenkins

• Respect: +1357
    • Neon Burrito
« Reply #130 on: March 03, 2015, 07:14:14 PM »
I don't agree that this is a film where is best to not pay attention to the plot because it's so dense.

not that it's best, that it's possible. liked your post and i just wanna further bolster the idea that iv is appreciable through direct engagement. if you're referring to what i've said. if you're referring to something someone else has said, oh i'm including myself in the conversation for no apparent reason, that's all
Every perspective is an act of creation.

• SBD
  • positive energy;
  • Respect: +455
« Reply #131 on: March 03, 2015, 10:48:55 PM »
+1
i think we all need to accept that this is his worst film and move on. please.

Alexandro

• Respect: +470
« Reply #132 on: March 03, 2015, 11:58:42 PM »
no, jenkins, I was not referring to something you said, just that after seeing it and checking out some metacritic reviews, some of the overviews mentioned an approach like that, which seems to me to suggest that since the film's plot is incomprehensible we should just enjoy the vibe. of course is possible but it's not that kind of film, like the big lebowski, where the understanding of the plot is independent of the enjoyment of the humor and spirit of the film to the point that you could almost do fine without it. this isn't the case because the basic plot of inherent vice is a representation of the film's thesis that 60's counterculture was absorbed by 70's disillusionment and paranoia, and it's not incomprehensible. it just isn't. that's an objective observation.

03, if this is his worst film then it's a worst film better than most films. I'm no longer rating this dude's films because they're all too good and unique to rate them in relation to each other. I don't understand....you are saying this because you think what I wrote is a stretch? A way to justify the film in light of certain (very lazy) criticisms? i'm just sharing what I feel, man.

• SBD
  • positive energy;
  • Respect: +455
« Reply #133 on: March 04, 2015, 01:06:10 AM »
nothing that i said had anything to do with you whatsoever.

jenkins

• Respect: +1357
    • Neon Burrito
« Reply #134 on: March 04, 2015, 03:07:59 AM »
+4
no, jenkins, I was not referring to something you said, just that after seeing it and checking out some metacritic reviews, some of the overviews mentioned an approach like that, which seems to me to suggest that since the film's plot is incomprehensible we should just enjoy the vibe. of course is possible but it's not that kind of film, like the big lebowski, where the understanding of the plot is independent of the enjoyment of the humor and spirit of the film to the point that you could almost do fine without it. this isn't the case because the basic plot of inherent vice is a representation of the film's thesis that 60's counterculture was absorbed by 70's disillusionment and paranoia, and it's not incomprehensible. it just isn't. that's an objective observation.

the movie's thesis is part of its substance, and it works comprehensibly on a first pass through subjective observations between the movie and the audience, you ask me

it's a pta/pynchon movie and of course the more you look into it the more there is. i just think it'd be healthy for pta fans to realize what topics they're more interested in than most everyone else who watches movies. like, you can go to the beach for a stroll or you can go to the beach with a metal detector, but the point is you went to the beach
Every perspective is an act of creation.

DMCA & Copyright | Terms & Conditions | Privacy Policy