Author Topic: i'll be sharing  (Read 10596 times)

Drenk

• The Magic Flight
  • Respect: +394
Re: i'll be sharing
« Reply #75 on: June 16, 2017, 01:45:00 PM »
+1
I bought it with Amazon.fr but it says there is no stock. I received Larry Angeles within two days.

EDIT: Nevermind. Amazon sent me a mail, I'm receiving it in July.
I'm so many people.

N

• The Vision Quest
  • Don't forget this fact, you can't get it back.
  • Respect: +105
« Reply #76 on: June 18, 2017, 07:46:23 AM »
+1
I haven't actually finished Larry Angeles yet :(

I read like a quarter and then I forgot about it (nothing to do with the book's contents, I do that with nearly every book, even my textbooks for university)
Need to have another go at it. It just ended up in a box with the 50 other books I bought with every intention of reading. Would this book be classified as bizarro?

Congrats and best wishes anyway!

jenkins

• The Master of Two Worlds
  • Respect: +1258
    • Neon Burrito
« Reply #77 on: June 18, 2017, 11:16:15 AM »
+2
sweetie i believe that what you're forgetting is you never bought Larry Angeles xx

the main text of Oscar Wilde's The Picture of Dorian Gray is creative nonfiction, except i categorized it as fiction / black humor. because there's not a fucking moment that describes me doing anything i've done. none of it has happened, actually. i had a lot of fun writing it. i don't know of another book like it, kind of. i had already begun writing it when i started reading The Complete Works of Marvin K. Mooney, a selection i made from bookstacks in my room, searching for a book it'd be a good idea for me to read while writing this, and a certain shared spirit between me and that book was one of those marvelous cosmic coincidences. but my tone and narrative intention are quite dissimilar to that book, which is almost like mad at the reader and mad at oneself. i'm pissed at the world, you know, and Ferdydurke helped me realize i can be a bit pissy, if i want to be, and my tone and narrative intention were also a result of Água Viva allowing my sense of self unlimited space, and The Argonauts was the book which made it clear to me that the world of nonfiction was serious business.

the first fragment shared in the book, mentioned within the novelette, is an imitation of a style i learned from Horacio Castellanos Moya. it's straight up a 54-page one-sentence expression of personal anxiety.

the second fragment is the beginning portion of my planned bizarro fiction book. so this part is classified as bizarro, except i didn't write it long enough to fully express that subgenre's loveliest features, which features i do twice describe within OWTPODG, also emulating the genre within the book's overall mechanics, since there's cosmic harmony between me and this idea: "strives not only to be strange, but fascinating, thought-provoking, and, above all, fun to read."

there's also an adult-kids book, which to me just seemed like an obvious good idea for a type of book.
"I must whisper it to you—not because Im ashamed but because it is so Dear to me that I must keep it close to me by whispering—"

N

• The Vision Quest
« Reply #78 on: June 18, 2017, 01:45:18 PM »
+3
Regardless, that sounds quite interesting. A 54-page single sentence sounds super tricky to write, grammatically. If I recall correctly DFW's short story Incarnations of Burned Children is only a single sentence? That could be wrong, actually I know it's wrong because I just looked it up and there's full stops, but it was about the only fragment of literary expertise I could muster in the attempt to form a purportedly lucid response. If that fails my backup plan is to increase the bandwidth on the bandpass butterworth filter for my vocabulary mid-sentence, and use overly specific and ill-fitting technical analogies to hopefully confuse you into thinking I have any idea about books.

For some reason I can read non-fiction at twice the speed of fiction but that's generally because there's no subtext in computer science. Good non fiction I imagine could be quite poetic and concise, like Nietzsche or something. Or if Nabokov had written The Origin of Species instead of that lunatic.

I've got an exam in an hour, probably should've written this reply after, if I remember when I get back I'll check out those links in detail.

jenkins

• Neon Burrito
« Reply #79 on: June 18, 2017, 01:52:45 PM »
+1
oh that's right, i don't understand how to read my reports. may it be that the "sweetie" and "xx" pay off, and in my opinion the ending of Larry Angeles is strong.

we're at the happy ending. of course i loved the way you talked about how you're currently thinking of writing, which segued into self reflection. i think you'd like OWTPODG. it's perhaps more of a guy book than i'd necessarily want it to be, based on within OWTPODG the reader i imagine is often a rational person who sometimes seems frustrated by my emotions.
"I must whisper it to you—not because Im ashamed but because it is so Dear to me that I must keep it close to me by whispering—"

N

• The Vision Quest
« Reply #80 on: June 18, 2017, 02:11:17 PM »
That's actually a pretty cool idea, similar to what Dostoevsky did in Notes From Underground maybe. What I remember of Larry Angeles was well written but I had trouble relating to LA having never been there, but I suppose I have actually been there in your camera. Forgot what your short film was named, something to do with roses or something? That film was fantastic anyway, shame on me for not finishing Larry Angeles, but don't take it personally, I still haven't even seen the entirety of 2001 either.

jenkins

• Neon Burrito
« Reply #81 on: June 18, 2017, 02:38:33 PM »
well i figure if you (the reader) like me you already like me, so i'd like to imagine myself getting along with someone not like me. and find avenues for reflection upon shared aspects of the human condition. that's the basic setup. Gooses was the name of the short but i would've titled it Something To Do With Roses Or Something? in a heartbeat. no shame, only forward xx

polkablues

• Child of Myth
  • Admin
  • Respect: +1666
« Reply #82 on: June 20, 2017, 04:46:32 PM »
+5
Hey everyone, look what came in the mail today.

For fun, here's the first cover design I made, which is nice and I like it on its own merits, but I like the one that ended up being used much better. Still, a nice little easter egg for the completists out there.

Now you're in the *spoiler* place.

jenkins

• Neon Burrito
« Reply #83 on: June 20, 2017, 05:04:42 PM »
+2
xx. i should've put it in the book. i would've been happy with either of course.

its sale is currently on pause, as i'm reading a physical copy and noticing final things. maybe 13 typos i've noticed, which number i'm biased toward and is semi-accurate, within 170pgs. they all rush me to the computer and none of them break my heart or destroy the spirit. in literature land the ones with the typos are the collector's edition.

polka thanks again. i mean, it's really fun to thank you. i'm not sure why but thanks. i'm posi that if you got a capsule review to help the community it'd help the community. but ultimately like the mother says in Volver everything about us is up to us. i've done what i've thought i can do. the book was sent to 4 writers. so i did that too. the final scenario is at least that the next news will be the release of my new book. it's ridiculous to think of me walking away from writing.

polkablues

• Child of Myth
  • Admin
  • Respect: +1666
« Reply #84 on: June 20, 2017, 05:14:09 PM »
I want to reread it first, plus read the additional material in the book that I haven't seen yet, then I'll definitely post my thoughts.

And thanks for giving me the opportunity to design the cover for you. It was a fun process, and it's a pretty cool thing to be able to hold in my hands and put on my shelf.
Now you're in the *spoiler* place.

DMCA & Copyright | Terms & Conditions | Privacy Policy