XIXAX Film Forum

Better Call Saul

Kal · 205 · 39840

Jeremy Blackman

• Admin
Reply #195 on: February 27, 2020, 11:20:27 AM
Enjoyed the episodes as always. So much writerly subtext in practically every scene. And Lalo is indeed a great character. But two bits felt off for me:

Spoiler: ShowHide
The crime spree montage was a little ridiculous. Strange theory that those guys would be inspired to do crime when they learn their consequences might be 50% less. Unless they are truly stupid as dirt. And maybe that's what the show is trying to say. Still, a weird lack of subtlety.

Mike's blowup at Kaylee was strange and went on too long. Am I wrong? Just seemed like he would catch himself and take back some self-control. He was weirdly committed to bullying her for much longer than I was willing to buy.
"Hunger is the purest sin"

WorldForgot

• The Magic Flight
  • 'change your hair, change your life'
    • portfolio ~
Reply #196 on: February 27, 2020, 11:47:12 AM
To me it was the editing of his outburst that was odd, not the performance or writing so much. The composition became this almost Kaylee-POV that was odd, and idk how to describe it, but the edit just felt more subjective than BB/BCS usually plays out for a moment like that, from Mike's profile to that head-on shot. The performance felt honest to me, though. Hungover, guilty, pestered.

WorldForgot

• The Magic Flight
    • portfolio ~
Reply #197 on: February 27, 2020, 06:42:16 PM

Jeremy Blackman

• Admin
Reply #198 on: April 02, 2020, 09:34:17 PM
Alright so this week's episode was one of the best of the whole series. I highly recommend this season.
"Hunger is the purest sin"

Drenk

• The Master of Two Worlds
Reply #199 on: April 02, 2020, 09:46:19 PM
I loved the last two episodes! Especially the last one, yes. I found the beginning of the season very rough and I had lost faith with the show, but they managed to find another way to make the fall of Jimmy intense and poignant again.
Ascension.

WorldForgot

• The Magic Flight
    • portfolio ~
Reply #200 on: April 02, 2020, 11:57:36 PM
They shifted from Lalo to Kim so you dug in :P

I kid, but also I think Rhea iz a powerhouse.
The "proposal," Jimmy's bedroom confession. So sweet/tragic.

Sleepless

• The Master of Three Worlds
  • I told you I would eat you
Reply #201 on: April 03, 2020, 08:18:19 AM
I absolutely adore this show. Some of the best TV.

Bob and Rhea are seriously underrated and deserve a lot more recognition come award times.
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

Sleepless

• The Master of Three Worlds
  • I told you I would eat you
Reply #202 on: April 15, 2020, 08:17:34 AM
It feels like every week we're saying that was the best episode yet, but wow, it may very really be true this time around. And I called that it was a Schnauz special before his name came up in the opening credits. Had his finger prints all over it.
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

WorldForgot

• The Magic Flight
    • portfolio ~
Reply #203 on: April 21, 2020, 07:02:06 PM

Drenk

• The Master of Two Worlds
Reply #204 on: April 21, 2020, 08:30:20 PM
Lovely stuff.

Ultimately, I loved this season! The last half was spectacular. I even dig Lalo; at first, he seemed too similar to regular sociopaths, but he grew on me.
Ascension.