XIXAX Film Forum

Better Call Saul

Kal · 198 · 38969

Jeremy Blackman

• Admin
Reply #195 on: February 27, 2020, 11:20:27 AM
Enjoyed the episodes as always. So much writerly subtext in practically every scene. And Lalo is indeed a great character. But two bits felt off for me:

Spoiler: ShowHide
The crime spree montage was a little ridiculous. Strange theory that those guys would be inspired to do crime when they learn their consequences might be 50% less. Unless they are truly stupid as dirt. And maybe that's what the show is trying to say. Still, a weird lack of subtlety.

Mike's blowup at Kaylee was strange and went on too long. Am I wrong? Just seemed like he would catch himself and take back some self-control. He was weirdly committed to bullying her for much longer than I was willing to buy.
"Hunger is the purest sin"

WorldForgot

• The Magic Flight
  • 'change your hair, change your life'
    • portfolio ~
Reply #196 on: February 27, 2020, 11:47:12 AM
Spoiler: ShowHide
To me it was the editing of his outburst that was odd, not the performance or writing so much. The composition became this almost Kaylee-POV that was odd, and idk how to describe it, but the edit just felt more subjective than BB/BCS usually plays out for a moment like that, from Mike's profile to that head-on shot. The performance felt honest to me, though. Hungover, guilty, pestered.

WorldForgot

• The Magic Flight
  • 'change your hair, change your life'
    • portfolio ~
Reply #197 on: February 27, 2020, 06:42:16 PM