XIXAX Film Forum

Horror

TenseAndSober · 891 · 191061

Jeremy Blackman

• Admin
Reply #885 on: May 20, 2020, 12:12:14 PM
The Lodge Ė I really loved this movie. Might end up being a year-end favorite. Avoid spoilers!

Holy shit.

Holy shit.

This movie wrecked me.

Highly recommended if you're looking to feel like the protective lining of your soul has been chipped away for an hour and a half and then the contents thereof ripped out of your body in one fell swoop, leaving you a hollow shell of the person you previously were. I mean, goddamn. What a flick.

Yup. I actually had a lot of trouble sleeping the night I saw it.
"Hunger is the purest sin"

Robyn

• The Master of Two Worlds
Reply #886 on: May 20, 2020, 07:06:58 PM
The Lodge was really good. One of my favorites of all the good recs in this thread.

polkablues

• Child of Myth
  • Admin
Reply #887 on: May 20, 2020, 07:22:54 PM
I was surprised because I had been kind of putting off watching it after having been a little let down by their previous film, Goodnight Mommy. The Lodge took everything that did work about that film and elevated it a hundredfold.

I would say to anyone who's seen The Lodge and loved it, you should make sure to check out Honeymoon. Similar vibes in a lot of ways, and the last movie I can think of that gutted me the way this one did (though The Lodge is a much more accomplished and polished film overall).
My house, my rules, my coffee

eward

Reply #888 on: May 26, 2020, 07:37:10 PM
Hmm. Well, I went into The Lodge very optimistic due to the above praise, and while Riley's performance is strong, and the first 2/3s (though derivative of far better films) build up some ominous tension, the last half hour I found to be increasingly dumb and tedious; by the time the credits rolled I couldn't muster more than a half-bored shrug. What specifically, may I ask, did you guys find so mind-blowing?
Everyone has a heart and it's calling for something
And we're all so sick and tired of seeing things as they are...

polkablues

• Child of Myth
  • Admin
Reply #889 on: May 27, 2020, 02:34:52 PM
Thatís a hard question to answer when from your description you may as well have watched a totally different movie than I did. Like, any response I can give will be predicated on the notion that the film wasnít derivative, dumb, or tedious, which means it wonít be applicable to your experience. Just suffice to say that the elements that didnít work for you did work for me.
My house, my rules, my coffee

eward

Reply #890 on: May 27, 2020, 03:00:05 PM
Fair enough.
Everyone has a heart and it's calling for something
And we're all so sick and tired of seeing things as they are...