XIXAX Film Forum

Horror

TenseAndSober · 850 · 184333

polkablues

• Child of Myth
  • Admin
Reply #840 on: June 17, 2019, 05:53:59 PM
This looks like a ton of fun. Even Andie MacDowell can't kill my vibe.

That's what fiction is for. It's for getting at the truth when the truth isn't sufficient for the truth.

Sleepless

• The Master of Three Worlds
  • I told you I would eat you
Reply #841 on: June 18, 2019, 08:24:40 AM
Wow, you guys were so wrong on this one. The Perfection was shit, and not even a steaming turd, just a tepid disappointment. Besides the magnetic (and yes, attractive) leads, it had nothing going for it. If it wasn't for them and the fact I was waiting for a supposedly amazing bus sequence, I'd have switched off pretty early on. By the point the bus sequence came, it earned another 30 minutes but I could tell it was going rapidly downhill, and after that it was closer to the end so I had to finish just so I could fairly comment. This film is a great representation of Netflix originals: no subtlety, no subtext, and absolutely no point to them whatsoever. Yes, it was twisty, but the twists just seemed designed to distract from the fact there was nothing else really going on here. I really hated this and I hated you guys a little bit for recommending it.
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

polkablues

• Child of Myth
  • Admin
Reply #842 on: June 18, 2019, 12:03:39 PM
The movie’s a pretty explicit homage to 70s giallo films, so if you were going into it with subtlety as an expectation I would expect you to come away disappointed.
That's what fiction is for. It's for getting at the truth when the truth isn't sufficient for the truth.

Jeremy Blackman

• Admin
Reply #843 on: June 18, 2019, 01:08:16 PM
Alright, I do feel like I failed in not offering a stronger caveat. I can absolutely understand hating this movie. And I was a bit disappointed with the movie as a whole. I will defend the bus sequence, though.
"Hunger is the purest sin"

polkablues

• Child of Myth
  • Admin
Reply #844 on: June 18, 2019, 01:25:42 PM
No caveats from me. I accept this movie unreservedly into my heart for the beautiful pristine garbage that it is.

Sleepless

• The Master of Three Worlds
  • I told you I would eat you
Reply #845 on: June 18, 2019, 01:45:44 PM
I typed out a response but realized I was mostly restating things I've already said. I mostly blame Netflix. And now I'm hating myself for allowing this movie to take up way too much of my thoughts over the past 24 hours. Don't get me wrong, I can slum with some trashy films once in a while, but it seemed to me that no-one on this film other than the two leads made any effort at all.
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

wilberfan

• The Magic Flight
Reply #846 on: June 18, 2019, 07:42:44 PM
I'm on Team Sleepless with this one.  Bailed on this turd right after the bus sequence, but was rolling my eyes pretty hard before that. 
"Trying to fit in since 2017."

polkablues

• Child of Myth
  • Admin
Reply #847 on: August 05, 2019, 07:52:24 PM

jenkins

• The Master of Two Worlds
Reply #848 on: October 12, 2019, 07:10:35 PM
re new bev, last weekend was The Monster Squad which is okay, this weekend i saw Mad Monster Party? which was okay

but today's cartoon opener made everything worthwhile. here's the entire thing, i'd either never heard of this show or had forgotten about it

jenkins

• The Master of Two Worlds
Reply #849 on: October 13, 2019, 10:31:07 PM
re my abode, i last watched The Old Dark House and The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari

The Old Dark House is so interesting to me. Curtis Harrington is credited with rediscovering this movie. being a fan of Night Tide, i can see the influence. i like the idea of the characters being normal people and just an extraordinary event is taking place in their lives. there's no character manipulation for the sake of narrative or anything like that. just these people landed in an old dark house, and frankly i think it's hilarious how the residents respond upon their arrival. they're like, "ummm you sure."

The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari is like that as well. events are unfolding before the characters. you see, a psychological through line is something that has been important to me throughout my life, but i always side hustle horror and sci-fi as well. and in there it's a narrative through line. that's different. in fact, i don't like horror movies with psychological through lines, looking at you gaslighting movies. there can be psychological manifestations, but not motivations. the supernatural happens for selfsame reasons. i like that about horror movies. just like how in psychological movies i don't like narratives. i'm "a thing for everything, and everything in its place" about this. it's a personal conviction. anyway this movie is 1h7min and it took me about four hours to watch it because i would fall asleep and need to rewind. it's well-known what this movie is about, and in fact i can't describe it better now than i could have before, just from reading the plot and seeing photos, but i did commit myself to its intricacies tonight. even its best intricacies are its most well known

his rise at 1:36 is the scariest shot in the movie imo. after this is when he's carrying her body on the zigzag street and everybody knows that shot

side note: does this scan with anybody here

i don't have much to say about it and i need to go watch righteous gemstones with my roommate, but this note about that comic series is funny for example

Rick himself is an ordinary human being, majoring in Film Studies as a college student. He lived in a Brooklyn apartment with his dog Rambo, where he worked as a building superintendent, doing maintenance work in exchange for living rent-free. He also earns a living as a part-time job teaching English to immigrants. Rick had an on-again off-again romance with a girl named Alyssa Conover