XIXAX Film Forum

Horror

TenseAndSober · 873 · 189159

polkablues

• Child of Myth
  • Admin
Reply #870 on: March 26, 2020, 03:38:18 PM

For starters, the "controversy" around this movie was incredibly dumb. Which turns out to be fitting, since the movie itself is almost immeasurably dumb itself. I think it fancies itself a mischievous little scamp, with a sense of South Park-esque "both sides are equally ridiculous" nihilism, but in actuality it's more like a hack editorial page political cartoon where the symbolism is insultingly obvious and they label everything in the picture anyway, because the artist assumes everyone reading it is an idiot. The movie thinks it's a mid-90s Dennis Miller routine, when it's actually a 2020 Dennis Miller routine.

That said, I kind of liked it? Ignoring every aspect of the film's thematic belly-flop, it works exceptionally well as a silly, gory, propulsive action-thriller. Betty Gilpin kills it in this (you better fucking believe that pun was intended). There are a ton of great bit parts for awesome people like Macon Blair, Glenn Howerton, Ike Barinholtz, etc. It's a movie that you can have a fun time watching, then have a fun time eviscerating when you're done.

But god, it's dumb. It's so, so dumb. Damon Lindelof co-wrote this. That blows my mind. A person can be responsible for both The Leftovers and this. Just dumb as a bag of bricks, this thing. You should watch it.

Or if you just want an ACTUALLY good, not dumb at all version of this story, you can't do much better than Bacurau. It was pure coincidence that I watched these within two days of each other, but I'm very glad I saw them in the order that I did.

My house, my rules, my coffee

jenkins

• The Master of Two Worlds
Reply #871 on: March 26, 2020, 03:58:43 PM
it won the Jury Prize at cannes if you think polka is spouting nonsense

polkablues

• Child of Myth
  • Admin
Reply #872 on: March 26, 2020, 05:56:21 PM
It also just barely got beaten out as Brazil's submission to last year's Academy Awards, apparently.
My house, my rules, my coffee