jenkins · 110 · 28266

jenkins

• The Master of Two Worlds
Reply #105 on: April 24, 2020, 09:51:43 PM
just the way Harry Dodge writes this

jenkins

Reply #106 on: May 18, 2020, 08:24:06 PM

Cťsar Aira provides the intro. Aira says Lange and Ocampo are the two female heavyweights of the period, both upper class and married to famous writers, both connected to Borges this way, i also learned about the Florida group and the ultraist movement

jenkins

Reply #107 on: May 19, 2020, 12:40:54 AM
it was recommended to me and i can see why at the end of the intro here, there's really no um, they don't care about it, autobiographical stories, in relation to the world of intellectuals

I said earlier that all of Langeís early work, up until Notes from Childhood, could be explained autobiographically. Then came her most authentically original work, her novelsóthose strange meteorites unlike anything else that was being written at the time. Everything Lange wrote afterward was charged with urgency and a mysterious threat. There is a suspension of meaning, carried into the realm of action. In People in the Room, this project is fully realized. It is as if she had nothing more to add. Itís tempting to bring up the law of diminishing returns: when a new field opens up in art or science, the initial exploration turns out to be exhaustive, leaving room for only commentaries or variations. After her early works, Lange embarked on a new venture, something no one had ever done before. People in the Room is not a novel to be read for pleasure. Pleasure had been left behind, in the charming scenes of Notes from Childhood.

and idk if you want to continue speaking about interior spaces you get into, well abstract memory and consciousness and things like that, make them pieces in a jigsaw, yes, jigsaw narratives are what delight the intellectual community. but it's so hard for me that pleasure doesn't matter! you of course have to lean into humor but it's tricky. and darkness is always appreciated but in moderation

jenkins

Reply #108 on: May 20, 2020, 01:29:16 AM
having started the book itself, itís not humorous so much as mischievous (irresponsibly playful). itís the story of an adolescent girl spying on her neighbors. she imagines who they are and spends much time doing this. anxieties relate to what she imagines and the act of spying. for me the book is in fact pleasurable. Aira must have meant the pleasure comes not from the story but from the reading. and itís not a jigsaw narrative like in Hopscotch and Life: A Userís Manual

maybe the introduction soured my perspective because it was a rough start for me but now iím fully engaged

jenkins

Reply #109 on: May 27, 2020, 11:40:40 PM
it was such a banger and now i'm like obsessed with poetic interior landscapes as a literary narrative. i believe at another time i mentioned starting this book, which i abandoned, but now feel amped about returning to

The narrator of the novel specifically states that this is not a happy story, yet, as in all of Dag Solstadís works, the prose is marked by an unforgettable combination of humor and darkness. Overall, T Singer marks a departure more explicitly existential than any of Solstadís previous works.