Author Topic: Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi  (Read 6238 times)

pete

• The Master of Two Worlds
  • freakin huge
  • Respect: +453
    • my site
Re: Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi
« Reply #60 on: September 16, 2018, 05:36:39 PM »
it's also not a very interesting meta narrative - literally every franchise reboot has a character almost winking at the audience declaring "this shit is old" - cue Jurassic World when Bryce Dallas Howard said "nobody is interested in dinosaurs anymore", Batman v Superman when Jeremy Irons said "nobody is interested in Batman fighting Superman", and here where multiple characters are like "nobody is into star wars anymore" which was said not just by Adam Driver but also Yoda and Luke and pretty much the whole movie.
“Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot.”
- Buster Keaton

Jeremy Blackman

• Admin
  • Respect: +1490
« Reply #61 on: September 16, 2018, 06:17:39 PM »
here where multiple characters are like "nobody is into star wars anymore" which was said not just by Adam Driver but also Yoda and Luke and pretty much the whole movie.

Really?
"Hunger is the purest sin"

jenkins

• Respect: +1656
« Reply #62 on: September 16, 2018, 07:56:26 PM »
+1
lol @ the idea of pete going back to watch the movie and find the exact quotes

he means it's like impossible for them to not act self-aware, which really does puncture the fantasy illusion, and sucks, and was present in The Last Jedi for sure

pete

• freakin huge
  • Respect: +453
    • my site
« Reply #63 on: September 16, 2018, 08:25:26 PM »
it's not just that it breaks the fourth wall - but that it breaks fourth wall THE WAY EVERY SOFT REBOOT breaks fourth wall, but with a little more twitter-awareness than your Jurassic World. But what could "burn the old" coming from every single character's mouth possibly mean in the story aside from telling the audience "this is not your daddy's star wars!" I'd be fine if there was something else going in the movie, but I just wasn't even sure why else the movie felt like you needed to see it aside from letting you know that they were gonna pivot from their last pivot from two years ago.
“Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot.”
- Buster Keaton

jenkins

• Respect: +1656
« Reply #64 on: October 02, 2018, 02:29:04 PM »
+2
‘Star Wars: The Last Jedi’ Hate Was Bolstered by Russian Troll Bots, Study Finds

it sounds so funny to me. i didn't read the article but i thought this might appease jb

DMCA & Copyright | Terms & Conditions | Privacy Policy