XIXAX Film Forum

Psychotropic Sunrise

Alexandro · 39 · 8940

Alexandro

• The Master of Two Worlds
Reply #30 on: April 05, 2020, 07:44:00 PM
Didn't know where else to put this, but my good friends in Dominican Republic have uploaded a bunch of international films to watch for free during this emergency.

Among them, my film Psychotropic Sunrise. Also, a film I produced and premiered at Rotterdam, Drown Among the Dead. Another short we made in my company (El Valiente) and others. I highly recommend the Cardenas/Guzmán ones, Cochochi, Jean Gentil, Carmita, Sand Dollars for an out of the world Geraldine Chaplin performance.  All in all, it will be time well spent.

https://www.cinemaboreal.com/

jenkins

Reply #31 on: April 06, 2020, 04:06:19 AM
can you direct link to yours i can't figure it out personal embarrassment

Alexandro

Reply #32 on: April 06, 2020, 02:26:29 PM
can you direct link to yours i can't figure it out personal embarrassment

https://vimeo.com/136377831

jenkins

Reply #33 on: April 07, 2020, 01:58:26 AM
it's grossly good. it embarrasses the rest of the world how good it is, is what i'm saying. this is what i want. this is what nourishes me. when i shittalk other movies it's because they're not like this and it's the most obviously amazing so it absolutely befuddles me how everybody doesn't watch it movie i've seen since Permanent Green Light. here's a screencap of clouds

it's gorgeous from the first to last shot and you know something special is happening when you want to screencap the clouds. please forgive me if i botch the specifics but i believe the title refers to what this line transmits

and the whole kind of point is the movie feels like this

and drugs are heavily involved but the crux comes from friends as family. it's beautiful. it moved me in tremendous ways and as i mentioned i believe it operates in full capacity so there's no good reason it's not everywhere. it's the good kind of arthouse film and people should see this. good films should be seen and i don't understand--i truly don't understand--why some like this are seen and others aren't. i think that's the ugly side of the zeitgiest. i think that's art as a social apparatus. i think this movie is the real deal and everybody here should feel blessed to know Alexandro

shoutout to the fact that Mexican fashion from five years ago looks like American fashion today

Alexandro

Reply #34 on: April 07, 2020, 01:39:59 PM
thanks for all the kind words, jenkins.
psychotropic was a film made with pure love, and money... donated by a lot of lovely people. very early on it was clear we would not get the industry support for a film like this one. we tried every development grant, fund, diploma, everything. after that we tried all over for production support. with the exception of two of those "coproduction meetings" things, one from the morelia film festival and one from guanajuato, and with the exception of an award I received in a screenplay contest (which fed me and my family for months) we were roundly, emphatically and almost laughably rejected all over the world. but I just couldn't stop. I don't know what possessed me with this movie. the more "no's" I got, the more I resisted to scrap it. I was lucky in many many ways, and a whole town worth of people helped me, in all sorts of different ways. many of them through years, and eventually as I mentioned, with money via our version of gofundme and the likes.

when the film was done and we tried for the postproduction funds, the sad boring story continued. and when we went for festivals, we mostly got rejected, but by then I already knew what awaited.

there were no few people who warned me along the way, I was apparently doing everything in my power to make this film unappealing for the market. "your actors are too white, you need ethnical people for festivals", "there's too much music, latin cinema uses no music at all", "it's too funny, the humor dilutes the themes", "you are trusting too much people will get this". with my editor - who loved my first film and being one of mexico's top editors was willing to help me out for free - I got into an argument over a sequence which clearly didn't advance the story but I was dead set on keeping for personal reasons and because I believe story isn't everything, and by the third day of this, when he saw I was not folding, he eventually just lay the cards on me: "when you do things this way, you are saying to the people at festivals that you don't do things the way they like it, and they will shut you out, because they don't wanna hear about anyone doing things with this freedom, it's interpreted as capricious". I knew then that was it. But I couldn't change things because of festivals.

Sure enough, he was right. But I made the film I wanted, or as close as I could to what I envisioned, you know, within circumstances. One thing that I've always wondered is if people can see that this was not a microbudget film, but a nanobudget film. Most of the money went to musical rights. Nobody got paid. Even I was under a wrong impression. When we did the gofundme thing, we raised about 6000 dollars. Years later, some guy asked me how much had we spent shooting. I said about 6000 dollars, and my producer (we still work together) was right beside me and said "no, it was less". I said really? how much? He opened up the excel file, showed it to me, we did it we 3000 dollars. I really don't understand how.

WorldForgot

• 'change your hair, change your life'
    • portfolio ~
Reply #35 on: April 07, 2020, 02:28:36 PM
Ahuevo, Alexandro. An inspiring post --

Axolotl

• Shoutbox Moderator
Reply #36 on: August 11, 2020, 05:01:53 PM
Stumbled upon it while browsing Mubi (it's available to watch there) and loved it and jenkins pretty much covered why.

Congrats Alexandro :bravo:

Alexandro

Reply #37 on: August 12, 2020, 11:31:39 AM
Stumbled upon it while browsing Mubi (it's available to watch there) and loved it and jenkins pretty much covered why.

thank you axolotl! but what?!? I didn't know that. Is this mubi mexico??

Axolotl

• Shoutbox Moderator
Reply #38 on: August 12, 2020, 11:45:12 AM

thank you axolotl! but what?!? I didn't know that. Is this mubi mexico??
What? Haha no, it's available to stream on Mubi here in India. Hope you'll see some of that money.