QT's obsession with useless facts

Started by Tiff, April 20, 2003, 07:23:12 PM

Tiff

has anyone noticed QT likes to put a lot of useless, yet interesting facts in his screenplays? in pulp fiction, we learn that people in holland use mayonaise instead of ketchup on their fries. in jackie brown, we find out what the biggest indoor mall is, and that capillaries open up in our lungs when we cough. then, again in reservoir dogs, we learn that wounds to the kneecap and gut are the most painful, but you still survive for a long time after wounding those areas. there's more that i can't really think of right now, but does anyone know the reason he does this? just fun perhaps?
"Shut the fuck up!"

Gold Trumpet

It's just the coloring in of his favorite way to tell a story. Instead of lampooning a movie with plot points, he inserts his own reality and style of the joy of natural conversation which, even if it doesn't directly speak of a character's history, can say a lot about him considering most of the ways we judge in our own way of others come from similiar situations. His way of using natural conversations is great though because he always takes it a little farther where it can never be just an insert scene in a more convential movie that stands on big actions to dramatize the character, but instead, his movies stand on these natural conversations and amazingly, he can still make his movies feel more cinematic than most other director's out there now who don't have the patience for letting people talk for over 45 seconds.

~rougerum

Sleuth

Chuck Palahniuk always does the trivia thing too, but I'm not complaining
I like to hug dogs

Duck Sauce

I dont know why he does it but it is interesting. I like trivia, especially IMDB trivia, so useless facts in his movie get the job done for me.

MacGuffin

Quote from: Tiffin pulp fiction, we learn that people in holland use mayonaise instead of ketchup on their fries.

Apparently QT used this because he really did go to Amsterdam and noticed these interesting differences/facts, just like Vincent did. But it's also used as a way to make the characters more human; talking about the most banal things on the way to a hit and not come off as just 'killers'. Cutting the violence with humor, and vice versa. It's not until they are getting their guns out of the trunk, or before they enter to room that they "get into character" and get serious.

Quote from: Tiffthen, again in reservoir dogs, we learn that wounds to the kneecap and gut are the most painful, but you still survive for a long time after wounding those areas.

This is used as a plot point to explain how Mr. Orange could spend the entire movie excessively bleeding and not die from his wound.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

snaporaz

i talked to a guy from holland. he says the mayo thing isn't true.

©brad

well that's bull shit. was just in Amsterdam and saw it myself. also was on a booze cruise and our dutch tour guide confirmed the fact.

Tiff

yeah, i was talkin to some chick from the netherlands (i initially thought it was something from peter pan) and i asked her if she lived near holland. hence the question about mayonaise on fries...and, mate, its all true :p
"Shut the fuck up!"

Keener

I love Tarantino's dialouge. It's what really makes him special to me. MacGuffin has already said how I feel. Too many times movies have bad guys talking only about what they do rather than discussing the little things that real people talk about. Like Madonna, bacon, and TV pilots.
Alabama Film Forum
Uniting film lovers and filmmakers of Alabama

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: KeenerMacGuffin . . . Madonna

:yabbse-lipsrsealed:

dufresne

i completely endorse the use 'useless' facts in great cinema.
There are shadows in life, baby.

dianevdj

Quote from: Tiffyeah, i was talkin to some chick from the netherlands (i initially thought it was something from peter pan)

LOL, straight out of a FRIENDS scene :) You Joey You!

Anyway, I'm from Belgium (the actual BIRTH PLACE of the french frie!) and we eat 'em with ketchup (catch 'up) AND mayonaise.. occasionally mixing both sauces calling it cocktail sauce.

Who sed useless facts weren't interesting?
Who's still reading this?