Author Topic: PTA Interviews (on YouTube or otherwise)  (Read 35187 times)

axxonn

• The Call to Adventure
  • Respect: +8
Re: PTA Interviews (on YouTube or otherwise)
« Reply #180 on: November 02, 2017, 05:54:25 PM »
I remember some of it: 42nd Street, Bad Day Black Rock, The Band Wagon, Baraka, Breaking the Waves, Chaplin’s movies, Dancer in the Dark, Dark Star, Fred Astaire’s movies, I Am Cuba, Jazz on a Summer’s Day, L.A. Confidential, Lost in Translation, Melvin and Howard, Network, Ordinary People, Preston Sturge’s movies, Singin’ in the Rain, Sunrise, Sweet & Lowdown, Swing Shift, They Drive By Night, The Three Colors Trilogy, White Heat, You Can Count On Me

Airplane, The Asphalt Jungle, The Best Days of Our Lives, The Big Sleep, Breakfast with Curtis, Breaking Away, Giant, The Innocents, Mulholland Drive, The Ninth Configuration, Prince of the City, Secrets & Lies, The Son (Dardennes), They Shoot Horses Don’t They?, Three Businessmen, Tunnel Vision, Apichatpong Weerasethakul’s films, and When the Cat’s Away were mentioned at other points in time

Do you know when/in what context he talked about Mulholland Drive?

wilder

• Respect: +1689
« Reply #181 on: November 02, 2017, 06:13:11 PM »
No, I don't remember. I think it was in the context of having admiration for what Lynch does, in general.

Punch Drunk Hate

• The Call to Adventure
  • Respect: +9
« Reply #182 on: November 03, 2017, 09:01:02 AM »
I remember some of it: 42nd Street, Bad Day Black Rock, The Band Wagon, Baraka, Breaking the Waves, Chaplin’s movies, Dancer in the Dark, Dark Star, Fred Astaire’s movies, I Am Cuba, Jazz on a Summer’s Day, L.A. Confidential, Lost in Translation, Melvin and Howard, Network, Ordinary People, Preston Sturge’s movies, Singin’ in the Rain, Sunrise, Sweet & Lowdown, Swing Shift, They Drive By Night, The Three Colors Trilogy, White Heat, You Can Count On Me

Airplane, The Asphalt Jungle, The Best Days of Our Lives, The Big Sleep, Breakfast with Curtis, Breaking Away, Giant, The Innocents, Mulholland Drive, The Ninth Configuration, Prince of the City, Secrets & Lies, The Son (Dardennes), They Shoot Horses Don’t They?, Three Businessmen, Tunnel Vision, Apichatpong Weerasethakul’s films, and When the Cat’s Away were mentioned at other points in time

Mubi list of Paul's favorite films.

wilder

« Reply #183 on: November 03, 2017, 04:49:59 PM »
Aside from Noi the Albino, Weersethakul’s films, and Breakfast with Curtis, it always seemed to me that the stuff he said he liked post-2000s should be taken with a grain of salt. Not that they’re not good movies, but almost everything he mentions hereafter seems to be in promotion of his friends — previous players in his own films, new films by directors he was inspired by whose recent work was beginning to fall off the radar, or just people he perceives as “in his club” or on the same side of history (Nolan - promoting film acquisition). Even Mystic River, which is a decent flick, was something he was talking about shortly after he made Punch-Drunk, not coincidentally shortly after he was trying to get Penn in PSH’s role...

modage

• Admin
  • Respect: +719
    • Floating Heads
« Reply #184 on: November 06, 2017, 12:50:26 PM »
Agree with this. A lot of it wasn't necessarily because it even inspired one of his films so much as someone (usually Xixax/C&RV) Asked him what he had seen and liked recently.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

BB

• The Vision Quest
  • Respect: +92
« Reply #185 on: November 06, 2017, 09:26:38 PM »
Pretty sure he mentored the director of Breakfast With Curtis at the Sundance labs too. Was a fun flick for sure, but yeah, big grain of salt.

wilder

« Reply #186 on: November 07, 2017, 11:54:39 PM »
He's at it again

Paul Thomas Anderson, the director of “The Master” and “There Will Be Blood” and an admirer of “Dunkirk,” hails the film’s economical quality. He notes that there’s very little dialogue, which contributes to its power. “Its practically wordless structure was so exciting to me,” Anderson tells Variety. “It’s stripped down to bare essentials.”

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/christopher-nolan-dunkirk-oscars-movies-tv-spielberg-1202607836/

DMCA & Copyright | Terms & Conditions | Privacy Policy