Author Topic: The Master - SPOILERS!  (Read 68557 times)

KLMNOP and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Reelist

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Respect: +967
Re: The Master - SPOILERS!
« Reply #345 on: August 15, 2013, 01:18:20 PM »
+1
very cool. Thanks, guys. I never got around to throwing the score on my ipod, but I think I will now that it's complete. It's weird, this is about the time the movie came out last year and I'm already nostalgic for it. Definitely due for a watch, preferably with someone else. That'd be a first.
You can go to places in the world with pudding. That. Is. Funny.

Reelist

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Respect: +967
« Reply #346 on: November 08, 2013, 08:02:47 AM »
+4
All of the google doodles look like a pussy to me today
You can go to places in the world with pudding. That. Is. Funny.

Drenk

• The Magic Flight
  • Respect: +447
« Reply #347 on: November 08, 2013, 01:29:17 PM »
+1
What Google dildo?
I'm so many people.

N

• The Vision Quest
  • Don't forget this fact, you can't get it back.
  • Respect: +109
« Reply #348 on: November 08, 2013, 06:45:27 PM »
All of the google doodles look like a pussy to me today
Same here.

Cloudy

• The Meeting with the Goddess
  • Respect: +268
« Reply #349 on: January 05, 2014, 02:41:31 PM »
+10
Was reading through Nietzsche's Thus Spoke Zarathustra and found this little gem:

"All these most difficult things the spirit that would bear much takes upon itself: like the camel that, burdened, speeds into the desert, thus the spirit speeds into the desert. In the loneliest desert, however, the second metamorphosis occurs: here the spirit becomes a lion who would conquer his freedom and be master in his own desert. Here he seeks out his last master: he wants to fight him and his last god; for ultimate victory he wants to fight with the great dragon."

Here is the rest for the interested: "Who is the great dragon whom the spirit will no longer call lord and god? "Thou shalt" is the name of the great dragon. But the spirit of the lion says, "I will." "Thou shalt lies in his way, sparkling like gold, an animal covered with scales; and on every scale shines a golden "thou shalt". Values thousands of years old, shine on these scales; and thus speaks the mightiest of all dragons: "All value of all things shines on me. All value has long been created, and I am all created value. Verily, there shall be no more 'I will.'" Thus speaks the dragon."

velociraptor

• The Road of Trials
  • Respect: +56
« Reply #350 on: January 23, 2014, 01:53:36 PM »
http://cigsandredvines.blogspot.com/

Lots of great stuff in the interview posted today. Love how much of a fan Terry Gross is.

Cloudy

• The Meeting with the Goddess
  • Respect: +268
« Reply #351 on: February 06, 2014, 02:28:25 AM »
+3
Max From Fearless linked this in the PSH thread, and this also needs to be here.

One of the greatest, if not the greatest interview/conversation with PSH, about happiness, The Master, and life in general. It is layered in a way not many conversations can be through time. The dialogue is between PSH and an extremely passionate (and worthwhile) philosopher.

RIP PSH.

velociraptor

• The Road of Trials
  • Respect: +56
« Reply #352 on: April 27, 2014, 06:27:22 PM »
+1
Anyone watching Christopher Evan Welch on Silicon Valley? He's amazing. What a fucking loss. The scene between him and Hoffman carries such a bizarre added weight to it now.

modage

• Admin
  • Respect: +698
    • Floating Heads
« Reply #353 on: April 28, 2014, 07:37:58 AM »
+2
Yeah it's really a shame. This would've really been a breakout role/launching pad for bigger things for him, terrible he didn't live to experience it.

I also keep constantly thinking about THE MASTER scene and how both of them are gone.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Larry

• The Road of Trials
  • Respect: +86
« Reply #354 on: May 04, 2014, 01:23:16 PM »
+1
hey dudes, random post. Im watching The Lady from Shanghai, and I don't know if this has been posted about before. I noticed some similarities between these two films.

A great day to all

edit: re-reading the C+RV interview with Paul. he mentions it along with Arkadin, Out of the Past, etc!

Lottery

• The Return Threshold
  • You're Dead!
  • Respect: +445
« Reply #355 on: May 04, 2014, 07:53:11 PM »
+2
I'll have to give that a watch. PTA did say film noir was the biggest influence was behind it.

Semi-related- does The Master fall into a set of films such as Cool Hand Luke and One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest? They kinda seem to inform Freddie and his travels- it's not surprising to hear about post-war drifters, unwilling to comply with the system. Freddie has an incredible distrust of authority and of course imprisonment but he ends up in a different sort institution, I wonder what he sould have done in a Cool Hand Luke situation. What other films follow a similar idea? The concept of control, being part of a group and submission becomes rather important towards the end, If you figure a way to live without serving a master, any master, then let the rest of us know, will you?

Ulivija

• The Call to Adventure
  • Respect: +19
« Reply #356 on: May 31, 2014, 12:23:32 AM »
Untouchable Lancaster Dodd sings about Freddie:

The sailor was a captain
He was a mighty dog
Served out to all the company
A double sheriff's grog

Larry

• The Road of Trials
« Reply #357 on: July 05, 2014, 04:59:20 PM »
+3
In reference to the department store scene:

"Only 49.95"
-from Max Ophuls film-noir Caught (1949)

Axolotl

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Respect: +314
« Reply #358 on: July 07, 2014, 11:25:51 PM »
+2
someone has probably already found this. i'm guessing it's not a coincidence.. at the very least it's spooky. Teresa Duncan's blog features quotes from "proverbs for paranoids", two of which are

1. "You may never get to touch the Master, but you can tickle his creatures." 237
2. "The innocence of the creatures is in inverse proportion to the immorality of the Master." 241
and for those who may not remember or never knew.. Theresa Duncan, along with her partner Jeremy Blake, committed suicide after a long bout of extreme paranoia relating to scientology .

Larry

• The Road of Trials
« Reply #359 on: October 02, 2014, 10:03:59 PM »
+1
I went with a paul dano recommendation on criterion last night; The Long Day Closes. Theres a short musical number featuring "Slow Boat to China", which was a treat. pta probably saw that. it was a very good movie

DMCA & Copyright | Terms & Conditions | Privacy Policy