Author Topic: Xavier Dolan  (Read 4638 times)

N

• The Vision Quest
  • Don't forget this fact, you can't get it back.
  • Respect: +109
Re: Xavier Dolan
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2014, 10:11:51 AM »
While I dislike the ratio (which makes it look like iphone footage), Dolan's visuals don't have any trouble making up for it.
Super hyped for this one.

Mel

• The Meeting with the Goddess
  • Edgy TV show-watching Russian bodybuilder cartoon.
  • Respect: +168
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2014, 10:46:11 AM »
+1
The ratio is 1:1, it looks bad.

I've opposite feelings. Will be fun to hear people complaining about a film utilizing half of the surface on their huge TVs: "Crop this shit!". 4:3 ratio was used for half of the century, didn't hurt cinema.

btw. It is just sad that after wide-screen format being cropped for TV, we start to experience a reverse process, with old films being cropped to 16:9.
Simple mind - simple pleasures...

Drenk

• The Return Threshold
  • Respect: +498
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2014, 01:05:31 PM »
I can't stop thinking about this video.

Anyway, I love Anne Dorval, so I want to watch it.
I'm so many people.

wilder

• Respect: +1694
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2014, 03:37:00 PM »
Xavier Dolan Prepping English Language 'The Death And Life Of John F. Donovan'
via The Playlist

"Mommy" director and current Cannes darling Xavier Dolan already has another script ready to go. The prolific filmmaker tells The Guardian he has an English language script finished, "The Death and Life of John F. Donovan." No word yet on what it's about, but it could be the project about Hollywood he's been quietly teasing? Guess we'll find out as he says the script is currently going through "the firewall of actors' agents."

Drenk

• The Return Threshold
  • Respect: +498
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2014, 03:52:56 PM »
+3
About 1:1 again, I was just watching some parts of The Master, and there is this shot that I love.

I'm so many people.

Mel

• Edgy TV show-watching Russian bodybuilder cartoon.
  • Respect: +168
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2014, 04:19:26 PM »
About 1:1 again, I was just watching some parts of The Master, and there is this shot that I love.

"The Master" is a good example, since you can find more shots like that in there. Best example of "frame within frame" technique I have seen so far is "Ben Hur". It is other extreme - 2.76 aspect ratio was used. Doors, windows etc were often used to constrain the frame.

Too much off topic? I'm not sure.
Simple mind - simple pleasures...

jenkins

• The Master of Two Worlds
  • Respect: +1426
    • Neon Burrito
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2014, 01:24:10 AM »
Jessica Chastain To Star In Xavier Dolan's English Language Debut 'The Death And Life Of John F. Donovan'
via playlist

It seems good fortune just keeps raining down on wunderkind Xavier Dolan. This spring he hit Cannes with "Mommy," a movie nearly everyone fell in love with (we certainly did), walking away from the Croisette with Jury Prize (with some arguing it deserved the Palme d'Or). He also used his time in France to announce his English language debut, "The Death And Life Of John F. Donovan," and now he's nabbed a pretty big name for a leading role.

http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplaylist/jessica-chastain-to-star-in-xavier-dolans-english-language-debut-the-death-and-life-of-john-f-donovan-20140910
Every perspective is an act of creation.

wilder

• Respect: +1694
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2015, 04:24:13 PM »
Marion Cotillard, Léa Seydoux, Vincent Cassel & More To Star In Xavier Dolan's Next Film 'Only The End Of The World'
via The Playlist

While many presumed that Xavier Dolan's next movie would be the Jessica Chastain-starring "The Death and Life of John F. Donovan," the writer/director has a sneak attack planned with a star-studded new picture that begins filming next month.

Seville Pictures has announced that Marion Cotillard, Léa Seydoux, Vincent Cassel, Nathalie Baye, and Gaspard Ulliel will star in Dolan's "Juste La Fin Du Monde" ("Only The End Of The World"). Inspired by the play by Jean-Luc Lagarce, the story will follow a writer who returns home after a twelve-year absence to announce his impending death, and the reunion with his family that follows.

Production on the movie will begin at the end of May — right after Dolan finishes his Cannes Film Festival jury duties, we reckon — and then this fall, he'll transition to shooting 'Donovan.' In the press release he describes 'Monde' as the bridge between his past work and his much bigger-scaled film with Chastain, and either way, with two movies on the way from Dolan, we're pretty damn thrilled.

jenkins

• The Master of Two Worlds
  • Respect: +1426
    • Neon Burrito
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2015, 06:57:26 PM »
+2
Cinema's Hottest Enfant Terrible
Actor-director Xavier Dolan's films have made him a sensation at film festivals. And a target of scorn. His latest movie, Tom at the Farm, could put him on the map for the masses.

^this week's Entertainment Weekly. it's hilarious to me that Dolan is called an enfant terrible. it's never been more apparent to me that that nickname comes from people having personal problems. enfant terrible here equals "omfg your'e so successful, that confuses me and I'm afraid of you." based on the fact that his material is neither unconventional nor controversial.

summary of EW article:

-  reminder that Dolan is 26 and has made five features in five years
- Tom at the Farm is Hitchockian, which I hope everyone already knows and causes them to see the movie, which movie wilder has supported
- "I don't have a sophisticated film knowledge. My childhood was Home Alone, Matilda, Batman Returns, Jumanji, Secret Garden, Jack, Mrs. Doubtfire, Titanic. Only family films from the '90s."
- his I Killed My Mother was influenced by WKW, "Okay, I was aping his In the Mood for Love."
- dude personally thanked Jane Campion when he was Grand Jury Prize at Cannes: "Few [movies] changed my life the way your Piano did."
- he said he felt better for being on the Cannes jury and EW quotes Jake Gyllanhall telling him he's not
- more drama chat
- smart actors want to work with Dolan now, Marion Cotillard and Jessica Chastain listed as examples
- Dolan appreciates and values actors
Every perspective is an act of creation.

• SBD
  • positive energy;
  • Respect: +455
« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2015, 03:15:46 AM »
so enfants terrible means terrible young person right

cronopio 2

• retired hipster.
  • Respect: +43
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2015, 05:44:32 AM »