Author Topic: Charlie Brooker's "Black Mirror"  (Read 13625 times)

Jeremy Blackman

• Admin
  • Respect: +1386
Re: Charlie Brooker's "Black Mirror"
« Reply #45 on: December 29, 2017, 01:34:48 AM »
The new season is out today (Friday)...
"Hunger is the purest sin"

wilberfan

• The Meeting with the Goddess
  • Respect: +123
« Reply #46 on: December 29, 2017, 12:06:44 PM »
The new season is out today (Friday)...

Noticed that.  Reminds me that I found the first two seasons really compelling.  Season three had more misses than hits for me, if I recall.  Read somewhere that this new season is spotty?

[edit] Well, none of the six episodes from this season impressed me.
"There's shadows in life, baby."

Jeremy Blackman

• Admin
« Reply #47 on: January 01, 2018, 01:46:48 AM »
I've watched the first 4 so far...

SPOILERS

"USS Callister" was a delight. Incisive social commentary. They should have dialed up the disturbing factor a bit, but I can't complain. Jesse Plemons delivered.

"Arkangel" was a swing and a miss. I really liked the first 20 minutes or so, but then it became super conventional. Could see the end coming from a mile away. Several miles.

I know a lot of people dislike "Crocodile," but it completely worked for me. And it wasn't just punishing for the sake of it; there's some interesting character stuff going on.

"Hang the DJ" is undoubtedly Black Mirror's best love story (that chemistry though) and I think one of its best episodes. The ending was magnificent.

wilder

• Respect: +1769
« Reply #48 on: January 02, 2018, 01:10:38 AM »
"Hang the DJ" is undoubtedly Black Mirror's best love story (that chemistry though)

Oh my god yeah. One of the most believably passionate first kisses I can remember seeing on screen. Wrecked me.

Jeremy Blackman

• Admin
« Reply #49 on: January 02, 2018, 01:40:38 AM »
Faves:

1. Hang the DJ
2. USS Callister
3. Black Museum
4. Crocodile
5. Metalhead
6. Arkangel (the only stinker, really)

SPOILERS

"Metalhead" was decent. This is actually the type of sci-fi story I've been asking for. Robot apocalypse is a very realistic possibility, so I appreciated how realistically it was rendered here. Those "dogs" basically already exist, you guys.

Wasn't sure what to think of "Black Museum" until the end. But I think it really came together. The souvenir of endless suffering is one of the most genius things Black Mirror has come up with.

I didn't even notice this until I saw it pointed out, but all 6 episodes have female leads.

DMCA & Copyright | Terms & Conditions | Privacy Policy