Author Topic: Random DVD and Blu-ray announcements  (Read 128240 times)

jenkins

• The Master of Two Worlds
  • Respect: +1356
    • Neon Burrito
Re: Random DVD and Blu-ray announcements
« Reply #285 on: July 10, 2014, 05:55:56 PM »
+1
we're not in america, we're the internet

so true. wish i could sitdown tell my blu-ray player it needs to become multicultural. its narrow-minded philosophies make it an antique and i'm embarrassed and has anyone seen the 5 ape movies?
Every perspective is an act of creation.

wilder

• Respect: +1580
« Reply #286 on: July 11, 2014, 12:39:26 AM »
August 12, 2014

Jacques Tourneur's Out of the Past (1947) from Warner Archive

Out of the Past (1947) - Amazon

These two podcast episodes on the movie are in-depth and worth a listen if you're into the genre (Click POD to the left of each episode title to download)...

Podcast - Out of the Past - Part 1

In this premier episode, Shannon Clute and Richard Edwards discuss Jacques Tourneur's noir masterpiece "Out of the Past." They explain why it is the first film they choose for their continuing series of podcasts delving into the history of film noir. In the course of a lively discussion of this film, Clute and Edwards argue that while "Out of the Past" is not an early noir, it is nonetheless a prototype that helps the viewer define just what is film noir.

Podcast - Out of the Past - Part 2

OUT OF THE PAST is perhaps the most carefully structured of all films noir--a narrative divided (like protagonist Jeff Markum/Bailey) between an inescapable past and an impossible future, teetering on the slimmest hope for the present such that any action taken by its poor players tips them down into the abyss. Director Jacques Tourneur, cinematographer Nicholas Musuraca and screenwriter Daniel Mainwaring perfectly synchronized their efforts on this film, creating a narrative masterpiece where every image perfectly accompanies or contrasts every line of dialogue, where the whole is so self-conscious that it forces us to view each moment through every other, creating a true mise-en- abyme. It would be as impossible for the viewer to enter into such a story as it is for the characters to escape it, if it weren't for the decision to create a "Meta" narration at exactly the halfway point of the film, allowing the viewer to sort past from present in a film that constantly blurs that distinction in order to show how lives are always lived in servitude to what comes out of the past. For all of these reasons, the film is a constant source of inspiration, and a constant obsession, for those who watch it carefully.

wilder

« Reply #287 on: July 11, 2014, 04:17:07 PM »
October 14, 2014

Jonathan Demme's Married to the Mob (1988) on blu-ray from Kino

Married to the Mob (1988) - Amazon

wilder

« Reply #288 on: July 15, 2014, 05:28:33 PM »
That UK Tati set is a conundrum. I haven't seen the two you mentioned. Criterion will be releasing their own Tati blu-ray titles down the line, but they lost the rights to Trafic, and given that the other Studiocanal titles Criterion has lost the rights to haven't been re-licensed (La Grand Illusion, The Third Man) and Playtime is already a standalone...blah. Do I trust Studiocanal to issue Trafic as its own disc release in the US? I don't know. Don't know which way is up.

Happy to be wrong

wilder

« Reply #289 on: July 23, 2014, 01:02:09 PM »
From preservationist Robert Harris in a thread on Home Theater Forum:

Quote from: Robert Harris
I have been reading seemingly constant complaints on line regarding Warner Bros. and presumed non-activity or lack of interest in bringing important catalog titles to the home video market.

Wrong.

Several weeks ago, I had a meal with friends from WB, and while I cannot report titles, I can report that things are alive and well at both Warner Home Video, as well as the Warner Archive Collection.

2015 portends to be their biggest year since the start of the format.

A quick overview.

Three-strip Technicolor.  Minnelli.  Bogart.  Flynn.  Davis.  Astaire.  Garbo.  Sinatra.

Hammer Horror is a high priority.

The immense amount of work (and expense) that must go into each film to make it right for Blu-ray can sometimes hold things up, but what's coming represents some of the finest productions from the Golden Age of Hollywood.

I would start saving up now.  For those who love classic cinema, it's going to be an expensive year.

RAH

• SBD
  • positive energy;
  • Respect: +455
« Reply #290 on: July 31, 2014, 05:10:34 PM »
so wilder maybe you can help me here.
i saw on amazon a new release of oliver stones first film 'SEIZURE', for sept 9.
the reviews all say its not legit, but they're from like 2007, so i'm guessing a new proper release is on the way?

wilder

« Reply #291 on: July 31, 2014, 05:15:30 PM »
Yeah the September 9, 2014 blu-ray release is legit, coming from Scorpion Releasing.

via blu-ray.com:

Independent U.S. distributors Scorpion Releasing have confirmed that they will release on Blu-ray Oliver Stone's directorial debut Seizure (1974), starring Jonathan Frid, Martine Beswick, Joseph Sirola, Troy Donahue, Mary Woronov, and Richard Cox. The release is scheduled to arrive on the U.S. market on September 9th.

The release, which will be distributed by Kino Lorber, will feature a brand new HD transfer from the original U.S elements, as well as brand new interviews with stars Mary Woronov and Richard Cox.

• SBD
  • positive energy;
« Reply #292 on: July 31, 2014, 05:32:11 PM »
Yeah the September 9, 2014 blu-ray release is legit, coming from Scorpion Releasing.

via blu-ray.com:

Independent U.S. distributors Scorpion Releasing have confirmed that they will release on Blu-ray Oliver Stone's directorial debut Seizure (1974), starring Jonathan Frid, Martine Beswick, Joseph Sirola, Troy Donahue, Mary Woronov, and Richard Cox. The release is scheduled to arrive on the U.S. market on September 9th.

The release, which will be distributed by Kino Lorber, will feature a brand new HD transfer from the original U.S elements, as well as brand new interviews with stars Mary Woronov and Richard Cox.

YESSS. have any of you guys seen it before? its pretty crazy and interesting. seeing a good print will be awesome.

Pwaybloe

• The Master of Two Worlds
  • Respect: +31
« Reply #293 on: August 01, 2014, 06:13:59 PM »
03, you are crazy. That movie is pure shit. 

• SBD
  • positive energy;
« Reply #294 on: August 01, 2014, 06:20:32 PM »
hahaha. it has so much character though, man! i'm not saying it's a quality film by any means,, technical or otherwise. but it's very enjoyable. it's weird, visually bizarre, unintentionally funny, and you can see the emerging bits of his style. i like it, and i don't really like stone that much, maybe a fistful of his movies. and plus, seeing this on bluray? dude, it's gonna be a different movie totally.

wilder

« Reply #295 on: August 05, 2014, 05:22:28 PM »
November 18, 2014

Hal Ashby's Coming Home (1978) from Kino

Coming Home (1978) - Amazon

• SBD
  • positive energy;
« Reply #296 on: August 06, 2014, 11:22:18 AM »
+1
i love you, wilder. you always remind and inspire me to rewatch loved movies from my past that i nearly forgot about. i picked up the bluray of 'straight time' and 'coming home' thanks to you, man. incredibly underrated films that everyone should watch. 'straight time' feels like the subtlest 1970s scorsese film, with an insanely awesome cast including eddie bunker from reservoir dogs, and a thin and surprisingly sexy kathy bates. and coming home is hal ashby, so that should speak for itself, it's a minor film of his, but i think it is golden. keep up the updates with movies like this and sorcerer and the like, man! you kick ass.

wilder

« Reply #297 on: August 08, 2014, 03:08:40 PM »
Cool cool. I think you mean a DVD of Straight Time, though. The day that movie comes out on blu-ray I'm going to do a backflip.

November 25, 2014

Robert Altman's Thieves Like Us (1974) on blu-ray from Kino

Thieves Like Us (1974) - Amazon

November 18, 2014

For jenk, Leos Carax's Mauvais Sang (1986) and Boy Meets Girl (1984) on blu-ray from Carlotta US

• SBD
  • positive energy;
« Reply #298 on: August 09, 2014, 02:25:49 PM »
yeah you're right, no blu ray yet, i misspoke. but amazing film nonetheless.
i've been watching a lot of ulu grosbards films lately, he's a pretty amazing overlooked director.
i liken him to a very subtle scorsese.

wilder

« Reply #299 on: August 18, 2014, 04:42:24 PM »
December 2, 2014

Sidney Lumet's The Offence (1972) on blu-ray from Kino

The Offence (1972) - Amazon

DMCA & Copyright | Terms & Conditions | Privacy Policy