Author Topic: Random DVD and Blu-ray announcements  (Read 129163 times)

samsong

• The Master of Two Worlds
  • Respect: +210
    • http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html?cat=1&sub=All&id=samsong
Re: Random DVD and Blu-ray announcements
« Reply #270 on: June 18, 2014, 12:51:30 AM »
August 25, 2014

Fritz Lang's Woman in the Moon (1929) on blu-ray from Masters of Cinema

Have been meaning to watch this one for months now. Definitely making a trip to the campus to watch this ASAP. too bad they only have it on DVD from Kino :(

it's streaming on netflix.

wilder

• Respect: +1588
« Reply #271 on: June 18, 2014, 01:27:30 AM »
+1
Yeah it's my favorite Pialat, and one of my very favorite movies.

Rare is the film in movie-history that can announce the entire movement of its 'plot' with its title alone. But Pialat's second feature, Nous ne vieillirons pas ensemble [We Won't Grow Old Together] does exactly that, encapsulating all the turmoil, and the final end-point, of a couple who among themselves once made a commitment -- and in living together will come to make another one yet.

Jean (Jean Yanne, of Godard's Weekend) and Catherine (Marlène Jobert, of Godard's Masculin Féminin) are the couple whose every move charts an advancement deeper into an emotional warzone. Theirs is the classic and the tragic case of an emotional abuse centred around a perplexing, but powerful, interdependency. At last the point arrives that determines the relationship, with all its weekend holidays, its apologies and submissions, can go no further -- and, in a final shot of genius, Pialat discloses all the ways in which the future might be at once liberated, and enslaved, by the past. Based on a novel by Pialat himself, and on the trauma of his own personal life in the years leading up to the film, Nous ne vieillirons pas ensemble was a smash-hit at the time of its release -- and yet is arguably one of the most upsetting films ever made.

Sounds good. Will definitely check it out. Have been meaning to watch L'enfance Nue for months now.

edit: Where can I find this???

There's the Masters of Cinema DVD in the UK, the French blu-ray from Gaumont, which has English subtitles, and the forthcoming Kino release in the US. And I'll be damned, it's also available to rent in SD on Amazon Instant for $2.99. If none of these are what you meant, well, it's "there". Keep looking.

Larry

• The Road of Trials
  • Respect: +86
« Reply #272 on: June 18, 2014, 03:00:50 PM »
+1

There's the Masters of Cinema DVD in the UK, the French blu-ray from Gaumont, which has English subtitles, and the forthcoming Kino release in the US. And I'll be damned, it's also available to rent in SD on Amazon Instant for $2.99. If none of these are what you meant, well, it's "there". Keep looking.

+1. Thank you.
Also, I watched L'enfance Nue last night. Just exceptional....Tragic, hilarious, spell-bounding at once.. at some points I wasn't sure whether to laugh or cry. Ranks right up there with 400 Blows in my books

wilder

« Reply #273 on: June 19, 2014, 02:15:40 PM »
September 2014 TBD

Richard Brooks' Elmer Gantry (1960) from Kino

Elmer Gantry (1960) - Amazon

wilder

« Reply #274 on: June 26, 2014, 04:00:27 PM »
October 7, 2014

Ulu Grosbard's True Confessions (1981) on blu-ray from Kino

True Confessions (1981) - Amazon

Detective Tom Spellacy (Duvall) and Catholic Monsignor Desmond Spellacy (De Niro) find their worlds colliding amidst a flurry of political finger-pointing and public outcries over a scandalous, headline-making murder. As Tom hunts down the elusive killer, his investigation threatens to expose secrets that could ruin his brother... and rock the foundation of his beloved church. Based on the true and still-unsolved "Black Dahlia" murder case.   

wilder

« Reply #275 on: July 09, 2014, 12:12:47 PM »
September 15, 2014

Busby Berkeley's The Gang's All Here (1943) from Masters of Cinema

The Gang's All Here (1943) - Amazon UK

« Last Edit: June 29, 2016, 04:40:16 AM by wilder »

jenkins

• Respect: +1366
    • Neon Burrito
« Reply #276 on: July 09, 2014, 07:39:30 PM »
Edward G. Ulmer's Ruthless (1948) from Olive Films

Director Edward G. Ulmer’s complex psycho-melodrama Ruthless (1948) is undoubtedly worthy of rediscovery. A flashback-structured tale of a sociopath’s remorseless drive for station and wealth, Ruthless (often referred to as Ulmer’s Citizen Kane) employs a relentless undercurrent of emotional violence. As relayed in an interview with Peter Bogdanovich, Ulmer envisioned his feature as “a Jesuitic morality play… a very bad indictment against 100 percent Americanism—as Upton Sinclair saw it.” The film’s chilling, malevolent tone is personified in a starkly muted performance by lead—and frequent screen cad—Zachary Scott.

wilder,
did you end up watching this? we chatted about it the day you made ^this post, because it was also on netflix at the time, but anyway i watched it today and it's a tasty blend of noir-biz emotions. and people zing the fuck out of each other. desperate, dark, dramatic zings, and life is portrayed in a high-pitch of human imperfections and aspirations

it's definitely b-grade but like B+++. you'll see or have seen what i mean
Every perspective is an act of creation.

wilder

« Reply #277 on: July 09, 2014, 09:49:23 PM »
No, didn't end up getting that one. I'd still like to see it, though. How zingy are we talking about? I re-watched Ace in the Hole a couple weeks ago for the first time in maybe ten years and that's the zing I'm measuring this zing by, and every other zing that ever comes along. So on a scale of 1 to Ace in the Hole, where're you putting this?

life is portrayed in a high-pitch of human imperfections and aspirations

Sounds good to me.

This summer has been a tidal wave of good films getting restored and making it to disc, I'm hesitant to snag anything blind atm with so much on the horizon. Periodically I re-activate Netflix for specific things (Milius / ended up watching most of High School Hellcats a long time ago) but always end up canceling because you can only find so much in a landfill. If CanIStreamIt? can be trusted it's not there anymore, anyway. Might subscribe to Classic Flix, which has most of Olive's blu's available with their disc service, and get ahold of it through that.

jenkins

• Neon Burrito
« Reply #278 on: July 09, 2014, 11:05:39 PM »
+1
between 1 and ace in the hole, it's in the bananas section. appreciate so much when imdb has the quote i want to remember in its quote section, and the very one i wanted is the only one they have:

Mrs. Burnside: [to unhappy young Horace] Be brave. Be a man.
Horace Vendig as Child: I don't want to be a man. Never! I wish there weren't any men in the whole world.

that's said during a sequence in which horace enters his house and the camera moves in a fashion that illustrates his emotions changing shape and size. i can feel horace's emotions through the camera

there's lots of emotional energy in the movie. it crackles people's dreams and abilities through a melodramatic and psychological pageantry, and i couldn't believe a damn thing but i could feel the whole trip. i could see the page through the dialogue and an example of the dialogue is:

~"i hate you from your insides"

recommended

wilder

« Reply #279 on: July 09, 2014, 11:09:29 PM »
the camera moves in a fashion that illustrates his emotions changing shape and size. i can feel horace's emotions through the camera

"i hate you from your insides"

sold

wilder

« Reply #280 on: July 10, 2014, 04:22:30 PM »
September 30, 2014

Thom Andersen's Los Angeles Plays Itself (2003) on blu-ray from Cinema Guild

Los Angeles Plays Itself (2003) - Amazon

November 25, 2014

Robert Altman's The Long Goodbye (1973) on blu-ray from Kino

The Long Goodbye (1973) - Amazon
« Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 10:33:49 AM by wilder »

jenkins

• Neon Burrito
« Reply #281 on: July 10, 2014, 04:36:29 PM »
^ great news because, well both those movies are la movies but what i mean is i recently traded in my dvd copy of the long goodbye because i had inner certainty that its blu-ray would be arriving and bam

today i am "seriously considering" buying 5 ape movies on blu-ray for $20

Ravi

• Admin
  • Respect: +88
« Reply #282 on: July 10, 2014, 04:41:26 PM »
Arrow Films already released The Long Goodbye on Blu-Ray with a ton of extras. If the Kino doesn't match their edition, I'll just order the Arrow edition.

jenkins

• Neon Burrito
« Reply #283 on: July 10, 2014, 04:50:59 PM »
helpful chart:

kino = region a
arrow = region b

helpful if your player is unlocked or came region free or whatevs

wilder

« Reply #284 on: July 10, 2014, 04:53:30 PM »
helpful chart:

kino = region a
arrow = region b

helpful if your player is unlocked or came region free or whatevs

And in a more general sense for the sake of this thread, Amazon UK, Amazon France, and Amazon.de = Region B

DMCA & Copyright | Terms & Conditions | Privacy Policy