Author Topic: Random DVD and Blu-ray announcements  (Read 137189 times)

wilder

• Respect: +1689
Re: Random DVD and Blu-ray announcements
« Reply #195 on: January 28, 2014, 05:00:35 PM »
April 15, 2014

Billy Wilder's Double Indemnity (1944) from Universal

Double Indemnity (1944) - Amazon

Orson Welles' Touch of Evil (1958) from Universal

Touch of Evil (1958) - Amazon

wilder

« Reply #196 on: February 05, 2014, 03:36:13 PM »
March 25, 2014

Martin Scorsese's The King of Comedy (1982) from Fox

The King of Comedy (1982) - Amazon

wilder

« Reply #197 on: February 19, 2014, 01:38:03 PM »
Kino Lorber Signs Multi-Year Distribution Deal With Palisades Tartan
via blu-ray.com

Kino Lorber announced today it has signed a multi-year agreement with Palisades Tartan to serve as the exclusive home entertainment distributor in the US and Canada (as available). The distribution deal includes packaged media (Blu-ray/DVD), digital rights, educational sales and repertory theatrical releasing.

Kino Lorber will reintroduce this much sought after 90 title collection, and reissue many of the films on Blu-ray under the Palisades Tartan label. Kino Lorber also plans new digital releases since many of the titles have not been widely available on key and new digital platforms. In keeping with its theatrical mission, the company will also curate selected films for repertory theatrical re-release.

Palisades Tartan has been bringing high-quality, compelling art house releases to audiences in the U.S. for the past dozen years building on Tartan's distinguished 25 year history in the UK. It also established the "Asian Extreme" cinema brand that has accounted for some of its most notable successes in the U.S. market.

Among the key "Asian Extreme" titles are Park Chan-Wook's Oldboy, which won the Grand Prix at the 2004 Cannes Film Festival, first of his award winning "Vengeance Trilogy," which also includes Lady Vengeance and Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance. Other major Asian titles include Jonnie To's Election, which was nominated for the Palme d'Or in 2005 and its follow up Triad Election, Yoji Yamada's acclaimed samurai epic The Hidden Blade, and Shinya Tsukamoto's cyber punk cult classic Tetsuo The Iron Man, as well as the essential early films by Kim Ki Duk and other now modern classics of Asian cinema.

No less significant are other world cinema masterworks from Palisades Tartan. Among the recently released titles is Iranian dissident director Jafar Panahi's widely praised This Is Not a Film, made while under house arrest in Teheran. From Europe comes two landmark films of the Romanian new wave, The Death of Mr. Lazarescu, by Cristi Puiu that won the Un Certain Regard prize in Cannes in 2005 and Porumboiu's 12:08: East of Bucharest winner in 2006 of the Cannes Camera d'Or, as well as Roy Andersson's quirkily hilarious Swedish film You, The Living, and from leading Austrian auteur Ulrich Seidl Import Export, which was nominated for the Palme d'Or in Cannes in 2007. Mexican director Carlos Reygadas' is represented by Silent Light, which won the Jury Prize in Cannes in 2007 and his transcendental Battle in Heaven from 2005. The collection is rounded out with brilliant English language works including the controversial, radically sexual 9 Songs from Michael Winterbottom as well as Andrea Arnold's Red Road, winner of the Cannes Jury Prize in 2006 and widely considered one of the best British films of the last 25 years.

Richard Lorber, who negotiated the deal on behalf of Kino Lorber with Palisades CEO Vin Roberti, commented: "We are exultant to be able to bring the gems of the Palisades Tartan library back to market on all home entertainment physical and digital platforms. It's why we exist as a company-these films define our mission." Vin Roberti of Palisades added: "I've admired the companies Richard has built over many years and we feel our carefully curated collection has now found the perfect home at Kino Lorber. They get it and know how to connect with the audiences who do too."   

wilder

« Reply #198 on: March 05, 2014, 03:10:18 PM »
May 27, 2014

Claude Chabrol's The Color of Lies (1999) on blu-ray from Cohen Media Group

The Color of Lies (1999) - Amazon

In a little village in Brittany, a 10 year old girl is found murdered. René, an artist by profession and the girl's art teacher, is the last person to have seen her and he is immediately questioned by the police inspector in charge of the enquiry. In this little provincial village where everyone knows one another, René soon becomes the primary suspect in the eyes of his neighbors. The suspicion threatens to destroy his life and marriage.

• SBD
  • positive energy;
  • Respect: +455
« Reply #199 on: March 05, 2014, 10:37:12 PM »
"is brittany part of britan?" - everyone in my state

Pubrick

• Admin
  • on the not-face of it
  • Respect: +774
« Reply #200 on: March 11, 2014, 01:21:57 AM »
"is brittany part of britan?" - everyone in my state

"is Britain spelled britan?" - you
under the paving stones.

• SBD
  • positive energy;
  • Respect: +455
« Reply #201 on: March 11, 2014, 01:30:29 PM »
that was the joke!

wilder

« Reply #202 on: March 11, 2014, 01:55:09 PM »
July 8, 2014

John Boorman's Point Blank (1967) from Warner Bros.

Point Blank (1967) - WBShop

« Last Edit: May 21, 2014, 04:13:10 PM by wilder »

wilder

« Reply #203 on: March 21, 2014, 03:37:10 PM »
June 3, 2014

Francis Ford Coppola's The Outsiders (1983) from Warner Bros.

jenkins

• The Master of Two Worlds
  • Respect: +1426
    • Neon Burrito
« Reply #204 on: March 25, 2014, 10:00:21 PM »
i'll show you random, buddy

get it? that's me showing my current amazon cart. amazon changed free shipping to orders over $35! tragedy. the days of 25 are gone with the roses, i need to obamacare before march 31, and after i took out mighty mouse's adventures my total dropped to below 35. life is so wacky. want to keep all this below $35 and i know i want the poetry book. that's a personal situation fyi

i need the power rangers to help me with this, please

has anyone seen city of god in the past like ten years and does it hold up? i feel like it'll float my cloud back down to the kingdom of cinema heaven, that's a solid prediction right, my memory of the movie tells me that

trying to be adult realistic and accept that the magnificent ambersons will never head to bluray. is anyone here actually an adult and is that true?

cannonball is no death race 2000 i bet i guess maybe i've never seen it shouldn't i see cannonball

seems ok i already dropped mighty mouse. i was thinking it'd be fun to see pre-ren&stimpy John Kricfalusi but wtf am i going to do with a goddamn mighty mouse dvd like longterm you know

you can chat about one of these random things with me,

or please announce random purchases you made last year and i'll probably feel inspired (last year is when i stopped crazy-mad-buying-like-very-often-buying dvds/blurays),

or for example what's the Best of the Randoms from this thread?

options here. just kick some ass. we're goddamn power rangers
Every perspective is an act of creation.

wilder

« Reply #205 on: March 29, 2014, 02:00:34 PM »
May 2014 TBD

Michelangelo Antonioni's The Vanquished (1953) on blu-ray from Raro Video

Challenging linear narrative by weaving multiple story lines and exploring a directorial style way ahead of his time, director Michelangelo Antonioni's unique triptych film features three murders, one taking place in Paris, another in Rome, and another in London. All of the perpetrators are affluent youths, each killing for dubious motives. In the France segment, a group of adolescents kill for money, even though they don't need it; in the London segment, a poet uncovers a woman's body and tries to profit from the discovery; and in the Italian segment, a student becomes caught up in a smuggling ring, with deadly results. With elements that serve as a precursor to Blowup, Antonioni explores how modern society can produce nihilistic tendencies in the least likely characters.   

This now has a release date of June 10, 2014

wilder

« Reply #206 on: March 29, 2014, 03:43:04 PM »
+2
Alright the lower profile stuff I think is worth a look:

-Second Sight's release of Jean-Jacques Beineix's Betty Blue (1986) (Not the US version, which looks like garbage due to some smooth-motion type filtering)

-Curtis Harrington's Night Tide (1961) starring Dennis Hopper, which sort of has the feel of a Val Lewton movie

-Jean-Pierre Melville's Two Men in Manhattan (1959)

-Jean Rollin's The Iron Rose (1973), it being the most minimalist and poetic film he made

-Frank Perry's The Swimmer (1968), a dark, devastating dream set against the sun-soaked valley

-Schizophrenia (1983) (aka Angst) which puts Requiem's use of doggie cam to shame

-Claude Chabrol's La Ceremonie (1995) for the best example of folie ŕ deux I can think of

-Jacques Deray's The Outside Man (1972) starring Jean-Louis Trintignant and Roy Scheider, for a French Crime style take on Los Angeles

-James Ivory's The Remains of the Day (1993) for the masterclass in subtle acting by Anthony Hopkins and Emma Thompson

-All of the Pialat's, but especially Police (1985), Under the Sun of Satan (1987), and We Won't Grow Old Together (1972)

-Warner Archive's Forbidden Hollywood series of Pre-Code films

-And some classics, From Here to Eternity (1953) and The Best Years of Our Lives (1946) which will remind you of the time when Hollywood was great

jenkins

• The Master of Two Worlds
  • Respect: +1426
    • Neon Burrito
« Reply #207 on: March 29, 2014, 09:08:28 PM »
oh thanks for sure
Every perspective is an act of creation.

wilder

« Reply #208 on: March 29, 2014, 09:37:40 PM »
Hahaaa this trailer is awesome

and a higher quality assemblage of clips from the movie set to one of its themes (nsfw?)

wilder

« Reply #209 on: April 08, 2014, 04:09:22 PM »
+1
July 29, 2014

Herzog: The Collection from Shout Factory

Shout Factory has officially announced and detailed Herzog: The Collection. Limited to 5,000 copies, the 13-disc Blu-ray box set features 16 acclaimed films and documentaries, 15 of which are making their Blu-ray debuts. The release will be available for purchase on July 29th.

Herzog: The Collection also features a 40 page booklet that includes photos, an essay by award-winning author Stephen J. Smith, and in-depth film synopses by Herzog scholars Brad Prager and Chris Wahl. Bonus features include English and German audio commentaries, the documentaries Herzog in Africa and Portrait: Werner Herzog, interviews and original theatrical trailers.

Herzog has taken his camera to parts of the world no other director would dare go, and told stories in ways previously unconsidered. These sixteen masterpieces, which blur the line between "fiction" and "documentary," illustrate why Werner Herzog is the most intrepid, creative, and dangerous filmmaker of our lifetime.

Box Set Content

Even Dwarfs Started Small
Land of Silence and Darkness
Fata Morgana
Aguirre, the Wrath of God
The Enigma of Kaspar Hauser
Heart of Glass
Stroszek
Woyzeck
Nosferatu the Vampyre
Fitzcarraldo
Ballad of the Little Soldier
Where the Green Ants Dream
Cobra Verde
Lessons of Darkness
Little Dieter Needs to Fly
My Best Fiend

Special Features

-English Audio Commentaries: Even Dwarfs Started Small, Fata Morgana, Aguirre, the Wrath of God, The Enigma of Kaspar Hauser, Heart of Glass, Strozek and Cobra Verde.
-German Audio commentaries: Nosferatu the Vampyre, Fitzcarraldo, Where the Green Ants Dream.
-In Conversation - Werner Herzog and Laurens Straub (in German with English Subtitles)
-The Making of Nosferatu The Vampyre
-Portrait: Werner Herzog documentary
-Herzog In Africa documentary
-Theatrical Trailers

Herzog: The Collection - Amazon

DMCA & Copyright | Terms & Conditions | Privacy Policy