Author Topic: Random DVD and Blu-ray announcements  (Read 137976 times)

jenkins

• The Master of Two Worlds
  • Respect: +1430
    • Neon Burrito
Re: Random DVD and Blu-ray announcements
« Reply #180 on: December 17, 2013, 09:58:05 PM »
that's a strong component of peter bogdanovich, wes anderson, hong sangsoo, and others who also interact social mechanics with cinematic mechanics. the spaces of places characters inhabit offer vital substances to the connections and distances of the characters involved. cities and boats -- boats remind me of knife in the water, polanski, and the creation of measurable tension. cul-de-sac also. this is a topic i enjoy and is a thing we could essay. glad you brought it up. let's save the thought for future discussion

for now, i especially like rohmer's table shot. it's a summarizing shot of this philosophy

wilder, what's your most treasured rohmer movie? i tend to say pauline at the beach, but i wonder if that's true or if that's just my most thought about. he has so man movies with so many riches!

• SBD
  • positive energy;
  • Respect: +455
« Reply #181 on: December 17, 2013, 10:23:10 PM »
i discovered several years ago that my life is eric rohmers films.

wilder

• Respect: +1712
« Reply #182 on: December 17, 2013, 10:49:14 PM »
+1
I've only seen the stuff included in The Six Moral Tales box set, and I think Claire's Knee, but I remember liking Pauline at the Beach most too back when I when I watched them as a teenager. Rohmer is a director I've been wanting to revisit for a while, I haven't watched any of his films since then. They seemed "good", but markedly different in style than any other director's work I'd seen, and probably a little over my head at that point - I distinctly remember trying to figure out what it was that made them work and specifics eluding me. This makes me want to see them again.

that's a strong component of peter bogdanovich, wes anderson, hong sangsoo, and others who also interact social mechanics with cinematic mechanics. the spaces of places characters inhabit offer vital substances to the connections and distances of the characters involved.

The environments themselves almost become extensions of the characters, instead of the character's being born of their environments, or the environments and characters are offered equal importance, influencing one another, offering comment and reflection on each other...the space becomes a physical echo, and the surrounding frame is considered as an area of additional visual interest apart from the character's faces alone as if every shot were a kind of 2 shot - one character being an actor, the other being the space itself -- which seems to be the very opposite technique of most movies made now, with so much being shot in close up from "here", "to here" (hand under chin and above head), with a vaguely aesthetically pleasing mush of out-of-focus shapes in the background. Antonioni is the king of this. All pretty obvious.

In general, the importance of character's relationships to the spaces they inhabit seems to be becoming lost, to me one of the most interesting aspects of filmmaking. Even the studio guns for hire of yesteryear seemed to understand this better than most major directors working now. Maybe it's because in life, attention paid to our physical environment sort of "dims" as we engage with all things digital, it's literally becoming less relevant as time goes on.

jenkins

• Neon Burrito
« Reply #183 on: December 17, 2013, 11:52:02 PM »
antonioni gallo malick no von sternberg. i'm into those things, their visual atmospheres. and i adore regionalism and environment and movement (of person and camera) and every texture there is i'm into the texture, its rich layer. the culture of cinema. do you think we're having a rohmer moment. i think it's very sangsoo

wilder

« Reply #184 on: December 18, 2013, 12:09:22 AM »

classical gas

• The Ultimate Boon
  • Respect: +31
« Reply #185 on: December 18, 2013, 12:12:12 AM »
which movie is that?

wilder

« Reply #186 on: December 18, 2013, 12:20:40 AM »
+1
They're all from The Docks of New York (1928) except image 6, which is from Underworld (1927)

jenkins

• Neon Burrito
« Reply #187 on: December 18, 2013, 01:10:57 AM »
von sternberg is criiiiisp. he has a power of perceptive light. his camera's movement is a sense of space

i was thinking of gallo like this

morvern callar like this

i like it when you can touch the visuals. their lights and colors can be misty. without a permit one feels less burdened by questions about business and people rights. we're in los angeles, the camera is in the car, the shot is continuous, and i made it look like this

i have a personal experience thing about it. we're so sangsoo

wilder

« Reply #188 on: January 06, 2014, 05:25:43 PM »
April 22, 2014

William Friedkin's Sorcerer (1977) on blu-ray from Warner Bros.

Sorcerer (1977) - Amazon

The film has been remastered by Warner Bros. under Friedkin's supervision, along with colorist Bryan McMahan who has worked with the director since 1994. "The new restoration makes the film appear as if it was just made. None of the essentials -- the clothes, the hair -- are dated in any way. It looks the way it looked to me when I looked through the lens of the camera," said Friedkin. The restoration began with a 4K film resolution scan of the original 35mm camera negative.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2014, 03:50:55 PM by wilder »

wilder

« Reply #189 on: January 08, 2014, 04:36:16 PM »
March 18, 2014

Gregg Araki's Mysterious Skin (2004) from Strand Releasing

Mysterious Skin (2004) - Amazon

and

Samsung: 4K Blu-ray Discs Coming Up
via blu-ray.com

Vice-president for consumer electronics at Samsung Australia Philip Newton, who is currently at CES in Las Vegas, has revealed that 4K Blu-ray discs will likely become available by the end of the year. The news was leaked in an article published earlier today by The Australian.

According to Mr. Newton, the new 4K Blu-ray discs will likely have four layers but Samsung is ready to make available Blu-ray players that can play them. According to Mr. Newton, the key issue that is still holding back production is the selection of the codec that will be used for 4K content.

You can read the full article published by The Australian.

wilder

« Reply #190 on: January 10, 2014, 12:55:29 AM »
March 11, 2014

Frank Perry's The Swimmer (1968) from Grindhouse Releasing

• 2 Disc Set - Deluxe dual layer Blu-ray Edition + DVD combo
  • Spectacular new digital restoration created from 4K scans for optimal picture quality
  • The Story of The Swimmer - brand new, five-part, 2-1/2 hour documentary by Oscar-winner Chris Innis featuring in-depth interviews with stars Janet Landgard, Joan Rivers and Marge Champion, composer Marvin Hamlisch, film editor Sidney Katz, assistant directors Michael Hertzberg and Ted Zachary, UCLA Olympic swim coach Bob Horn, and Joanna Lancaster
  • The original New Yorker short story read by author John Cheever
  • 12 page booklet with liner notes by legendary director Stuart Gordon (Re-animator)
  • Rare production stills from the lost alternate scenes
  • Extensive still galleries, trailers and TV spots

The Swimmer (1968) - Amazon

May 6, 2014

Sam Fuller's The Big Red One (1980) from Warner Bros.

The Big Red One (1980) - Amazon

May 20, 2014

Werner Herzog's Nosferatu the Vampyre (1979) on blu-ray from Shout Factory

Nosferatu the Vampyre (1979) - Amazon

wilder

« Reply #191 on: January 10, 2014, 02:00:11 AM »
January 27, 2014

Orson Welles' The Lady from Shanghai (1947) blu-ray/dvd combo from the TCM Vault Collection

The Lady from Shanghai (1947) - TCM Sgop

Ravi

• Admin
  • Respect: +88
« Reply #192 on: January 10, 2014, 11:07:54 PM »
+1
You can get free 3-7 day shipping on The Lady from Shanghai with the code TCMGIFT14. I told myself not to buy anymore movies, but I ordered it anyways.

mogwai

• Respect: +67
« Reply #193 on: January 12, 2014, 03:51:30 AM »
I was wondering if there's a website that helps you with requests with movies you want to be released on blu-ray?

wilder

« Reply #194 on: January 12, 2014, 05:00:36 PM »
Not really...the easiest thing to do would be to research and contact the current rights holder.

DMCA & Copyright | Terms & Conditions | Privacy Policy