Author Topic: Random DVD and Blu-ray announcements  (Read 128158 times)

wilder

• Respect: +1579
Re: Random DVD and Blu-ray announcements
« Reply #165 on: October 09, 2013, 03:16:58 PM »
The Visitor (1979) - January 2014 TBD
via Blu-ray.com

Drafthouse Films has announced the Blu-ray release of the full-length cut of the 1979 sci-fi/horror hybrid The Visitor, starring John Huston, Shelley Winters, Glenn Ford, Lance Henriksen, Franco Nero and Sam Peckinpah. The film is also being re-released in theaters for a limited engagement in major markets this Halloween. The Blu-ray edition is set to follow in January, 2014.

Official Synopsis: Legendary Hollywood director/actor John Huston (The Maltese Falcon; Treasure Of The Sierra Madre) stars as an intergalactic warrior battling alongside a cosmic Christ figure against a demonic eight-year-old girl and her pet hawk, as the fate of the universe hangs in the balance.

In the dawn of '70s American blockbusters, European production companies emerged stateside, attempting to recreate box office gold by cloning Hollywood. The infamous Supreme Court-banned Jaws copy Great White, The Exorcist-esque Beyond the Door and countless others were packaged for export and the burgeoning drive-in circuit. Producer Ovidio G. Assonitis and director/alleged bodybuilder Michael J. Paradise's TheVisitor stands as perhaps the most ambitious of all, taking its inspiration by artfully fusing The Omen, Close Encounters of the Third Kind, The Birds, Rosemary's Baby, The Fury and Star Wars alongside a baffling cast that includes Shelley Winters (Night of the Hunter), Glenn Ford (Superman), Lance Henriksen (Aliens), Franco Nero (Django) and Sam Peckinpah (director of The Wild Bunch).

The result is not so much a carbon copy of these films, but rather an entertainingly hallucinatory and inscrutable mash-up that repertory cinema programmers around the country have rediscovered for late-night bookings. "Just when you think you've nailed down which direction the film is heading in, it completely shatters your notion of the time-space continuum," says LA art-house The Cinefamily. The Village Voice also calls the film "ridiculously entertaining [and] a schizophrenic mother of all '70's drive-in oddities."

"This film is from another time, another place and a wholly different dimension," says Drafthouse Films Creative Director Evan Husney, "and contains the highest JDPM (jaw-drops-per-minute) ratio out of any movie we've ever encountered. The Visitor is a repertory mainstay at the Alamo Drafthouse and is truly one of the most joyfully delirious theatrical experiences we've unleashed on our audiences. The world wasn't ready for this film in 1979, and it still may not be. Regardless, we are ecstatic to reintroduce cinema's most colossally bizarro achievement. Ever."

The Blu-ray release of The Visitor features a new HD restoration from the original film materials. Complete tech specs and special features have yet to be revealed.

jenkins

• The Master of Two Worlds
  • Respect: +1356
    • Neon Burrito
« Reply #166 on: October 10, 2013, 01:21:04 AM »

coming to la in november, i'd like to also offer cinefamily's description (quoted in wilder's article) and clip from the movie. all i needed was "John Huston stars as an intergalactic warrior battling alongside a cosmic Christ figure against a demonic eight-year-old girl and her pet hawk, as the fate of the universe hangs in the balance" and there appears to be much more to say:
(i've bolded things)
To celebrate Drafthouse Films’ release of our all-time favorite cinematic slab of insanity, it’s a weekend’s worth of the movie 1979 couldn’t handle! The holiest of all Holyfuckingshits, The Visitor has the highest JDPM (Jaw Drops Per Minute) ratio of any film of its era, Italian ripoff or not. It’s a wonderful mishmash of The Omen and Close Encounters, but that barely hints at the whacked fervor with which director Giulio Paradisi hurls his hastily assembled “all-star” cast (John Huston, Glenn Ford, Shelley Winters, and, yes, Lance Henriksen) into the cinematic void, showering them with what the Alamo Drafthouse has called “a blackhearted blowout of interplanetary possession, telekinetic avian assault, exploding basketballs and ecclesiastical laserstorms.” Just when you think you’ve nailed down which direction the film is heading in, it completely shatters your notion of the time-space continuum with enough force to rival a thousand screenings of Zabriskie Point. If you miss out on this one, then you have as much regard for cinema as you do for a discarded toenail clipping.
Dir. Giulio Paradisi, 1979, 35mm, 108 min.
Every perspective is an act of creation.

wilder

« Reply #167 on: October 15, 2013, 04:20:12 PM »
Carlotta Films Enters the U.S. Market
via blu-ray.com

Paris-based Carlotta Films has announced that it is launching a U.S. distribution company, which will be known as Carlotta Films U.S. The new company, which will be run by Calantha Mansfield, will focus on bringing classic and little seen independent films to the American market.

The first films Carlotta Films U.S. will distribute theatrically are restored prints of Leos Carax's Boy Meets Girl (1984), starring Denis Lavant, Mireille Perrier, and Carroll Brooks, and Mauvais sang a.k.a The Night is Young (1986), starring Michel Piccoli, Juliette Binoche, and Denis Lavant, as well as Charles Lane's Sidewalk Stories (1989), starring Charles Lane, Nicole Alysia, and Tom Alpern.

Preliminary release dates for upcoming Blu-ray and DVD releases have not yet been revealed.   

jenkins

• Neon Burrito
« Reply #168 on: October 16, 2013, 01:30:53 AM »
statistically speaking, boy meets girl astonishes me. leos carax was 24, denis lavant was 23, jean-yves escoffier was 34. following hail mary and redenz-vous, juliete binoche joins for the night is young. an early role from julie delpy. and the imdb synopsis is

In Paris in the near future. Aging thieves Marc and Hans owe money to a tough American woman who gives them two weeks to pay. They scheme to steal and sell a new serum for a disease that's killing lovers, but they need someone with quick steady hands. They recruit Alex, a disaffected youth who's breaking up with Lise, his 16-year-old girlfriend. In the few days before the theft, Alex becomes enchanted with Anna, Marc's young mistress. They talk, they play, they sing, but she's in love with Marc. Lise hasn't given up on Alex either, and she comes to Paris on the day of the theft. There are double crosses, a daring rescue, and, for Alex, a waiting plane. Will he make it?

wilder

« Reply #169 on: October 27, 2013, 11:47:17 PM »
January 14, 2014

Vincent Gallo's Buffalo '66 (1998) on blu-ray from Lionsgate

Buffalo '66 (1998) - Amazon

There's some debate on the blu-ray.com forum about whether or not the Lionsgate disc will be able to match the apparently flawless Japanese blu-ray transfer. Some screencaps from it in this post.

wilder

« Reply #170 on: October 30, 2013, 09:30:12 PM »
+1
January 21, 2014

Andrei Tarkovsky's Nostalghia (1983) on blu-ray from Kino

Nostalghia (1983) - Amazon

jenkins

• Neon Burrito
« Reply #171 on: November 04, 2013, 03:11:03 AM »

coming to la in november

bottom line: easy sell, that's all. many cinematic trinkets and that's interesting what they did with the birds there. it's got cosmos and dirty words and philosophical wizardry, huston and nero jesus and oh idk. for me this movie was sometimes beautiful and/or bizarre and not what i want. people laughed a lot because 1 omfg 2 well that was hilariously mean 3 well, whatever

wilder

« Reply #172 on: November 25, 2013, 09:42:04 PM »
January 21, 2014

Paul Verhoeven's Robocop (1987) mastered in 4K

Robocop (1987) 4K Remastered Edition - Amazon
« Last Edit: May 21, 2014, 04:14:16 PM by wilder »

jenkins

• Neon Burrito
« Reply #173 on: November 27, 2013, 06:59:49 PM »

night of the comet bluray has been released. the movie has a lot of features i treasure, in genre and tone. it's not an overall great movie imo, but i like it, and i've written about it. the screencaps show that well anyway it's a good bluray release. recommended for the curious

(edit)
i reread my own thing and clicked my own link and today also liked my own old writing about eating raoul. you can see, for many years i've been the person i continue to be. funny enough, i mention pynchon while writing about eating raoul

jenkins

• Neon Burrito
« Reply #174 on: December 10, 2013, 01:23:13 PM »
+1
big news imo:

Olivefilms will release Robert Altman's COME BACK TO THE 5 AND DIME, JIMMY DEAN, JIMMY DEAN on DVD/Blu-ray in 2014

wilder

« Reply #175 on: December 10, 2013, 04:58:23 PM »
^ Nice catch.

April 8, 2014

Billy Wilder's Sabrina (1954) from Warner Bros.

Sabrina (1954) - Amazon

This movie is weird. Humphrey Bogart feels way too old to be playing Audrey Hepburn's love interest, but the movie has beautiful b&w cinematography by Charles Lang.

wilder

« Reply #176 on: December 11, 2013, 08:18:07 PM »
Q1 2014 TBD

Sidney Lumet's The Pawnbroker (1964) from Olive Films

wilder

« Reply #177 on: December 13, 2013, 12:48:52 PM »
April 15, 2014

Douglas Sirk's Sleep, My Love (1948) from Olive Films

Alison Courtland wakes up in the middle of the night on board a train, but she cannot remember how she got there. Danger and suspense ensue.

Sleep, My Love (1948) - Amazon

wilder

« Reply #178 on: December 16, 2013, 03:39:48 PM »
May 2014 TBD

Michelangelo Antonioni's The Vanquished (1953) on blu-ray from Raro Video

Challenging linear narrative by weaving multiple story lines and exploring a directorial style way ahead of his time, director Michelangelo Antonioni's unique triptych film features three murders, one taking place in Paris, another in Rome, and another in London. All of the perpetrators are affluent youths, each killing for dubious motives. In the France segment, a group of adolescents kill for money, even though they don't need it; in the London segment, a poet uncovers a woman's body and tries to profit from the discovery; and in the Italian segment, a student becomes caught up in a smuggling ring, with deadly results. With elements that serve as a precursor to Blowup, Antonioni explores how modern society can produce nihilistic tendencies in the least likely characters.   

wilder

« Reply #179 on: December 17, 2013, 08:07:03 PM »
Just discovered that most (all?) of Eric Rohmer's films have been restored for blu-ray and were released in France this past November, all with optional English subtitles.

- La femme de l'aviateur (Blu-ray + DVD)
- Le beau mariage (Blu-ray + DVD)
- Pauline à la plage (Blu-ray + DVD)
- Les nuits de la pleine lune (Blu-ray + DVD)
- Le rayon vert (Blu-ray + DVD)
- L'ami de mon amie (Blu-ray + DVD)

Eric Rohmer - Comedies et proverbes - Amazon France

- Conte de printemps (Blu-ray + DVD)
- Conte d'hiver (Blu-ray + DVD)
- Conte d'été (Blu-ray + DVD)
- Conte d'automne (Blu-ray + DVD)

Eric Rohmer - Contes des quatres saisons - Amazon France

- La boulangère de Monceau (Blu-ray + DVD)
- La carrière de Suzanne (Blu-ray + DVD)
- La collectionneuse (Blu-ray + DVD)
- Ma nuit chez Maud (Blu-ray + DVD)
- Le genou de Claire (Blu-ray + DVD)
- L'amour l'après-midi (Blu-ray + DVD)

Eric Rohmer - Contes moraux - Amazon France

- Le signe du lion (Blu-ray + DVD)
- La boulangère de Monceau (Blu-ray + DVD)
- La carrière de Suzanne (Blu-ray + DVD)
- La collectionneuse (Blu-ray + DVD)
- Ma nuit chez Maud (Blu-ray + DVD)
- Le genou de Claire (Blu-ray + DVD)
- L'amour l'après-midi (Blu-ray + DVD)
- La marquise d'O... (Blu-ray + DVD)
- Perceval le Gallois (Blu-ray + DVD)
- La femme de l'aviateur (Blu-ray + DVD)
- Le beau mariage (Blu-ray + DVD)
- Pauline à la plage (Blu-ray + DVD)
- Les nuits de la pleine lune (Blu-ray + DVD)
- Le rayon vert (Blu-ray + DVD)
- L'ami de mon amie (Blu-ray + DVD)
- 4 aventures de Reinette et Mirabelle (Blu-ray + DVD)
- Conte de printemps (Blu-ray + DVD)
- Conte d'hiver (Blu-ray + DVD)
- Conte d'été (Blu-ray + DVD)
- Conte d'automne (Blu-ray + DVD)
- L'arbre, le maire et la médiathèque (Blu-ray + DVD)
- Les rendez-vous de Paris (Blu-ray + DVD)

Coffret Rohmer intégral - Amazon France

I love the light and framing in these screencaps included in the DVDBeaver review of Boyfriends and Girlfriends (1987), available in the Comedies et proverbes box set:

...and this IMDB user's comments on this particular movie, which remind me very much of Petzold as well:

Quote from: Ilpo Hirvonen
Eric Rohmer was more than one of the directors who formed the French New Wave. He also wrote a lot of surveys and articles about cinema, especially about his favorite director, F.W. Murnau, out who he wrote his dissertation. His first article that got published in the year 1948 was titled (directly translated:) "Film, art of space." In the year 1962 Eric Rohmer published his academic survey called: "The construction of space in Murnau's Faust." While reading about his surveys and articles, it's no surprise that space in Rohmer's films seems to be as important as the plot.

While trying to figure out the space of My Girlfriend's Boyfriend, I can't miss the futuristic city the characters live in. I got the feeling that Eric Rohmer isn't trying to tell a story of four specific people who live in France. To me he's telling about all the people living in these suburbs of Paris. The space of a futuristic city, the city full of postmodern architecture without any past. This theme of the milieu leads to rootlessness. The people of this city have no past, each of them like to analyze and talk about themselves. But none of them really know who they are.

DMCA & Copyright | Terms & Conditions | Privacy Policy