Author Topic: Margaret  (Read 4528 times)

wilder

• Respect: +1838
Re: Margaret
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2012, 03:02:20 PM »
3 Hour Director's Cut Of Kenneth Lonergan's 'Margaret' Hits DVD and Blu-ray on July 10th
via The Playlist

Kenneth Lonergan's "Margaret," the long-delayed, much discussed, often troubled drama about a young girl (Anna Paquin) who accidentally causes a horrific bus accident, is finally making its way onto DVD and Blu-ray in July. As The New Yorker reports, the film will be available in both the original theatrical cut (which ran two-and-a-half-hours) alongside a new director's cut (with an additional 36 minutes of footage), presumably in a two-disc edition, on DVD at least.

Of course, since "Margaret" seems to carry with it an air of undesirability, the film will only be available through Amazon. Presumably this means that it won't be available through iTunes or Netflix, which is a real shame for a film that desperately deserves to be seen by more people.

Margaret (2011) Blu-ray - Amazon

Alexandro

• The Master of Two Worlds
  • Respect: +500
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2012, 12:30:36 AM »
just saw it. the "short" cut. it's pretty much masterful. I wasn't aware of the rocky road this film's had, but Paquin's age (not her performance, which is BRILLIANT) made me wonder. Also because the film feels like it was shot before this whole crisp and crystal clear cinematography nonsense that is ruining movies for me.

The film becomes about so many things and it's firmly grounded in a kind of normal human behaviour that is rare in movies these days. Gotta mention Paquin again because she just home runs this thing.

Has anyone seen the longer cut?

chere mill

• The Call to Adventure
  • Respect: +13
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2012, 01:19:45 AM »
Has anyone seen the longer cut?

yep. it's excellent. i watched them back to back. the theatrical cut is very good, but obviously butchered and messy. its glimpses of brilliance are fully realized in the extended cut, and then some. everything comes together just about perfectly.

Alexandro

• Respect: +500
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2015, 12:08:11 AM »
+1
Just rewatched this again. What gives? No no one has seen it? Now I think it's a full developed masterpiece. And I'm only talking of the "butched" version. Paquin gives one of the best performances by any actress in ages, and really everyone else does. It's so real, this film, you feel as you are part of it. I don't know what possessed everyone involved with this, but I can't point to any faults. As I was watching, I kept thinking of how fake most human behavior comes across in movies compared to it.

And the bravery the film has of just letting you splash into the complexities of being a confused and vulnerable human being, at any age, in any social context, figuring things out some times better than others. When it ended I kept trying to remember what films won academy awards the year this was released but I haven't been able to do it 'cause I don't want to get pissed off.

Garam

• The Meeting with the Goddess
  • Respect: +232
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2015, 12:14:46 AM »
I need to watch it again but my abiding memory of it is that the bus death scene was utterly harrowing. Really did feel like you were watching the life fade from the actress's eyes. Extremely 'real' like you said.

JG

• Respect: +55
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2015, 10:52:20 AM »
+1
This is one of my favorite movies. I actually can't believe this movie. I get all stirred just thinking about it, no joke. I became such a nerd for Kenneth Longergan after this, I read a bunch of his plays and also the script for his next movie, which takes place in the part of da world where i grew up.. v excited.

DMCA & Copyright | Terms & Conditions | Privacy Policy