PTA Interviews (on YouTube or otherwise)

Started by ono, July 07, 2011, 03:45:25 AM

wilder

Quote from: 03 on July 16, 2014, 04:17:21 PM
his best film, go with 'POUND'.
it's a little difficult to find, as far as i know, but worth the search. i don't know, maybe wilder has some info on a release??

For future reference, go to FilmAF, change the region drop-down menu to 'ALL', and it will return results showing blu-ray and DVD releases worldwide. Sometimes titles are changed overseas or are listed under their foreign translation, so searching by Director instead of Title can sometimes return more accurate results.

max from fearless

Ok, so this masterclass will be up in a couple of days, but my twitter feed threw these at me and I had to share, I just had to, cos they made me smile and want to watch/make/play more movies, and Alex Cox is a hero not only for his movies, but also for his moviedrome show which was spot on and something I loved when I was a kid....

A snippet of the mighty moviedrome below...

Jeremy Blackman

Frederico Fellini

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman on October 05, 2014, 06:17:15 PM
Watched the Grimes video. Meh.

I don't understand it's voice. Had to mute. Video was shit. PTA trolling.
We fought against the day and we won... WE WON.

Cinema is something you do for a billion years... or not at all.

noyes

Hardly trolling. That shit is a good song. Not even a Grimes fan (or familiar with the director), though I've heard of her before.
Needless to say, it wasn't necessarily the highlight of the day.

My man Rodrigo Perez already posted a relatively in-depth review on The Playlist. Assuming it'll be up on FilmLinc's YouTube page soon, so that'll be good to relive. Good times, good crowd.

Here's the review: http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplaylist/paul-thomas-anderson-at-nyff-5-influences-of-inherent-vice-plus-curated-clips-films-you-should-know-20141005
south america's my name.

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: Frederico Fellini on October 05, 2014, 08:16:07 PM
Quote from: Jeremy Blackman on October 05, 2014, 06:17:15 PM
Watched the Grimes video. Meh.

I don't understand it's voice. Had to mute. Video was shit. PTA trolling.

He must have been using it to illustrate something very specific. Otherwise it doesn't make sense. Or he hasn't seen many music videos... and doesn't remember his own...

Jeremy Blackman

Pitchfork calls "Oblivion" the best song of the decade so far (which I guess is how you know it's not). Their write-up does shed some light on the meaning of the song.

It is a fairly profound/personal song in content... shame that the lyrics are so clunky and the tune is so forgettable.

http://pitchfork.com/features/staff-lists/9466-the-top-200-tracks-of-2010-2014/10/

QuoteIf "Oblivion" says anything about our collective psyche at the midway point of a decade already defined by seismic, globe-altering revolutions, it's that the personal will always be political. The song recounts a specific sexual assault ("One of the most shattering experiences of my life," Grimes, who was born in Vancouver as Claire Boucher, told SPIN in 2012) by describing the psychic fallout: "And never walk about after dark/ It's my point of view/ Because someone could break your neck/ Coming up behind you always coming and you'd never have a clue," she lisps in her high, pinched voice. It's a dazzling, paralyzing performance, in part because Boucher sounds almost playful, and in part because the skronking behind her—the song's springy, propulsive synth line was one of 2012's most unforgettable—indicates something other than victimization. "See you on a dark night," Boucher repeats.

The song's video, directed by Emily Kai Bock, features a tiny, pink-haired Grimes lip-syncing "Oblivion" at a McGill football game (and later at a motorcross rally), wearing skeleton gloves and clutching a plastic boom box. There aren't many women hanging in the stands besides Boucher; one, darting up behind her, swats at the hood of Boucher's sweatshirt, a vaguely combative gesture that somehow seems more goofy than aggressive. On the field, a squad of taut-bellied cheerleaders, their hair pulled back with candy-colored bows, soar forth and land. Grimes, mouthing the lyrics to "Oblivion," dances the way people dance when no one is looking: a desexualized, mostly arrhythmic twitching that does not seem to be for the benefit of anyone else at all.

The particular kind of masculinity that gets amplified by organized sporting events—the same feral, drooling aggression Bill Buford made infamous in Among the Thugs, his harrowing account of hooliganism among English soccer fans—would be an easy target for a feminist with a video camera, but Grimes is received warmly by the crowd. In that sense, it is a triumph—of perseverance, if not humanity—and it feels consistent with her mission. The subversion of expectation is a part of Grimes's founding aesthetic, and she frequently marries more defiant genres like noise and punk with propulsive pop production, outfitting her dissent in studio glimmer.  The melody can be so sweet as to feel bubblegum, and when Boucher sings a bit like "I will wait forever"–a line that always jumps out–"Oblivion" starts to seem like a very different kind of lament.

But what "Oblivion" ultimately offers is victory. It's the sound of one woman turning personal devastation into not just a career-making single, but a lasting anthem of transformation.

P Heat

Lel. I always liked the Grimes video and how spontaneous it seems. It has a idgaf quality to it. Also, it was shot on film. The song itself it okay.
Quote from: Pubrick on September 11, 2012, 06:33:41 PM
anyway it was after i posted my first serious fanalysis. after the long post all he could say was that the main reason he wanted to see the master was cos of all the red heads.
:P

modage

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

P Heat

Anyone have an idea on when the Masterclass With PTA is going to be uploaded on youtube? :/
Quote from: Pubrick on September 11, 2012, 06:33:41 PM
anyway it was after i posted my first serious fanalysis. after the long post all he could say was that the main reason he wanted to see the master was cos of all the red heads.
:P

md

Haven't seen the Master Class posted but here are a few excerpts and quotes (I dont believe has been posted).

http://flavorwire.com/481033/10-filmmaking-lessons-from-paul-thomas-anderson/view-all
"look hard at what pleases you and even harder at what doesn't" ~ carolyn forche

modage

I have the full recording too. I can prob upload someplace. I thought filmlinc was gonna do it by now.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Reel