Author Topic: INHERENT VICE (No Major Spoilers)  (Read 186853 times)

Lottery

• The Return Threshold
  • Respect: +470
Re: INHERENT VICE (No Major Spoilers)
« Reply #675 on: October 08, 2014, 10:17:15 PM »
And that TWBB draft where Daniel's dick didn't work.

matt35mm

• The Master of Two Worlds
  • Bony old behind.
  • Respect: +494
    • My Films on Vimeo
« Reply #676 on: October 08, 2014, 10:38:55 PM »
+9
Yeah, I see his movies as engaging seriously with notions of masculinity, which is really interesting when he does it. I actually have tended to be more drawn to movies that engage with femininity in a serious way. I am generally uninterested in movies about dudes by dudes. PTA is the major exception. He makes movies about very peculiar but very specifically masculine relationships. He has a lot he wants to explore about men, and he's doing it so well, and I want to see him dig deeper in that direction because it's meaningful and illuminating when he does it. Masculinity is a major theme in his movies, and to have the focus on the men makes very good sense.

In my own films, I know that I'm always going to be more interested in engaging with femininity. I have nothing I want to explore about masculinity, but I have endless fascination with femininity. If you just look at the movies I've made so far, they could be called sexist in that they never feature major male roles. Several of my movies only feature women. The more movies I make, the more it's going to be this way.

The problem with almost every other movie is that it is not seriously engaged with any of these ideas, and the male dominance is done simply as the default. But for a filmmaker's movies to be heavily masculine or feminine is not a problem to me, if that is that filmmaker's interest. To me, the real enemy is the tendency to fall back on the default, and that default is sexist and racist and ageist and all of that. But if a filmmaker moves away from the default and into serious engagement, or at least personal obsession, then I don't see much to get pissed off about. It's the default, thoughtless stuff that's the problem.

To address something else, the idea that directing is not something that attracts women is just not correct. It's something that men assume they can do (even though most of the men I know who say they want to direct are idiots and should not direct), and the whole system assumes that men can do, and that many women who have legitimately great ideas are unsure if they really should direct because the system assumes that they can't. The general mentality and assumptions about how a director is supposed to behave is something that blocks the very many women who want to direct but aren't taken seriously by others or themselves, even though they should be. Men are just very good at being oblivious to their own idiocy/ineptitude, which is fine because they can let "being a man" do all the heavy lifting as far as getting people to take them seriously. How men have ever gotten so far is a mystery. Have you ever noticed how many men are just bad at their jobs, and not very smart or interesting or thoughtful? Yes, the same is true of women, but men don't get penalized for it in the same way, or quite as pigeonholed into ideas of what they can and can't do, even when they've never demonstrated any special ability. They can skate by, and this perfumes them with an ill-gotten confidence that allows them to skate even more by. Meanwhile, we all have to suffer the general lowering of standards that happens when the actual best person for the job isn't the one getting to do the job, and when an untold number of women who could do really brilliant work if they were encouraged to fully bloom their abilities are instead (understandably) cowering in self-doubt from having to suffer 20x the amount of social pressure that men do.

Anyway... yeah PTA's great.

Alexandro

• Respect: +500
« Reply #677 on: October 09, 2014, 12:10:00 PM »
+4
there is a difference between an ARTIST like  PTA and every other industry hack who will be phallocentric because that's the way commercial films pander to audiences. when PTA (or any other serious artist) does it, the less he plays around with PC correctness the better, because he's not following non written rules about gender or race in cinema, he's just submitting to his impulses and finding himself through his films.

ono

• Respect: +232
« Reply #678 on: October 09, 2014, 07:39:50 PM »
+2

mogwai

• Respect: +68
« Reply #679 on: October 10, 2014, 12:23:28 PM »
+1
This threads need Pubrick.

Where did he go?

AntiDumbFrogQuestion

• The Ultimate Boon
  • Respect: +45
« Reply #680 on: October 10, 2014, 04:46:14 PM »
the reason why I see it as wrong is becuase its a constant stereotype the obese angry black mammy but its a toss up if this is how you see negros then fine & i never said pta couldnt write woman characters i think he has.

Again, I that's where I wish there was more in the film that was in the shooting script...
it seems like this movie is full of stereotypes, as a jumping off point, that then gets deeper into their layers of being. Like the Cop is more than just a "Cop", the Junkie is more than just a "Junkie", the Trophy Wife, etc.
So did Marcie have a deeper story wherein she was a protector to her son and grandson by eliminating an abusive force in their lives. So I totally agree with you, and am cursed with knowing there was SO much more that could be made of that role in just a scene or two.

Aight, I'm done talking Magnolia! onto the IV!

Larry

• The Road of Trials
  • Respect: +86
« Reply #681 on: October 10, 2014, 04:49:07 PM »

Again, I that's where I wish there was more in the film that was in the shooting script...
it seems like this movie is full of stereotypes, as a jumping off point, that then gets deeper into their layers of being. Like the Cop is more than just a "Cop", the Junkie is more than just a "Junkie", the Trophy Wife, etc.

so true. this becomes clear after reading the magnolia screenplay

Jeremy Blackman

• Admin
  • Respect: +1489
« Reply #682 on: October 10, 2014, 09:32:01 PM »
+1
Just occurred to me... Do people remember the scene in Hard Eight where Sydney is talking to Clementine... she's sitting on the bed and he's standing right in front of her? That was an especially memorable bit from the commentary track. PTA talked about how intimidating/threatening/phallic that position felt to him and described how intentional that was. Maybe worth revisiting for this conversation.
"Hunger is the purest sin"

SailorOfTheSeas

• The Road of Trials
  • Lung cancer dudd
  • Respect: +54
« Reply #683 on: October 11, 2014, 04:08:42 PM »
+1
I've got a question for the majorspoiler squad. Is there a scene in this akin to the frogs in Maggie, the ending to twbb, the processing scene in The Master? I don't mean in terms of content but similar in a "holy fuck" woah nowthatssomething" kinda way. ik that almost every moment in his films r like that but i mean these especially, in a way that the critics and casual viewers see them as the most memorable/especially abstract and big, and they often hold a large space in the films space in ur mind and seem to be the crescendo.

The way IV's been described so far and from reviews there doesn't seem to be somethin like this, but whas ur guys perspective?Please dont give away what scene in actually is or any majorspoils though haha, i jus wanna know some vague y/n type answer

Larry

• The Road of Trials
« Reply #684 on: October 11, 2014, 08:23:41 PM »
+1

Gittes

• The Road of Trials
  • Respect: +15
« Reply #685 on: October 12, 2014, 11:44:01 AM »
Evidently, I need to do a better job of committing to my "no spoilers" approach, but since I'm here, I must ask: Larry, where is that image from? It's great. It looks like a scan. If so, do you know which magazine it was taken from?

Larry

• The Road of Trials
« Reply #686 on: October 12, 2014, 12:38:40 PM »
I found it here: https://www.facebook.com/PTAndersonPeru

it definitely looks scanned, a little too grainy. Wish I knew where these guys found it. It must have been a magazine

Drenk

• Respect: +596
« Reply #687 on: October 12, 2014, 12:44:21 PM »
Critics got it at the press screening. Booklet. I don't know the exact word. It was the picture for Doc's bio.
I'm so many people.

Larry

• The Road of Trials
« Reply #688 on: October 14, 2014, 08:10:36 PM »
Indiewire's NYFF 2014 Critics Poll Results: 'Inherent Vice' Leads the Pack

http://www.indiewire.com/article/indiewires-nyff-2014-critics-poll-results-inherent-vice-leads-the-pack-20141014

“Inherent Vice,” the tale of private investigator Doc Sportello adapted from Thomas Pynchon's 2009 novel, led the way in four different areas of our New York Film Festival critics poll, including Best Narrative Feature, Best Director and two different acting categories. As we often do at the end of major film festivals, we asked critics to single out their favorites, this time including films, performances, directors and screenplays.

full results:
http://www.indiewire.com/survey/best-films-and-performances-from-nyff-2014/

Larry

• The Road of Trials
« Reply #689 on: October 15, 2014, 01:19:38 PM »
‘Inherent Vice’ Set For Gala Screening At AFI Fest

After a vibrant world premiere at the New York Film Festival, Deadline reports that Inherent Vice is heading west; the film is set for a gala screening at the AFI Fest in Hollywood on November 8th in The Egyptian Theatre.

http://deadline.com/2014/10/inherent-vice-afi-fest-joaquin-phoenix-paul-thomas-anderson-851641/

DMCA & Copyright | Terms & Conditions | Privacy Policy