Author Topic: INHERENT VICE (No Major Spoilers)  (Read 160083 times)

DocSportello

• The Road of Trials
  • Let It Ride
  • Respect: +28
Re: INHERENT VICE
« Reply #240 on: May 23, 2013, 11:03:34 PM »
The Sean Penn scoop makes the Jim Carrey-as-Bigfoot rumors that have been floating around feel like a soon-to-be reality

WOMP WOOOOMP!

No matter. Whoever it ends up being will of course be incredible. PTA aint gonna fuck that character up.

I would speak further but my current internet source is that of a PS3 browser, sans keyboard, so it literally takes a decade to write anything. Until I'm near a comp, I'm bumpin'.

Drenk

• The Magic Flight
  • Respect: +451
« Reply #241 on: May 24, 2013, 04:18:41 AM »
+1
The idea of Michael Shannon for Bigfoot is pretty great, isn't it? I'm praying God.

And I read this :

Joaquin Phoenix not here for THE IMMIGRANT. He's shooting the new PT Anderson. "Believe it or not he wanted to come," sez dir James Gray.

So...It begins.
I'm so many people.

Lottery

• The Return Threshold
  • You're Dead!
  • Respect: +445
« Reply #242 on: May 24, 2013, 04:55:53 AM »
Yeah, Shannon has been on my wishlist but David Warshofsky would be cool too.

And I always finish with that Hoffman could pull it off too (another role besides Wolfmann).

Larry

• The Road of Trials
  • Respect: +86
« Reply #243 on: May 24, 2013, 12:04:28 PM »
Yeah, Shannon has been on my wishlist but David Warshofsky would be cool too.

And I always finish with that Hoffman could pull it off too (another role besides Wolfmann).

Shannon's at the top of my wishlist. Warshofsky would be good, but he probably won't be cast in such a major role
Dodd vs. Quell in the next life sounds fascinating

DocSportello

• The Road of Trials
  • Let It Ride
  • Respect: +28
« Reply #244 on: May 25, 2013, 06:37:09 PM »
+1

MY GOD! I've been secretly hoping it would be PSH so when you put it that way....

Also, we're, like, total name-bros or something. So, hey Doc!

Larry

• The Road of Trials
  • Respect: +86
« Reply #245 on: May 26, 2013, 10:34:13 PM »

MY GOD! I've been secretly hoping it would be PSH so when you put it that way....

Also, we're, like, total name-bros or something. So, hey Doc!

Hiya there, Doc! I feel like this week is gonna be a good one....

Cloudy

• The Meeting with the Goddess
  • Respect: +268
« Reply #246 on: May 27, 2013, 10:03:56 PM »
+1
I know we're all looking for news, but someone from the 'IV' IMDB boards posted this segment of the book with the song Pynchon wrote in for it. This kinda stuff gets me excited.

I'm not even expecting this scene to be actually included in the film, but two nights ago I was re-reading this part while listening to this , and imagning Joaquin and Owen... kinda blew my mind.

When the set ended, a curious sort of hippie chick approached the piano, her hair short and tightly permed, her outfit including a Little Black Dress from the 1950s and interestingly high stiletto heels. In fact, now that Doc looked closer, maybe she wasn’t really a hippie chick after all. She seated herself at the keyboard the way a poker player might at a promising table, ran a couple of A-minor scales up and down, and without much more introduction than that began to sing the Rodgers & Hart lounge classic “It Never Entered My Mind.” Doc was not a great admirer of torch material, had in fact been known to discreetly withdraw to the nearest toilet if he even suspected some might be on the way, but now he sat confounded and turning to Jell-O. Maybe it was this young woman’s voice, her quiet confidence in the material—howsoever, by the second eight bars Doc knew there was no way not to take the lyric personally. He found shades in his pocket and put them on. After an extended piano break and a repeat of the refrain, Doc on some impulse turned, and there was Coy Harlingen at his shoulder, like a parrot in a cartoon, also wearing shades and nodding. “I can sure relate to that lyric, man. Like, you make these choices? you know for sure you’r e doing the right thing for everybody, then it all goes belly-up and you see it couldn’t have been more wrong.”

MacGuffin

• Admin
  • Respect: +638
« Reply #247 on: May 28, 2013, 03:00:21 PM »
+2
Josh Brolin Joins P.T. Anderson’s ‘Inherent Vice’
BY MIKE FLEMING JR | Deadline

EXCLUSIVE: Josh Brolin is the latest star to join the killer cast of Inherent Vice, Paul Thomas Anderson‘s adaptation of the Thomas Pynchon detective novel. Brolin has been set for a key role, and will star alongside Joaquin Phoenix, Reese Witherspoon, Owen Wilson, Martin Short, and Jena Malone, with Sean Penn reportedly eyeing a role as well. The film shoots this summer for Warner Bros, and PTA is producing through his Ghoulardi Film Co. along with JoAnne Sellar and Daniel Lupi.

Brolin will finish that film and promote the three films he has coming out in the fall. He stars in the Robert Rodriguez/Frank Miller-directed Sin City 2: A Dame To Kill For, for The Weinstein Company. After that comes Oldboy, the remake he stars in for director Spike Lee, and then the Jason Reitman-directed Labor Day, opposite Kate Winslet. That film opens in limited release at Christmas. CAA-repped Brolin was last seen in Gangster Squad at Warner Bros.
“Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art.” - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Kellen

• The Vision Quest
  • Respect: +60
« Reply #248 on: May 28, 2013, 03:11:11 PM »
Damn!

Lottery

• The Return Threshold
  • You're Dead!
« Reply #249 on: May 28, 2013, 07:27:11 PM »
+1
He was picked because he is intimidating and likes Western stuff like Bigfoot. My theory anyway.

Anyone feel that this movie will be a fair bit like The Long Goodbye?

Ghostboy

• Admin
  • Respect: +377
    • http://www.road-dog-productions.com/
« Reply #250 on: May 28, 2013, 10:14:04 PM »
+2
I wonder if the movie will have as much pussy eating as the book.

Lottery

• The Return Threshold
  • You're Dead!
« Reply #251 on: May 28, 2013, 11:37:13 PM »
Of course, The Long Goodbye will be an inspiration.. but that's only one film, man. There are obvious plot/character connections, but PTA will be pulling from (thematic, aesthetic) sources more obscure than Robert Altman

IV will be something completely different: a psychedelic film-noir caper, acid lighting, groovy vibes, star-studded cast....

Just the way how Marlowe goes from place to place and person to person and his whole 'okay with me', reminds me of Doc, except Doc is more likely to say 'groovy' instead. The atmosphere and what not. And I certainly can't lose the Lebowski image either.

Yeah, I'm very much interested in where he'll draw inspiration from on this one. Who knows, maybe The Master was the end of PTA mark II and the dude will start on his next 3-film cycle.
His PDL-TWBB-The Master streak is just so very, very perfect and brilliant.

classical gas

• The Ultimate Boon
  • Respect: +31
« Reply #252 on: May 29, 2013, 12:27:27 AM »

So Pynchon is a dirty old man?  I always thought of him as an egghead.  If the former is true, well, he's a dying breed for god's sake.

Lottery

• The Return Threshold
  • You're Dead!
« Reply #253 on: May 29, 2013, 01:01:39 AM »

So Pynchon is a dirty old man?  I always thought of him as an egghead.  If the former is true, well, he's a dying breed for god's sake.

I really hope they keep the tie-rack scene for those who haven't read it. That was so weird and awesome.
There is a character who literally asks others if they like eating pussy.

polkablues

• Child of Myth
  • Admin
  • Respect: +1764
« Reply #254 on: May 29, 2013, 02:31:15 PM »
+1
Don't forget "Ted".
Now you're in the *spoiler* place.

DMCA & Copyright | Terms & Conditions | Privacy Policy