Author Topic: INHERENT VICE (No Major Spoilers)  (Read 159798 times)

polkablues

• Child of Myth
  • Admin
  • Respect: +1758
Re: INHERENT VICE
« Reply #225 on: May 15, 2013, 09:32:05 PM »
+2
More into that than the Reese news.
Now you're in the *spoiler* place.

Cloudy

• The Meeting with the Goddess
  • Respect: +268
« Reply #226 on: May 15, 2013, 09:54:08 PM »
More into that than the Reese news.

My thoughts exactly.

Lottery

• The Return Threshold
  • You're Dead!
  • Respect: +444
« Reply #227 on: May 16, 2013, 04:26:48 AM »
+1
Witherspoon as Shasta seems like a logical casting choice. But who else would have made a good Ms Hepworth?
Michelle Williams? Her younger clonal copy, Carey Mulligan? And so on.

HeywoodRFloyd

• The Vision Quest
  • Respect: +133
« Reply #228 on: May 16, 2013, 08:01:08 AM »
Martin Short, fuck yeah

jenkins

• The Master of Two Worlds
  • Respect: +1364
    • Neon Burrito
« Reply #229 on: May 16, 2013, 03:00:34 PM »
short hair is la popular, detective
Every perspective is an act of creation.

Lottery

• The Return Threshold
  • You're Dead!
« Reply #230 on: May 18, 2013, 10:04:00 PM »
+3

DocSportello

• The Road of Trials
  • Let It Ride
  • Respect: +28
« Reply #231 on: May 19, 2013, 05:45:21 PM »
+2
That's such great news. The Sean Penn scoop makes the Jim Carrey-as-Bigfoot rumors that have been floating around feel like a soon-to-be reality. I'd say midway through this week we'll be seeing a post from Modage confirming it.

It's funny that it may also bring truth to what C&RV were speculating about over twitter a few weeks ago, suggesting Mr. Carrey was very cleverly hinting at his involvement in the film when he showed up to the Letterman show like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24tE-V8bAoA

Extremely excited about all the fresh faces in PTA'S universe for this one. My favorite part of anticipating a new PTA film has always been not having the slightest clue what it will look/feel like when I see it. Having read the book, I find it all that much more amazing that this time around is no exception. I have no idea how he's going to pull it off. And it's a great feeling.

Lottery

• The Return Threshold
  • You're Dead!
« Reply #232 on: May 19, 2013, 06:22:04 PM »
+1
My favorite part of anticipating a new PTA film has always been not having the slightest clue what it will look/feel like when I see it. Having read the book, I find it all that much more amazing that this time around is no exception. I have no idea how he's going to pull it off. And it's a great feeling.

Yep, that's definitely how I feel about it.

Reelist

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Respect: +965
« Reply #233 on: May 19, 2013, 07:40:37 PM »
welcome back to the REAL Doc Sportello
You can go to places in the world with pudding. That. Is. Funny.

P Heat

• The Vision Quest
  • Respect: +12
« Reply #234 on: May 20, 2013, 03:52:16 AM »
She's an American citizen!

LOL!! 

FUUUU ...... P.T is killing me with this choice though...
anyway it was after i posted my first serious fanalysis. after the long post all he could say was that the main reason he wanted to see the master was cos of all the red heads.
  :P

Pubrick

• Admin
  • Lynchian identity mystery
  • Respect: +769
« Reply #235 on: May 20, 2013, 09:08:32 AM »
we may be going back to ensemble here folks.

this many "name" actors, it'd be a shame for him to waste them with minor lines or background roles. this is gonna be some kind of showcase. more than a revisiting of his previous ensemble work, or an extension of his recent intense single character focus, it seems like it could be some kind of hybrid we haven't seen from him before.

where is PTA going with this? just when i thought his trajectory made perfect sense.. could this be an EWS-prototype? in the sense that this doc character will be made to be a passive/reactionary type who travels from scene to see absorbing and reflecting interesting characters, under the guise of a drug fueled hazy dream in search of a mysterious woman?

QUESTION TO THOSE WHO HAVE READ THE BOOK: Is there a mysterious woman?
endless 'nothing is what it seems'-isms

AntiDumbFrogQuestion

• The Ultimate Boon
  • Respect: +45
« Reply #236 on: May 20, 2013, 11:40:11 AM »
All we can really hope for is something more Altman than "Towering Inferno", which I'm sure is what's going to happen. We know the choices aren't being made to star-stud the piece into commercial territory, even with a few A-listers in the roster, and that these are people PTA knew would be good for this adaptation.

I remember the first ensemble piece I was disappointed with as a kid was "Mars Attacks"...(even though I find it kind of fun to watch now). However I watched "Gosford Park" recently for the first time in about 5 years and saw all these great actors that I'm now familiar with being utilized brilliantly.

Not sure how the movie will turn out, but the dry, straight-foward and trippy nature of Doc informs the atmosphere of the book as well as the environment and surrounding characters. PTAs myriad influences always produce a hybrid that seems natural. One can only hope to stay excited and unaware as to the final product until we see something.

Lottery

• The Return Threshold
  • You're Dead!
« Reply #237 on: May 20, 2013, 07:14:38 PM »
It will depend on exactly how close PTA wants it to the book, no doubt Shasta's (and perhaps Bigfoot's) will get meatier roles than in the book. There are a whole bunch of interesting characters that get only like a scene or two each. Some characters will be cut out all together.

There's always that chance that great actors may end up 'underused' but I won't really care that much if they are utilised memorably within the few scenes they're in.

I think people will definitely complain about the plot when the film gets released, they'll say it's aimless and with a handful of coincidences happening. But yeah, really, really interesting characters with awesome names (that is one of my favourite things about the book, a link back to PTA anyway). PTA himself could certainly tighten up the plot if he felt like it.

socketlevel

• The Master of Two Worlds
  • Respect: +75
« Reply #238 on: May 21, 2013, 11:38:16 AM »
I read the book last summer in anticipation for this film, and I found it really boring. I'm sure PTA will do something substantial with it, and hopefully improve upon it, though I am a little bewildered why he chose it above others. Anyone got a link to an interview where he discusses how this came about?
the one last hit that spent you...

Garam

• The Vision Quest
  • Respect: +232
« Reply #239 on: May 21, 2013, 12:02:15 PM »
Pynchon's peeps was shopping around Inherent Vice almost straight after it was published as a movie project since it's cross-over friendly, and PTA snapped it up. I don't know about Pynchon's older books, i'm assuming the rights to those were sold back in the 70s.

DMCA & Copyright | Terms & Conditions | Privacy Policy