Author Topic: I just saw Hard Eight for the first time  (Read 26875 times)

Stefen

• The Master of Two Worlds
  • smh
  • Respect: +190
Re: I just saw Hard Eight for the first time
« Reply #120 on: January 30, 2009, 12:39:41 AM »
Everyone is P here. Especially you, Pozer. ESPECIALLY YOU.
Let's go to a motel. We don't have to do anything -- we could just swim.

Stefen

• smh
« Reply #121 on: September 19, 2010, 11:27:57 PM »
Anyone notice how PTA made pirating cool before the internet was big? When John is explaining to Clementine how they get free PPV movies through the 2 tv's, it made me realize this. I pirate all the time.

KJ

• The Magic Flight
  • Respect: +224
« Reply #122 on: September 24, 2010, 03:05:56 PM »
I pirate all the time.

your a bad person

Tictacbk

• The Magic Flight
  • Respect: +178
« Reply #123 on: September 24, 2010, 04:36:55 PM »

john

• The Ultimate Boon
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #124 on: September 24, 2010, 05:15:56 PM »
UR*
Maybe every day is Saturday morning.

Stefen

• smh
« Reply #125 on: June 16, 2011, 05:44:40 PM »
+1
Hard Eight was briefly trending on Twitter just now thanks to the #DescribeYourPenisWithAMovie hashtag.

Replying with "It's called Sydney!" would have been a bad idea.

Reelist

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Respect: +967
« Reply #126 on: July 18, 2013, 11:59:02 AM »
+1
I have a question about "Sydney/Hard Eight". I know that it was filmed on 35mm, so the director has a choice of different aspect ratios.

I think that both 1.33 and 2.35 versions on the "Hard Eight" DVD are inadequate. In 2.35, there are close-ups of John C. Reilly that cut off his head. It just doesn't look good.

So, my question is, can we have an alternate 1.85 aspect ratio version of "Sydney" that would open up the black bars, and capture more image on top and bottom, as well as left and right side?

Since "The Master" is filmed in 1.85, I think that "Sydney" could be a wonderful aspect ratio soul mate to "The Master". It's my dream to watch "Sydney" on Bluray in 1.85!

Damnit, I specifically remembered you mentioning this before I watched it last night, but I put on the widescreen version anyway thinking it'd have a better resolution. It is indeed cropped, or blown up, Idk what. A lot more shots are cut off at the top than just one close up. I can't do screencaps either, but just watch the movie. It made me wonder if the reason could possibly be that PTA finalized the movie on a work print? In any case, yeah I would really love to see this movie in 1.85 on HD. The way it looks on the DVD is kind of pitiful, it doesn't do the film justice. There could be a lot of tidying up in the steadicam shots and where it quickly changes focus. One shot in particular where Sydney stands up at a table and his back is against the camera in close up just looks like a ton of fuzz dancing on a grey backdrop when I should be seeing BLACK. The movie deserves to be presented as the sleek piece of work it is, I want Phillip Baker Hall's eyes to pierce my soul.
You can go to places in the world with pudding. That. Is. Funny.

ono

• Respect: +181
« Reply #127 on: June 14, 2016, 09:50:12 PM »
http://www.dazeddigital.com/artsandculture/article/31498/1/your-guide-to-paul-thomas-anderson-s-first-film

Most of this is probably old news for most people around here, but it's still worth a look for old time's sake.

DMCA & Copyright | Terms & Conditions | Privacy Policy