White Collar

Started by Gold Trumpet, November 02, 2009, 02:28:30 AM

Gold Trumpet

New show on USA. I actually like it a lot. The standard show on USA seems to be comic versions of age old television ideas. White Collar has a Catch Me If You Can-like plot to it, but the show isn't the simple reworking in the Psych or Burn Notice fashion. The stories aren't just based on charm or the intrinsic knowledge of something cool. While I love Burn Notice, I do understand the show has a B movie aura around it.

White Collar is not only well put together technically, but the show really clicks because of the acting and writing talent that surround the two lead actors. The way they handle themselves around each other and play off each others quircks is refreshing. The plot of a given episode will be headed to a conclusion where they capture a suspect, but the two lead actors are given enough room to play off of each other in small moments. The writing is patient and observant of each character's defiencies and how the other would handle it. Two years ago I complimented Mr. Brooks. The plot in that movie was atrocious, but the writing and acting between Costner and Hurt was amazing. I wish the movie was just about their interactions. This show has a lot of that same charm and acting quality.

White Collar isn't a candidate for best show, but the acting chops between the two actors is good. The writing is sparse with plot concerns and heavier on character interaction. The hope is the show's patience and adherrance to character interaction continues through out, but most shows adhere to improvement by making plots more elaborate and explanatory. Hopefully this show goes against those tides.

Note: When I say character interaction, I don't mean the stories are more deft. There isn't an attempt at true drama here. I just mean the stories are more fleshed out.

Gold Trumpet

Talking to myself, season two premiered last night and the show is still awesome. I love Burn Notice and all, but the story is starting to get stale. Too many basic set ups and not enough inventive writing around the easy-to-read scenarios. The show is also starting to get hunkered down in bad plot ideas and is less about Michael Weston's great imagination.

However, White Collar has the quality of good character interaction between the two leads to fall back on. They make for a great relationship. The show plays on their quirks and other character's quirks a lot better. The set up of the show is similar to Burn Notice in that an episode will revolve a case, but White Collar is less committed to showcasing the in's and out's every time. Sometimes the episode will just gloss over it while focusing on other things. There is more of a free flowing imagination with the episodes.

Also, I think the actors are better suited in White Collar, including Tiffany Amber Theissen.

polkablues

I do enjoy this show.  Just figured I should put that out there so you don't have to feel too lonely.
My house, my rules, my coffee