Author Topic: Spike Jonze & Kanye West - We Were Once a Fairytale  (Read 3500 times)

New Feeling

• The Vision Quest
  • Respect: +4
Re: Spike Jonze & Kanye West - We Were Once a Fairytale
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2010, 03:51:34 PM »
Easily the best artist in pop music for the 00s.

i was talking about this part... what the fuck does it mean

ok it was a pretty hyperbolic statement, but it was meant to suggest that when the history of Popular music is assessed by breaking it down to decades, the decade beginning in 2000 and ending in 2009 will feature very few truly interesting artists that achieved legit mainstream success.  Kanye is certainly one of them, and due to his run of excellent albums combined with his prolific and influential production work, especially with Jay-Z (one of the other few contenders), along with his highly controversial persona, I would cast my vote in his favor.  Of course now that I think about it I might have cast my vote for Radiohead or the Flaming Lips or Animal Collective, but I can't really consider them "Pop" in the same way I consider Kanye. 

Of course you are free to disagree and I'd love to hear who you think was the great pop musician of recent times.   

Stefen

• The Master of Two Worlds
  • smh
  • Respect: +190
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2010, 03:52:46 PM »
He just looks and acts the part. Excellent albums? Come on. His music is garbage.
Let's go to a motel. We don't have to do anything -- we could just swim.

New Feeling

• The Vision Quest
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2010, 05:23:25 PM »
that's just ridiculous

Pubrick

• Admin
  • Lynchian identity mystery
  • Respect: +769
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2010, 07:57:06 AM »
i dunno.

in terms of success he isnt the GOAT that he believes himself to be. what ppl will remember are the ppl who were huge in 2000-2010. kanye's one of them but so is Black Eyed Peas (garbage) and Justin Timberlake (kinda alrite) -- THAT's pop music, hell even BEYONCE is more easily classifiable as pop music than freaking Jay Z. an early contender for this title in the new decade is Gaga - EASY.

Kanye is probably best compared to Timbaland. his hip hop cred is nowhere near Jay Z and to be honest that's the only thing Jay Z brings to the table (god knows where he got it cos i think the dude is massively overrated).. in terms of amazing pop music you have to look at what Timbaland did as producer (pussycat dolls and those 2late 2pologize ppl notwithstanding) in the last decade. he's on hiatus now, whatever that means, but he left his mark and made a pretty penny which won't be forgotten anytime soon.

kanye SELLS himself as the greatest of all time. so when ppl try to think of who the best is, it's easy to remember that there was this one dude who all he ever said was "hey i'm the best pop artist of all time, remember that".. that's actually frighteningly close to a real quote of his.  he is not the best POP artist between 2000 and 2010 in terms of success, or even what he's done to the genre.

he's just a egomaniac producer slightly more camera-hungry than timbaland.
endless 'nothing is what it seems'-isms

72teeth

• The Master of Two Worlds
  • noble creature...
  • Respect: +109
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2010, 07:59:46 PM »
kantye sux!

Doctor, Always Do the Right Thing.

Yowza Yowza Yowza

New Feeling

• The Vision Quest
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2010, 03:25:40 AM »
I just want to say it's nice of Neil to represent for Kanye but he should probably do it in this thread.  I'll back you up bro. 

DMCA & Copyright | Terms & Conditions | Privacy Policy