MacGuffin

Best Film: WALL•E

THE NOMINEES

The Dark Knight
Milk
Synecdoche, New York
Wall•E
The Wrestler
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Kal

Gold Trumpet

I'm noticing a lot of variety in all the selections (even a Zodiac upset over There Will be Blood in the DVD section), but I voted for this film, too, and happy it won.

polkablues

My house, my rules, my coffee

Pas

Wall-E beat Charlie Kaufman, Aronofsky and Gus Van Sant at Xixax. Where are the fanboys ?

Pixar will release a bunch of other movies and Wall-E will just be another Pixar classic. I think The Wrestler is a better film and is more relevant.

As long as Milk didn't win though I'm fine.

modage

i voted Dark Knight of course, but i really can't hate •n that little guy.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Stefen

Makes sense that an animated film was the best movie of it's respective shitty year.

I didn't vote for it, but I'm okay that it won. It really does deserve it. I don't know how Pixar does it.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Fernando

Nice surprise, i thought TDK had it locked, like mod I voted for TDK but this was pretty great, man we should send them a link so they see this....looked up at their site and there's a mail but it's for investors..

©brad

Quote from: Stefen on April 07, 2009, 09:11:30 AM
Makes sense that an animated film was the best movie of it's respective shitty year.

Really? I thought this year was great.

Stefen

^I'm probably just jaded.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Alexandro

we might be making an academy kind of historic mistake here. i like walle as much as anyone else around here, but we had the chance to award synecdoche...

RegularKarate

Quote from: Alexandro on April 07, 2009, 01:37:58 PM
we might be making an academy kind of historic mistake here. i like walle as much as anyone else around here, but we had the chance to award synecdoche...

Well, when historians are studying the Xixax archives and see how we screwed up and nominated a film that people will love forever instead of one that people sit through because they're "supposed to" we'll really kick ourselves, won't we?

(just kidding, historians won't exist in the future)

cine

2009 was the year the fanboys died.

Sleepless

As much as I love Wall●E, TDK should have ruled.
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

Reinhold

Quote from: RegularKarate on April 07, 2009, 02:40:59 PM
Quote from: Alexandro on April 07, 2009, 01:37:58 PM

Well, when historians are studying the Xixax archives and see how we screwed up and nominated a film that people will love forever instead of one that people sit through because they're "supposed to" we'll really kick ourselves, won't we?

(just kidding, historians won't exist in the future)

i, for one, was completely captivated by synecdoche from beginning to end. i really loved it.  on the other hand, Wall-e was also stunning, and the fact that synecdoche is a harder film to understand than wall e doesn't make it any more or less significant (to history. it actually does make it "signify" more things... but you know what i meant). compared to most mainstream cinema, both are really amazing pieces that would each deserve the "best" ranking here, but wall-e's win takes nothing way from synecdoche. consider also that wall e reached many more people, was a responsibly paced children's movie with a genuinely good message and incredible visuals, and probably got a lot of kids excited about going to the movies.

i'll never forget watching this with my little brother and seeing him as a seven year old pick out the themes of the film and really invest in Wall E and Eve... it's a very important film in its own right because it's perfectly communicative to its target audiences: people untrained in film analysis, and thoughtful people. if your argument against Wall-E is that it's too similar to other films, give me a recent example of a mainstream film that can fairly be said to have that kind of success. show me anything, especially in synecdoche, that can inspire a kid to have both a sense of responsibility and hope.
Quote from: Pas Rap on April 23, 2010, 07:29:06 AM
Obviously what you are doing right now is called (in my upcoming book of psychology at least) validation. I think it's a normal thing to do. People will reply, say anything, and then you're gonna do what you were subconsciently thinking of doing all along.