XIXAX Film Forum

I Heard You Paint Houses/ The Irishman

MacGuffin · 59 · 18746

©brad

• Admin
Reply #45 on: March 08, 2019, 07:53:23 PM
Nicely done.  Hope the film is as good as this teaser.

If I ran things all trailers would be this simple -  just text and VO and nothing else.

Drenk

• The Master of Two Worlds
Reply #46 on: March 09, 2019, 06:41:45 AM
The first pages of this thread were fun to read again.

An answer to eward:

Personally, I think it will be really disappointing; I'm not familiar with the source material but I wonder why Scorsese wants to tell this story, why he needs that much money, and I don't think that it will be a hit. Can a Netflix movie be a hit? I don't even know. Why bother? They needs subscriptions and we'll never know how many people or money it will really make—this is abstract and can, therefore, make that kind of movie possible, but I'm worried that it doesn't also affect their existence. Netflix movies wither away more easily than other movies.

I'm curious as hell, though. Silence wasn't the disaster I expected like most of the "dream projects" are (remember Don Quixote by Gilliam? it was in cinemas in France for a week or two, people've seen it and all) but it was also not as strong as it should have been—as if, yes, it was too late. That director. That cast. That release. It will probably be spectral once the Oscar campaign is done. Or it will be halfway there? à la BlacKkKlansman?
I'm so many people.

Gold Trumpet

• The Master of Three Worlds
Reply #47 on: March 12, 2019, 02:39:36 PM
The first pages of this thread were fun to read again.

Haha, not as much for me. I needed to calm the fuck down.

eward

Reply #48 on: March 12, 2019, 02:48:09 PM
It is rarely, if ever, advisable for one to go digging through old posts.
The face in the misty light...

Gold Trumpet

• The Master of Three Worlds
Reply #49 on: March 12, 2019, 05:45:15 PM
Getting back to Scorsese, he's found more willingness to let his films breathe in the last 10 years. Silence could have been slimmed down and Wolf of Wall Street really should have had an editor focused more on trimming. Now, I don't mind he didn't (Wolf is hilarious and crazy all the way through). I imagine Netflix will allow his Scorsese's first cut on The Irishman to be his only cut if he wants it to be.

The question I have, sorta off topic, why can't he revisit Gangs of New York and re-edit that film to make it longer? It is the one film of his that really needs to be fleshed out more (and critics who have seen longer cuts say it is much better).

Fuzzy Dunlop

• The Vision Quest
Reply #50 on: March 12, 2019, 10:31:12 PM
The question I have, sorta off topic, why can't he revisit Gangs of New York and re-edit that film to make it longer? It is the one film of his that really needs to be fleshed out more (and critics who have seen longer cuts say it is much better).

Maybe a rights issue? Harvey was the one that took the scissors to it in the first place if memory serves. I'm guessing a longer cut does exist but I don't see anyone in the business of re-releasing old Weinstein stuff these days.

Would be cool to have a Criterion extended cut, maybe a version where someone loops over all of Cameron Diaz's dialogue. 

eward

Reply #52 on: July 31, 2019, 07:22:04 AM
Yep this looks awesome

Drenk

Reply #53 on: July 31, 2019, 08:31:58 AM
Baaaaad trailer for such an hyped project. It looks generic as hell. Like some "prestige" TV series trying to imitate Scorsese.

Do they need the Netflix logo? It highens the direct to streaming feel of it all. They didn't add it to the trailer for Roma. EDIT: No logo on YouTube, cool. I watched it on Twitter.
I'm so many people.

Shughes

• The Road of Trials
    • Shaun Hughes Film
Reply #54 on: July 31, 2019, 10:01:01 AM
This looks ok. But as predicted the de-ageing is distracting as hell. I hope the story is strong enough that this feeling fades away whist watching.

There's nothing more interesting than human expressions, and they can't (successfully) be manipulated by VFX in my opinion. I doubt the effort will even be appreciated in the age of Deepfake. If you have to spend millions on this process then you've cast the wrong actor. If you need an actor to play ages ranging from younger to older aim for the middle and use make up and performance to age/de-age.

Also if the VFX look bad on a laptop screen the problem is only going to be (literally) magnified on the big screen. So maybe Netflix is the right home for this after all.

I know I sound negative but I'm rooting for this film to be a success. Early signs don't look good though.

eward

Reply #55 on: July 31, 2019, 10:06:03 AM
Yeah Deniro's eyes look especially weird in that one reveal shot. We'll see how that all works out. Otherwise though, I find this trailer pretty diggable.

wilberfan

• The Magic Flight
Reply #56 on: July 31, 2019, 10:18:42 AM
I'm gonna try dialing down my anticipation for this one.  I've been burned recently.   :yabbse-wink:
"Trying to fit in since 2017."

Drenk

Reply #57 on: July 31, 2019, 10:41:26 AM
"The best special effect is a special effect on the face of an actor." Paul Thomas Anderson
I'm so many people.

Something Spanish

• The Meeting with the Goddess
Reply #58 on: July 31, 2019, 11:28:14 AM
fuck this looks incredible, now I have a new movie to obsess about post OUATIH