XIXAX Film Forum

I Heard You Paint Houses/ The Irishman

MacGuffin · 51 · 18105

©brad

• Admin
Reply #45 on: March 08, 2019, 07:53:23 PM
Nicely done.  Hope the film is as good as this teaser.

If I ran things all trailers would be this simple -  just text and VO and nothing else.

Drenk

• The Master of Two Worlds
Reply #46 on: March 09, 2019, 06:41:45 AM
The first pages of this thread were fun to read again.

An answer to eward:

Personally, I think it will be really disappointing; I'm not familiar with the source material but I wonder why Scorsese wants to tell this story, why he needs that much money, and I don't think that it will be a hit. Can a Netflix movie be a hit? I don't even know. Why bother? They needs subscriptions and we'll never know how many people or money it will really make—this is abstract and can, therefore, make that kind of movie possible, but I'm worried that it doesn't also affect their existence. Netflix movies wither away more easily than other movies.

I'm curious as hell, though. Silence wasn't the disaster I expected like most of the "dream projects" are (remember Don Quixote by Gilliam? it was in cinemas in France for a week or two, people've seen it and all) but it was also not as strong as it should have been—as if, yes, it was too late. That director. That cast. That release. It will probably be spectral once the Oscar campaign is done. Or it will be halfway there? à la BlacKkKlansman?
I'm so many people.

Gold Trumpet

• The Master of Three Worlds
Reply #47 on: March 12, 2019, 02:39:36 PM
The first pages of this thread were fun to read again.

Haha, not as much for me. I needed to calm the fuck down.

eward

• The Master of Two Worlds
Reply #48 on: March 12, 2019, 02:48:09 PM
It is rarely, if ever, advisable for one to go digging through old posts.
"Do you laugh at jealousy?"

"No, I don't even laugh at seasickness! I happen to regard jealousy as the seasickness of passion."

Gold Trumpet

• The Master of Three Worlds
Reply #49 on: March 12, 2019, 05:45:15 PM
Getting back to Scorsese, he's found more willingness to let his films breathe in the last 10 years. Silence could have been slimmed down and Wolf of Wall Street really should have had an editor focused more on trimming. Now, I don't mind he didn't (Wolf is hilarious and crazy all the way through). I imagine Netflix will allow his Scorsese's first cut on The Irishman to be his only cut if he wants it to be.

The question I have, sorta off topic, why can't he revisit Gangs of New York and re-edit that film to make it longer? It is the one film of his that really needs to be fleshed out more (and critics who have seen longer cuts say it is much better).

Fuzzy Dunlop

• The Vision Quest
Reply #50 on: March 12, 2019, 10:31:12 PM
The question I have, sorta off topic, why can't he revisit Gangs of New York and re-edit that film to make it longer? It is the one film of his that really needs to be fleshed out more (and critics who have seen longer cuts say it is much better).

Maybe a rights issue? Harvey was the one that took the scissors to it in the first place if memory serves. I'm guessing a longer cut does exist but I don't see anyone in the business of re-releasing old Weinstein stuff these days.

Would be cool to have a Criterion extended cut, maybe a version where someone loops over all of Cameron Diaz's dialogue.