Author Topic: The Brothers Bloom  (Read 6171 times)

Gamblour.

• The Master of Two Worlds
  • Respect: +12
Re: The Brothers Bloom
« Reply #45 on: July 10, 2009, 10:03:13 AM »
Saw the very final screening of this here and I'm glad I did. The script is the definite source of any problems here, and for me it wasn't even a big deal. The beginning was a bit longer than necessary and the end was too slow. If it was just tightened up a bit, I would have no complaints, and it probably would've benefited the film as a whole to have a quicker pace. The actors here (except Ruffalo, wasn't too fond of him here, which never happens) are exceptional and it's great to watch. Johnson peppers in a lot of funny moments that I didn't expect and made me laugh a lot.

I enjoyed watching it more than I enjoy thinking about it. The film is a lot of fun, one of my favorites from this year for sure.
WWPTAD?

depooter

• The Vision Quest
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #46 on: July 15, 2009, 07:16:53 PM »
Saw this twice and thought it was even better the 2nd time around..can't wait for the Blu-ray.

Greg
www.pixartalk.com

Kal

• Success is not a goal, it's a byproduct.
  • Respect: +190
« Reply #47 on: November 15, 2009, 12:40:26 AM »
This film is shit, come on people. What a disappointment.

pete

• freakin huge
  • Respect: +397
    • my site
« Reply #48 on: November 15, 2009, 01:22:41 PM »
I agree and I miss ya Kal.
“Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot.”
- Buster Keaton

wilberfan

• The Meeting with the Goddess
  • Respect: +123
« Reply #49 on: December 15, 2017, 02:43:32 PM »
‘THE BROTHERS BLOOM’: THE WRONG TIME FOR A GREAT FILM

https://filmschoolrejects.com/the-brothers-bloom-revisited/

Nothing reminds us of the subjective power of film than an attempt to rank the works of an individual filmmaker. For example, I’ve made no secret of my preference for Paul Thomas Anderson’s early work over his recent string of films; while most people gravitate towards There Will Be Blood and The Master, I find myself responding to the emotional bravado of Anderson’s earliest work more than his more austere exercises in filmmaking. That discrepancy, however, pales in comparison to my disconnect with most film critics on the work of Rian Johnson. While we can all agree that Brick is an impressive piece of film literacy made flesh, it is my love of The Brothers Bloom – and slight distaste towards Looper, Johnson’s most recent pre-Star Wars: The Last Jedi release – that shows how wildly our views can vary person-to-person. For my money, The Brothers Bloom is not only a film deserving of serious consideration; it may also bear the burden of being my favorite film directed by Johnson, period.
"There's shadows in life, baby."

DMCA & Copyright | Terms & Conditions | Privacy Policy