Author Topic: Other actors/directors/etc. who mention PTA  (Read 52196 times)

eward

• The Master of Two Worlds
  • Respect: +210
Re: Other actors/directors/etc. who mention PTA
« Reply #210 on: November 04, 2018, 06:53:31 AM »
+3
Awards buzz is icing for John Krasinski and 'A Quiet Place'

Critics loved its high concept thrills, too, and while many have offered their praise, a certain phone call stands out for Krasinski — the one he got from his favorite director, and friend, Paul Thomas Anderson.

“It was probably 30 minutes long about how much he loved the movie and how much it meant to him and how much he wished movies like this happened every Friday. I genuinely blacked out on that phone call,” Krasinski said. “He said, ‘I’ll tell you the best compliment I can give you: As I was walking back to my car I thought, OK, I need to get back to work.’”

Anderson actually provided some inspiration for “A Quiet Place.” Krasinski said he studied the opening of “There Will Be Blood” and other modern films that employ silence to figure out how he would approach it in his film. He also looked at “Jaws,” ‘’Rosemary’s Baby” the films of Alfred Hitchcock for ideas in tension-building.
Source

Ew.
"Do you laugh at jealousy?"

"No, I don't even laugh at seasickness! I happen to regard jealousy as the seasickness of passion."

jenkins

• Respect: +1706
« Reply #211 on: November 05, 2018, 04:56:00 PM »
PTA got a special thanks in the end credits for Luca Guadagnino's Suspiria.

First billed special thanks, too!

i was like, "huh, everyone's noticing that, interesting," but now i'm like "oh okay i get it"

BigSock

• The Vision Quest
  • Respect: +35
« Reply #212 on: November 12, 2018, 07:10:09 PM »
+1
PTA moderated a DGA screening for If Beale Street Could Talk

“I’m jealous of your close ups.” -Paul Thomas Anderson to Barry Jenkins. Another amazing film from one of my favorite auteurs. To think both Moonlight and If…
https://twitter.com/YourFavN8Hapke/status/1061813279671103488

https://www.instagram.com/p/BqEGoWWHzFtAvbyJ7FnCedk3hb3h5Mb44VXpJM0/?utm_source=ig_twitter_share&igshid=1fkeb49w8leqh

eward

• Respect: +210
« Reply #213 on: November 12, 2018, 09:59:21 PM »
+1
Moonlight was okay.
"Do you laugh at jealousy?"

"No, I don't even laugh at seasickness! I happen to regard jealousy as the seasickness of passion."

jenkins

• Respect: +1706
« Reply #214 on: November 12, 2018, 10:23:47 PM »
It’s cinephilia that’s being celebrated

BigSock

• The Vision Quest
  • Respect: +35
« Reply #215 on: November 14, 2018, 07:29:43 PM »
Paul Thomas Anderson is hosting an awards season screening of "A Quiet Place." Fascinating.

https://twitter.com/kristapley/status/1062878949070405632

wilberfan

• The Ultimate Boon
  • Respect: +225
« Reply #216 on: Yesterday at 05:07:52 PM »
+4
Steven Brill (director, Adam Sandler One Hundred Percent Fresh concert film) on getting PTA to DP one of Sandler's L.A. nights.

Brill: I met Paul back when we were shooting Little Nicky in … what was it, 1999? We were shooting at Paramount and Adam said, “Oh, that guy who did Boogie Nights is coming over. He wants to talk to me about some movie, and he’s a big fan of yours.” I’m like, “What?! The guy who did Boogie Nights is a fan of mine? From what, Heavyweights?” And Adam says, “Yeah, Heavyweights.” I thought, “Okay, whatever,” but then Paul shows up and says, “Man, I loved Heavyweights,” and I was like, “Oh my God, this is the coolest thing ever.” Because even then, when he had only done Hard Eight and Boogie Nights, everyone knew this was the guy. Great filmmaker. He showed up at Little Nicky and hung out, and he and Adam became friends and did Punch-Drunk Love and stayed friends.

Paul loves comedy and he loves music, and he’s sneakily shooting little music things all the time. When we started working on the special, Phantom Thread came out, and there is nothing more exciting to me than a new PTA movie. Even though I know him and am friends with him, I’m still in awe of him, I’m still more a fan than anything else. With Phantom Thread I felt like he had taken it to a whole other level, and the fact that he was his own director of photography got me thinking maybe I could get him to shoot for me. Not the whole special, I knew he wouldn’t do that, but maybe a night at Largo. He showed up there one night when Sandler was performing and I just threw it out there: “Hey Paul, how would you like to shoot a night?” His eyes sort of lit up, which was the first good sign. Then he goes, “Film?” And I go, “Yeah, film.” I joked, “Think about it, we could get you a good day rate out of this,” and he laughed and thought about it. And then I just kept pressuring him. We went out on tour, we came back. I told him we had these nights at Largo, though ultimately that didn’t work out because of the fire marshals — it’s a boxy theater without enough exits and stuff. But I thought, maybe if we find another place I can get him involved. I would email him places in the Valley that I knew he knew as a kid, then finally I just said, “How about we find a rock and roll place in Hollywood, like the Troubadour, and just make it look as cool as we can?”

We came upon the El Rey, which is a rock club but it’s also an old theater, an old movie house. It had everything we needed for shooting, and Paul finally said yes and we got every person who could load film that was available — we had six film crews around each camera, loading ten-minute mags. We didn’t stop, we just staggered the cameras and shot 80,000 feet of film. We had a day of prep and a day of shooting, and it was an absolute blast. It was the only night we shot on film and it cost more than the rest of the special, but it was worth it. It was an indulgence, I guess, but it looked gorgeous and we got some of those Paul Thomas Anderson wide-angle straight-in moves. He wanted to push in on Adam from the center of the theatre, which normally you can’t do because there’s no aisle directly in the middle of any venue. But in this place we were able to create the pit and the aisle and put a dolly in there. We did a tech rehearsal day with Adam that’s actually in the movie; it’s the first thing we open on, a camera test with Paul operating the dolly.

Source
"Trying to fit in since 2017."

DMCA & Copyright | Terms & Conditions | Privacy Policy