MacGuffin

Scanned the PTA article from the Nov. - Jan. issue of Mean Magazine:

**READ AT OWN RISK**

Page 1

Page 2

Page 3

Page 4

Page 5
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

ElPandaRoyal

This was sweet. Paul must be a really great guy to hang out with. I mean, he loves "Grindhouse" (specially Tarantino's part), "The Big Lebowski" and has seen "Bad Santa" 20 times. How cooler could it get?  :bravo:
Si

modage

i think you're being sarcastic, and if you're not, you should be.  those are the asshole movies, right?
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Pubrick

geez mac, that's really nice of the ppl at the news stand to let you borrow it long enuff so you could scan it.

for reference: pages 2 and 4 are pics and contain no spoilers. unless you don't wanna know what pta looks like now. (a bum)

some weird answers in there. he avoids the magnolia question, of course, but when he's asked "how have you dealt with the pressure of being called the new orson welles? did the scrutiny and added expectations that came with early success impact your creativity?" he answers: "i was just starting to feel good about this interview, let's move onto the next question." haha what the hell is that?

oh yeah, elpanda, he loves QT cos they're friends. he wouldn't say anything bad about him. in fact he's been known to praise shitty films just cos his friends made it or loves the actors in it, see: Melvin and Howard.
under the paving stones.

hedwig

"i was just starting to feel good about this interview, let's move onto the shoe questions."

w/o horse

Quote from: Pubrick on November 20, 2007, 06:16:51 PM
in fact he's been known to praise shitty films just cos his friends made it or loves the actors in it, see: Melvin and Howard.

Melvin and Howard is a movie I've watched ten or so times and would be still amazed by its grace if I watched it tomorrow.  It's the least pretentious and self-gratifying film to capture the compelling diversity of ordinary existence that's come from America that I can name (aside from the Howard Hughes element, which hardly even seems exceptional here next to the humility and naturalness of its central characters).  It's absolutely perfectly balanced and Demme isn't the only reason, but it's a huge compliment to Demme that he executed the script the way he did.  I really think that Bo Goldman, based off of this and One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest alone, is an incredibly talented writer.  And I think that you can prove that by comparing his Cuckoo's Nest script to Ken Kesey's novel.  If the novel deserves the credit it receives, if Kesey deserves the credit he receives, then Bo (because William Goldman is also terrific) deserves to be congratulated on improving the credibility of the lunatic asylum story.  Where Kesey reaches too far Bo remains patient.  The story the attitude and and the message are all Kesey's but Bo made the characters better and more believable.  This quality it shares with Melvin and Howard.
Raven haired Linda and her school mate Linnea are studying after school, when their desires take over and they kiss and strip off their clothes. They take turns fingering and licking one another's trimmed pussies on the desks, then fuck each other to intense orgasms with colorful vibrators.

MacGuffin

geez mac, that's really nice of the ppl at the news stand to let you borrow it long enuff so you could scan it.

After I told 'em how many places I went to to finally find it, they just gave it to me.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

matt35mm

Quote from: MacGuffin on November 20, 2007, 07:58:13 PM

After I told 'em how many places I went to to finally find it, they just gave it to me.

Standard Albertson's policy.

Pubrick

Quote from: w/o horse on November 20, 2007, 07:47:47 PM
Melvin and Howard is a movie I've watched ten or so times and would be still amazed by its grace if I watched it tomorrow.  It's the least pretentious and self-gratifying film to capture the compelling diversity of ordinary existence that's come from America that I can name (aside from the Howard Hughes element, which hardly even seems exceptional here next to the humility and naturalness of its central characters).  It's absolutely perfectly balanced and Demme isn't the only reason, but it's a huge compliment to Demme that he executed the script the way he did.  I really think that Bo Goldman, based off of this and One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest alone, is an incredibly talented writer.  And I think that you can prove that by comparing his Cuckoo's Nest script to Ken Kesey's novel.  If the novel deserves the credit it receives, if Kesey deserves the credit he receives, then Bo (because William Goldman is also terrific) deserves to be congratulated on improving the credibility of the lunatic asylum story.  Where Kesey reaches too far Bo remains patient.  The story the attitude and and the message are all Kesey's but Bo made the characters better and more believable.  This quality it shares with Melvin and Howard.

yeah, i only seen it once 4 years ago, around the time everything pta touched was being overrated.

i'll prolly revisit it, cos you were right about The Persecution and Assassination of Jean-Paul Marat as Performed by the Inmates of the Asylum of Charenton Under the Direction of the Marquis de Sade.
under the paving stones.

Stefen

4 years ago? He's been overrating that one as far back as 1999.

The only movie he got me with was 'Camp.' He was even going to do a commentary for it. He doesn't even do commentaries for his own last 2 movies.

Damn you PTA!
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Pubrick

Quote from: Stefen on November 20, 2007, 10:20:28 PM
4 years ago? He's been overrating that one as far back as 1999.

that's true, but the period i was referring to was when PDL came out. when even his own film was being overrated.
under the paving stones.

ElPandaRoyal

Quote from: modage on November 20, 2007, 05:56:39 PM
i think you're being sarcastic, and if you're not, you should be.  those are the asshole movies, right?

I wasn't, I love those movies to death. But then again, I'm sort of an asshole, so I don't know...

Quote from: Pubrickoh yeah, elpanda, he loves QT cos they're friends. he wouldn't say anything bad about him. in fact he's been known to praise shitty films just cos his friends made it or loves the actors in it, see: Melvin and Howard.

I love QT and I'm not a friend of his. It's just that he's too damn sexy his movies rock!
Si

idk

After seeing the movie the cover to that magazine is pretty funny

The bit where PTA declines to answer that one question reminded me of this funny/awkward