Random DVD and Blu-ray announcements

Started by wilder, November 01, 2011, 01:54:56 AM

jenkins

Quote from: wilderesque on July 03, 2013, 03:13:09 PM
July 23, 2013

Walter Hill's The Driver (1978) from Twilight Time - Limited Edition of 3,000 copies

The Driver (1978) - Screen Archives

movie buyers questioned "why the limited edition stuff twilight?" and the answer i heard was that it's a stipulation from the production companies, because their goals are streamline centered

an article would would be a helpful reference. used google and first found ebert:
http://www.rogerebert.com/rogers-journal/movies-dont-stream-themselves
QuoteAnd an enterprising company named Twilight Time buys the rights to publish 3,000 copies of unavailable titles ("When they're gone, they're gone!"). Many studios just aren't interested in those kinds of DVD sales

it ups the prices and reduces the possibilities, but it's all they're allowed. i get the wonder. they're too expensive for me :(

the driver is a movie classic. its screenplay is a movie classic -- walter hill wrote it in a prose fashion that's irregular for its genre. through the script alone, you get the tone of the movie. he called it. you can read the script at the academy library (yeahyeah, you can read it online too, i bet) and it's #2 on a list of screenplays that people i know have visited the library to read. #1 is a long tie for any kubrick script, as you probably would have guessed

wilder

Masters of Cinema - August 2103

Michelangelo Antonioni's La Notte (1961)

Antonio Campos' Simon Killer (2012)

Douglas Sirk's The Tarnished Angels (1957)

Masters of Cinema - September 2013

Federico Fellini's Il Bidone (1955)

Douglas Sirk's A Time to Love and a Time to Die (1958)

Maurice Pialat's Van Gogh (1991)

The Perineum Falcon

Beautiful covers! Eureka puts out beautiful editions of all their films, I just wish more were region free.
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

wilder

October 28, 2013

-Funny Games U.S. (2007) from Artificial Eye on blu-ray

-The Definitive Michael Haneke (Released on DVD only) from Artificial Eye. This 13-DVD box set will include Funny Games US, Amour and Michael H: Profession Director. Artificial Eye will also try to bring a Blu-ray version of it in 2014 after high-definition transfers are available for all films.

wilder

November 5, 2013

William Wyler's The Best Years of Our Lives (1946) from Warner Bros.

wilder

Q4 2013 TBD

F.W. Murnau's Nosferatu (1922), Orson Welles' The Trial (1962), and Alexander Sokurov's Russian Arc (2002) coming to blu-ray from Kino

wilder

There's a new exploitation distribution label called Vinegar Syndrome that seems pretty fucking awesome. They've only had a few releases so far. Some below. More to come. These trailers are worth watching.

Now Available

The Telephone Book (1971)

The Telephone Book (1971) - ImportCDs

A major, though forgotten, work from New York's underground film scene of the late 60s and early 70s, Nelson Lyon's The Telephone Book tells the story of Alice, a sex-obsessed hippie who falls in love with the world's greatest obscene phone caller and embarks on a quest to find him. Her journey introduces her to an avant-garde stag filmmaker, a manipulative psychiatrist, a lesbian housewife, and more. Photographed in high-contrast black-and-white, and punctuated with a remarkable, surreal color animated sequence, The Telephone Book is one of the greatest cult films you've probably never heard of.

Punk Vacation (1987)

Punk Vacation (1987) - ImportCDs

A peaceful California town is shaken after the brutal murder of diner owner by a gang of vicious punks. When the daughter of the slain man attempts to avenge her father's death, she's held hostage by the gang resulting in an epic battle between punks and rednecks.

The Lost Films of Herschell Gordon Lewis (1969-1971)

The Lost Films of Herschell Gordon Lewis (1969-1971)- ImportCDs

Massage Parlor Murders (1972)

Massage Parlor Murders (1972) - ImportCDs

A vicious serial killer is stalking the streets of New York City, murdering Times Square massage girls in a variety of brutal ways. It's up to a rogue detective team to solve the case as the body count continues to rise! Chock full of over the top sex and violence and complete with a high speed car chase through Manhattan, MASSAGE PARLOR MURDERS is an exploitation film lover's dream movie.

August 13, 2013

Good Luck Miss Wyckoff (1979)

Good Luck Miss Wyckoff (1979) - ImportCDs

Set in the small town of Freedom, Kansas in 1954, GOOD LUCK, MISS WYCKOFF stars Anne Heywood as Evelyn Wyckoff, a virginal high-school teacher who learns that she has started early menopause. Feeling hopeless and isolated, she is advised by her doctor (Robert Vaughn) and psychiatrist (Donald Pleasance) to find a lover, which results in a series of brutal and horrifying events.

Based on a novel by Pulitzer Prize winning playwright William Inge (Picnic, Splendor in the Grass), GOOD LUCK, MISS WYCKOFF is a haunting story of ill-fated lust and sexual repression set against a backdrop of American racism.

September 10, 2013

The Doll Squad (1973) and Mission: Killfast (1991)

Also check out their DVD catalog

wilder

September 24, 2013

Joseph H. Lewis' The Big Combo (1955) from Olive Films

The Big Combo (1955) - Amazon

Pubrick

so.. should i buy all of these?

mostly i'm just compiling a list of interesting forgotten movies to pirate.
under the paving stones.

wilder

Do you have a region-free blu-ray player?

I'd recommend almost anything released by Masters of Cinema -- the team behind those releases seem to have more focused tastes than Criterion, and put out a similar level product. I continue updating this thread just to keep track of interesting classic releases that would otherwise disappear into the internet ether or to highlight obscure releases I think deserve more attention. As I said a few posts back, the Rollins are an acquired taste. The Big Combo is a prime example of noir cinematography, shot by John Alton, who wrote the seminal cinematography book Painting with Light. Most of the titles I post in here are put out by boutique labels that rely on making every sale they can garner to stay alive. I understand the hesitancy to blind buy anything you haven't seen, but if you sample something in this thread and dig it, consider purchasing. Especially from an outfit like Vinegar Syndrome that is run by two guys. There are tons of movies I still want HD transfers of. I figure if these labels don't see a profit, HD transfers of the remaining films I'm hoping for will mostly never come to light.

The Pialat releases I'd definitely recommend, especially if you like Cassavetes. Those directors are related to each other a lot, and while they're not really the same, Pialat movies exhibit a similarly elite level of acting that, in the realm of naturalism, isn't really equalled by anyone but the Dardennes in my opinion. I find the Dardennes Bros. movies kind of general though in comparison to stuff by Pialat, who is more specifically focused on emotionally violent relationships between families and lovers.

Check DVDBeaver and Blu-ray.com for reviews. The Olive transfers can be all over the place, but I imagine they'll put some effort into something like The Big Combo. I list the director alongside most of these titles. Figure everyone here has their own leanings. Go by that I guess.

wilder

Raro Acquires Bernardo Bertolucci's The Conformist
via blu-ray.com

Raro Video U.S. announced today that it has acquired the distribution rights to renowned Italian director Bernardo Bertolucci's Il conformista a.k.a The Conformist (1970), starring Jean-Louis Trintignant, Stefania Sandrelli, Dominique Sanda, and Pierre Clémenti. The label also revealed that it plans to bring the film to Blu-ray later this year.

Bertolucci's visually electrifying masterpiece tells the story of 30-year-old Italian Marcello (Trintignant), who's targeted by a Fascist espionage organization to lead a deadly mission in France. On his journey, Marcello, with his naive wife Giulia (Sandrelli), will see his troubled past and current moral dilemma violently collide. Bertolucci's masterful direction and his Oscar-nominated screenplay are complemented by Vittorio Storaro's stunning cinematography.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm assuming everyone is familiar with this movie, but if you aren't...

^there's a bullshit track over that clip but it features a wide variety of shots from the film

wilder

Stoked on these screencaps from the blu-ray release of Niagara (1953). Click for full size.

and Bus Stop (1956)

wilder

October 1, 2013

US release of From Here to Eternity (1953) from Sony

From Here to Eternity (1953) - Amazon

wilder

Quote from: Pubrick on June 06, 2013, 06:27:59 PM
Quote from: wilderesque on June 06, 2013, 02:11:06 PM
September 17, 2013

Jean-Pierre Melville's Two Men in Manhattan (1959) on blu-ray from Cohen Film

No anecdote for that one?

Jean-Pierre Melville's only film shot in the USA

...and the Betty Blue score just for the hell of it, because nothing destroys me quite like the first track.

wilder

October 15, 2013

Ida Lupino's The Hitch-hiker (1953) on blu-ray from Kino

The Hitch-hiker (1953) - Amazon

Orson Welles' The Stranger (1946) on blu-ray from Kino

The Stranger (1946) - Amazon

Curtis Harrington's Night Tide (1961) on blu-ray from Kino Redemption

Night Tide (1961) - Amazon