The thread where you embarass yourself with movies you've never seen

Started by Pas, April 28, 2010, 12:17:01 PM

cine

i think posting here should be a prerequisite to being an official member of the board. saves a lot of time in our lives, fight-wise.

get your ban hammers ready: last week was the first time i ever watched Back to the Future.

polkablues

It makes me feel so much better about myself to know there are people out there who haven't even seen Star Wars, Indiana Jones, or Back to the Future.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Gold Trumpet

OK,

Ben Hur
The Bridge on the River Kwai - A gf used to bug me about this a lot
Titanic (until last month, actually liked movie a lot)
The Magnificent Ambersons - had a chance a few nights ago on TCM, but ran away when I saw print quality.
Sunrise - Own DVD and haven't watched more than twenty minutes of it. Bought a box set even to get the film.
Z - Called one of the best political films ever, own the DVD, sounds right up my alley, but naw. Actually, I'm moving out of my apartment this week and it's one of the few DVDs still left at my place so I planned to watch it before leaving. Still do.
Heaven and Earth - My only Stone shame.
Salvador - Seen parts of it for a while, but finally watched all of it a few weeks ago. Glad I did because it rocketed up as an immediate favorite Stone film, but felt bad I hadn't seen it for so long. Since it's so good, I also have been in time out from applauding it for a while. I can't come off as anything but a newbie to its charm.

Ravi

Fight Club
The 400 Blows - Bought the Blu-ray on sale, but I don't have a Blu-ray player.  The only Truffaut films I've seen are Jules and Jim and Day for Night.
Birth of a Nation - Tried to watch this once in high school or college, but I turned it off after about an hour
Batman (1989)
Barton Fink
Hudsucker Proxy
Raising Arizona
The Last Laugh
Grand Illusion
Anything by John Woo that isn't Broken Arrow, which I've seen far too many times
Anything by John Cassavetes

Bethie

I have never seen any Kurosawa films.

..and I've never ever seen The Big Lebowski, or whatever its called.
who likes movies anyway

Pas

Second part of the thread recap here... most weirdly unseen stuff by Xixaxers:

#3 : Nobody's seen Gone with the Wind apparently.
#2 : Anything by John Cassavetes came up a lot. Way too much considering he's pretty basic film-buff material. Any mid-level hipster will own you if he finds this out.
#1 : Anything by Kurosawa came up way, wayyy, too often. Some others even named Seven Samurai, which was on the fucking Deka! I accuse you, losers who vote for films by looking at IMDB Top 250!

So many people never seeing any Kurosawa or Seven Samurai is just really weird since he's pretty early criterion material, and we're all criterion freaks here aren't we. And he's not boring or anything like Godard or Cassavetes­ so there's really no excuse there. His movies are easy to rent or download. The whole family can like them, pretty action packed stuff. If you like Clint Eastwood's best westerns (everyone) no reason not to like them.

I've seen seven of his, while I wasn't watching Pulp. Some redemption there, I guess.

socketlevel

the one last hit that spent you...

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Pas

Quote from: Pas Rap on April 30, 2010, 08:44:34 AM
#3 : Nobody's seen Gone with the Wind apparently. Many Xixaxers have expressed their shame in never having seen Gone With The Wind. Being the most profitable film in the history of cinema, with a time-adjusted box-office of $1,537,559,600 it is reasonable to make the hyperbole that "nobody" has seen Gone with the Wind since the ratio of "have not seen vs have seen" seems to be a lot higher on the website than in the general population.

There  :yabbse-angry: ( :yabbse-smiley:)

Gold Trumpet

I haven't seen Gone With the Wind, but I didn't want to list it because I have read the novel. I just have seen enough scenes and clips to not really feel I am missing out on anything so I don't care to even watch it.

Alexandro

Actually, Kurosawa is awesome but a lot of people, specially the hipsters, pretend to like him without really having seen much, sometimes their only experience being watching a couple of his films at the age of 15 or something. A lot of people consider him dense yet of course, he isn't. Seven Samurai and Rashomon particularly are so light and fun, but you can't approach a film ALREADY thinking it will be a core to sit trough. I guess having seen 7 Kurosawas really makes up for not seeing Pulp Fiction.

GT: Heaven & Earth is not too good, but it¡s worth it and damn, you're supposed to be in love with this guy. Sunrise is great too, just watched it like three months ago.

pete

I also have not seen a clockwork orange and apocalypse now.  and obviously not gone with the wind or lawrence of arabia.  no seventh seal or wild strawberries...but I'm assuming most people here haven't either?  also I've never seen the wizard of oz. and no westerns at all.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: Alexandro on April 30, 2010, 10:50:55 AM
GT: Heaven & Earth is not too good, but it¡s worth it and damn, you're supposed to be in love with this guy. Sunrise is great too, just watched it like three months ago.

Honestly, if I didn't own both films, I would have seen them already. Owning them makes it convenient to say, "Another day." I'll probably like Heaven and Earth more than you, but I'm in no rush. I always find myself happily going back to other films of his instead.

Pete, Seen all of your titles besides Gone With the Wind.

The Perineum Falcon

I'm actually a little embarassed cause I don't have a lengthy list of shamefully overlooked gems of cinema to share with you guys. Yeah, there are quite a number of films I haven't seen, but I can't think of one that would be particularly embarassing in the context of this place. (well, not after this thread :wink:)
You know that marquee "from film lover to film snob in 6 months"? Yeah, that was me 5 years ago when I found this place, and I'm quite proud of it. I guess it's because I've gone out of my way to see the films raved so much about here, and the directors sanctified.

I love yous guys, even for these tiny transgressions. Wish I could share more. :oops:
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.