The 2006 Awards Season Has Started!

Started by MacGuffin, November 29, 2005, 02:58:26 PM

Fernando

Winners of the 2005 Chicago Film Critics Awards.

BEST PICTURE: "Crash"

BEST FOREIGN-LANGUAGE FILM: "Cache" (Hidden)

BEST DIRECTOR: David Cronenberg-"A History of Violence"

BEST SCREENPLAY: Paul Haggis & Bobby Moresco-"Crash"

BEST ACTOR: Philip Seymour Hoffman-"Capote"

BEST ACTRESS: Joan Allen-"The Upside of Anger"

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR: Mickey Rourke-"Sin City"

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS: Maria Bello-"A History of Violence"

BEST DOCUMENTARY: "Grizzly Man"

BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY: Rodrigo Prieto-"Brokeback Mountain"

BEST ORIGINAL SCORE: Gustavo Santaolalla-"Brokeback Mountain"

MOST PROMISING PERFORMER: Miranda July-"Me and You and Everyone We Know"

MOST PROMISING DIRECTOR: Bennett Miller-"Capote"

Pozer

MacGuffin

'Star Wars' strikes back in US audience awards

The final installment of George Lucas' "Star Wars" movies series has struck back after being snubbed by Hollywood juries by winning top honours at the 2005 People's Choice Awards.

"Star Wars: Episode III -- Revenge of the Sith" picked up the favourite movie drama award at Tuesday night's populist honours that are decided by US audiences and not by juries made up of movie industry insiders.

Sandra Bullock and Johnny Depp won the titles of America's favourite movie stars, while "Legally Blonde" star Reese Witherspoon and heartthrob Brad Pitt picked up the favourite leading actors honours.

The awards were handed out at a glittering but relaxed ceremony in Los Angeles attended by a galaxy of top Hollywood cinema and television stars.

The awards for favourite action stars went to "Alias" actress Jennifer Garner and actor Matthew McConaughey, while stars Vince Vaughn and Owen Wilson were voted the favourite on-screen match-up in "Wedding Crashers," which also won the title of favourite movie comedy of 2005.

The People's Choice Awards were handed out as Hollywood's frenzied annual awards season shifts into top gear ahead of the announcement of the Oscar nominations on January 31.

The gay cowboy movie "Brokeback Mountain," starring Heath Ledger and Jake Gyllenhaal, is currently leading the race for honours this year, after winning seven Golden Globe nominations as well as topping the lists of nominees for the Screen Actors Guild and Directors' Guild awards.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Gamblour.

People are stupid. and it seems like the directors' awards are all over the map. Is this typical?
WWPTAD?

JG

Anybodyu else feel that Brokeback Mountain is a lock for the academy awards?

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: JimmyGator on January 11, 2006, 09:07:54 PM

yeah, i'm sure it will...i havent seen it and i dont care to..i am sure it is a great film...but i doubt that the film comes close to the ice storm...thats such a beautiful film...gots such a great aura about it..must the music and ice........

i cant believe the new world hasnt been well received...besides a cinematography and a pochohantus nod...thats it..i guess....im convinced that he new world is the greatest thing this year..it has to be...

RegularKarate

Brokeback Mountain  is a lock
Quote from: pyramid machine on January 11, 2006, 09:19:56 PM
yeah, i'm sure it will...i havent seen it and i dont care to..
Quote from: RegularKarate on January 11, 2006, 09:16:22 PM
oh surprise surprise, Neon is uneasy about non-white-male-on-top-of-white-female-in-standard-christian-married-missionary-position sex.

JG

Quote from: pyramid machine on January 11, 2006, 09:19:56 PM

yeah, i'm sure it will...i havent seen it and i dont care to..i am sure it is a great film...but i doubt that the film comes close to the ice storm...thats such a beautiful film...gots such a great aura about it..must the music and ice........

i cant believe the new world hasnt been well received...besides a cinematography and a pochohantus nod...thats it..i guess....im convinced that he new world is the greatest thing this year..it has to be...

I have seen it and while it's no Ice Storm (that's one of my favorite movies) it has the ability, much like the Ice Storm, to stick with you long after you have left the theatre.  go see it.  you'll like it. 

Reinhold

Quote from: Fernando on December 12, 2005, 09:31:55 AM
Quote from: andyk on December 12, 2005, 09:03:08 AM
AFI AWARDS 2005

The 10 TV programs are: "24," "Battlestar Galactica," "Deadwood," "Grey's Anatomy," "House," "Lost," "Rescue Me," "Sleeper Cell," "Sometimes in April" and "Veronica Mars."

No Six Feet Under????? These ppl have no memory.

deadwood is on there. i think the past season of deadwood was better than the last season of six feet under. i'm happy. i think lost is gonna get it, though. you?

hasn't six feet under pick up some awards in past years anyway?
Quote from: Pas Rap on April 23, 2010, 07:29:06 AM
Obviously what you are doing right now is called (in my upcoming book of psychology at least) validation. I think it's a normal thing to do. People will reply, say anything, and then you're gonna do what you were subconsciently thinking of doing all along.

Fernando

BAFTAS 2005 NOMINATIONS.

FILM

BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN - Diana Ossana/James Schamus
CAPOTE - Caroline Baron/William Vince/Michael Ohoven
THE CONSTANT GARDENER - Simon Channing Williams
CRASH - Credits TBC
GOOD NIGHT, AND GOOD LUCK - Grant Heslov

THE ALEXANDER KORDA AWARD for the Outstanding British Film of the Year

A COCK & BULL STORY - Andrew Eaton/Michael Winterbottom/Martin Hardy
THE CONSTANT GARDENER - Simon Channing Williams/Fernando Meirelles/Jeffrey Caine
FESTIVAL - Christopher Young/Annie Griffin
PRIDE & PREJUDICE - Tim Bevan/Eric Fellner/Paul Webster/Joe Wright/Deborah Moggach
WALLACE & GROMIT: THE CURSE OF THE WERE-RABBIT - Peter Lord/David Sproxton/Nick Park/
Steve Box/Mark Burton/Bob Baker

THE CARL FOREMAN AWARD for Special Achievement by a British Director, Writer or Producer in their First Feature Film

DAVID BELTON (Producer) - Shooting Dogs
PETER FUDAKOWSKI (Producer) - Tsotsi
ANNIE GRIFFIN (Director/Writer) - Festival
RICHARD HAWKINS (Director) - Everything
JOE WRIGHT (Director) - Pride & Prejudice

THE DAVID LEAN AWARD for Achievement in Direction

BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN - Ang Lee
CAPOTE - Bennett Miller
THE CONSTANT GARDENER - Fernando Meirelles
CRASH - Paul Haggis
GOOD NIGHT, AND GOOD LUCK - George Clooney

ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY

CINDERELLA MAN - Cliff Hollingsworth/Akiva Goldsman
CRASH - Paul Haggis/Bobby Moresco
GOOD NIGHT, AND GOOD LUCK - George Clooney/Grant Heslov
HOTEL RWANDA - Keir Pearson/Terry George
MRS. HENDERSON PRESENTS - Martin Sherman

ADAPTED SCREENPLAY

BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN - Larry McMurtry/Diana Ossana
CAPOTE - Dan Futterman
THE CONSTANT GARDENER - Jeffrey Caine
A HISTORY OF VIOLENCE - Josh Olson
PRIDE & PREJUDICE - Deborah Moggach

FILM NOT IN THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE

DE BATTRE MON COEUR S'EST ARRÊTÉ (The Beat That My Heart Skipped) - Pascal Caucheteux/Jacques Audiard
LE GRAND VOYAGE - Humbert Balsan/Ismaël Ferroukhi
KUNG FU HUSTLE - Stephen Chow/Chui Po Chu/Jeff Lau
JOYEUX NOËL (Merry Christmas) - Christophe Rossignon/Christian Carion
TSOTSI - Peter Fudakowski/Gavin Hood

ACTOR IN A LEADING ROLE

DAVID STRATHAIRN - Good Night, And Good Luck
HEATH LEDGER - Brokeback Mountain
JOAQUIN PHOENIX - Walk the Line
PHILIP SEYMOUR HOFFMAN - Capote
RALPH FIENNES - The Constant Gardener

ACTRESS IN A LEADING ROLE

CHARLIZE THERON - North Country
JUDI DENCH - Mrs. Henderson Presents
RACHEL WEISZ - The Constant Gardener
REESE WITHERSPOON - Walk the Line
ZIYI ZHANG - Memoirs of a Geisha

ACTOR IN A SUPPORTING ROLE

DON CHEADLE - Crash
GEORGE CLOONEY - Good Night, And Good Luck
GEORGE CLOONEY - Syriana
JAKE GYLLENHAAL - Brokeback Mountain
MATT DILLON - Crash

ACTRESS IN A SUPPORTING ROLE

BRENDA BLETHYN - Pride & Prejudice
CATHERINE KEENER - Capote
FRANCES McDORMAND - North Country
MICHELLE WILLIAMS - Brokeback Mountain
THANDIE NEWTON - Crash

THE ANTHONY ASQUITH AWARD for Achievement in Film Music

BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN - Gustavo Santaolalla
THE CONSTANT GARDENER - Alberto Iglesias
MEMOIRS OF A GEISHA - John Williams
MRS. HENDERSON PRESENTS - George Fenton
WALK THE LINE - T Bone Burnett

CINEMATOGRAPHY

BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN - Rodrigo Prieto
THE CONSTANT GARDENER - César Charlone
CRASH - J Michael Muro
MARCH OF THE PENGUINS - Laurent Chalet/Jerôme Maison
MEMOIRS OF A GEISHA - Dion Beebe

EDITING

BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN - Geraldine Peroni/Dylan Tichenor
THE CONSTANT GARDENER - Claire Simpson
CRASH - Hughes Winborne
GOOD NIGHT, AND GOOD LUCK - Stephen Mirrione
MARCH OF THE PENGUINS - Sabine Emiliani

PRODUCTION DESIGN

BATMAN BEGINS - Nathan Crowley
CHARLIE AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY - Alex McDowell
HARRY POTTER AND THE GOBLET OF FIRE - Stuart Craig
KING KONG - Grant Major
MEMOIRS OF A GEISHA - John Myhre

COSTUME DESIGN

CHARLIE AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY - Gabriella Pescucci
THE CHRONICLES OF NARNIA: THE LION, THE WITCH AND THE WARDROBE - Isis Mussenden
MEMOIRS OF A GEISHA - Colleen Atwood
MRS. HENDERSON PRESENTS - Sandy Powell
PRIDE & PREJUDICE - Jacqueline Durran

SOUND

BATMAN BEGINS - David G Evans/Stefan Henrix/Peter Lindsay
THE CONSTANT GARDENER - Joakim Sundström/Stuart Wilson
CRASH - Richard Van Dyke/Sandy Gendler
KING KONG - Hammond Peek/Christopher Boyes/Mike Hopkins/ Ethan Van der Ryn
WALK THE LINE - Paul Massey/D M Hemphill/Peter F Kurland/Donald Sylvester

ACHIEVEMENT IN SPECIAL VISUAL EFFECTS

BATMAN BEGINS - Janek Sirrs/Dan Glass/Chris Corbould
CHARLIE AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY - Nick Davis/Jon Thum/Chas Jarrett/Joss Williams
THE CHRONICLES OF NARNIA: THE LION, THE WITCH AND THE WARDROBE - Dean Wright/Bill Westenhofer/Jim Berney/Scott Farrar
HARRY POTTER AND THE GOBLET OF FIRE - Jim Mitchell/John Richardson
KING KONG - Joe Letteri/Christian Rivers/Brian Van't Hul/Richard Taylor

MAKE UP & HAIR

CHARLIE AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY - Peter Owen/Ivana Primorac
THE CHRONICLES OF NARNIA: THE LION, THE WITCH AND THE WARDROBE - Howard Berger/Gregory Nicotero/Nikki Gooley
HARRY POTTER AND THE GOBLET OF FIRE - Nick Dudman/Amanda Knight/Eithne Fennell
MEMOIRS OF A GEISHA - Noriko Watanabe/Kate Biscoe/Lyndell Quiyou/Kelvin R Trahan
PRIDE & PREJUDICE - Fae Hammond

SHORT ANIMATION FILM

FALLEN ART - Jarek Sawko/Piotr Sikora/Tomek Baginski
FILM NOIR - Osbert Parker
KAMIYA'S CORRESPONDENCE - Sumito Sakakibara
THE MYSTERIOUS GEOGRAPHIC EXPLORATIONS OF JASPER MORELLO - Anthony Lucas/Julia Lucas/Mark Shirrefs
RABBIT - Run Wrake

SHORT FILM

ANTONIO'S BREAKFAST - Howard Stogdon/Amber Templemore-Finlayson/Daniel Mulloy
CALL REGISTER - Kit Hawkins/Adam Tudhope/Ed Roe
HEAVY METAL DRUMMER - Amanda Boyle/Luke Morris/Toby MacDonald
HEYDAR, AN AFGHAN IN TEHRAN - Homayoun Assadian/Babak Jalali
LUCKY - Bex Hopkins/Avie Luthra

Redlum

Terrible.
A double Clooney support nom for GNGL role is not really award worthy, Syriana certainly is though, but for two films that havent even been released here. Then two crash nominations in the same catergory (Dillon is worthy but wheres the love for Factotum in the leading role, award?). Crash's dominance is extremely depressing, especially for best writing...Cheadle seems to have been at every ceremony since Oceans 11. Obligatory Dench nomination aswell as Brenda Blethyn. The only way this will be entertaining is if Clooney cleans up.
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

MacGuffin

'Brokeback's' Lee wins DGA Award

"Brokeback Mountain" director Ang Lee took the honor Saturday for best feature at the 58th annual DGA Awards in Los Angeles.

The DGA's feature award is considered a harbinger of the best director Academy Award because the DGA winner has gone on to win the Oscar in 51 of the past 57 years, including three of the four past years. In 2001, Lee won the DGA prize for "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" while Steven Soderbergh took home the directing Oscar for "Traffic."

Several honorary awards were also given out, including a Lifetime Achievement Award to Clint Eastwood. The award has only been given out 31 previous times, most recently to Mike Nichols in 2004.

The show was held at the Hyatt Regency Century Plaza Hotel in Los Angeles.

A complete list of winners follows.

Feature film: Ang Lee, "Brokeback Mountain."

Documentary: Werner Herzog, "Grizzly Man."

Movies for television: (tie) Joseph Sargent, "Warm Springs," HBO; George C. Wolfe, "Lackawanna Blues," HBO.

Reality television: (tie) Tony Croll, "Three Wishes," ABC; J. Rupert Thompson, "Fear Factor," NBC.

Daytime serials: Owen Renfroe, "General Hospital," ABC.

Dramatic series night: Michael Apted, "Rome," HBO.

Children's programs: Chris Eyre, "Edge of America," Showtime.

Musical variety: Matthew Diamond, "Swan Lake with American Ballet Theater," PBS.

Comedy series: Marc Buckland, "My Name is Earl," NBC.

Commercials: Craig Gillespie, MJZ.

Lifetime achievement award: Clint Eastwood.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Witherspoon, Hoffman, 'Crash' lead SAG nods

Reese Witherspoon as singer June Carter in "Walk the Line" and Philip Seymour Hoffman as author Truman Capote in "Capote" won lead-acting awards Sunday from the Screen Actors Guild, while the ensemble drama "Crash" pulled off an upset win over Brokeback Mountain" for the overall cast award.

Rachel Weisz of the murder thriller "The Constant Gardener" and Paul Giamatti of the boxing drama "Cinderella Man" received supporting-acting honors.

"Oh, my God, y'all. Sometimes, I can't just shake the feeling that I'm just a little girl from Tennessee," said Witherspoon, who plays Carter during her long, stormy courtship with country legend Johnny Cash. "I want to say my biggest inspiration for this movie obviously was June Carter. She was an incredible woman."

Hoffman, considered the favorite for the best-actor Oscar as Capote amid the author's struggles to research and write the true-crime novel "In Cold Blood," had gushing thanks for his "Capote" co-stars.

"It's important to say that actors can't act alone, it's impossible. What we have to do is support each other," Hoffman said. "Actors have to have each others' backs. It's the only way to act well is when you know the other actor has your back, and these actors had my back, and I hope they know I had theirs."

"Brokeback Mountain" has been considered the best-picture front-runner at the Oscars, whose nominations come out Tuesday, with awards presented March 5. Its loss to "Crash" could prove a speed-bump on the film's path toward becoming the first explicitly gay-themed movie to win a best picture award at the Oscars, but "Brokeback Mountain" has dominated earlier Hollywood honors so it will likely continue to be considered the favorite.

It led the Jan. 16 Golden Globes with four wins, among them best dramatic film and director for Ang Lee, who took the same prize Saturday from the Directors Guild of America.

Adapted from Annie Proulx's short story about old sheepherding buddies who conceal a homosexual affair from their families, "Brokeback Mountain" also has earned top honors from key critics groups and the Producers Guild of America.

Sean Hayes, won for best actor in a TV comedy for his role as a gay man in "Will & Grace," had a ready wisecrack about "Brokeback Mountain."

"First of all, I would like to thank Ang Lee for taking a chance on me," said Hayes, who is not in "Brokeback Mountain."

Last year, the wine-country romp "Sideways" won SAG's ensemble prize, while "Million Dollar Baby" went on to earn best-picture.

"Crash" follows the lives of a far-flung cast of characters over a chaotic 36-hour period in Los Angeles.

"This celebrates the definition of what an ensemble is all about. There's 74 of us," "Crash" co-star Terrence Howard said of the film's huge cast.

Weisz won supporting-actress for her role as a rabble-rousing humanitarian-aid worker, while Giamatti was honored as supporting actor for playing the manager of Depression-era fighter Jim Braddock. Both had gracious thanks for their fellow actors.

"I can't imagine a greater honor than being acknowledged by my peers," Giamatti said. "Being an actor is a hell of a thing. It's a hell of a thing. It's up and down. It's great, but I found the best thing about it is hanging around the craft-service table with other actors and crew people, eating doughnuts."

"It's so special to be honored by fellow actors, so thanks very much to the tribe," said Weisz, who also won the Golden Globe supporting-actress prize.

Felicity Huffman, who has been considered the best-actress Oscar front-runner for her gender-bending role in "Transamerica," lost to Witherspoon but won the guild prize for best actress in a TV comedy for "Desperate Housewives," which also won for best comedy ensemble.

"I love actors. I married one. OK, I married a fantastic one," Huffman said, of her husband, William H. Macy. "But even more than acting, I love the community of actors. I love the green room. I love the hair and makeup trailer. ... I'm so happy I can make a living at it, because I was never very good at math."

The best-actress honor for a television drama series went to Sandra Oh for the medical drama "Grey's Anatomy." Oh said she was gratified at how the casting of the show reflected real-world diversity.

"This is unbelievable. I thank every single actor out there. I'm so grateful for having a job," Oh said. "To all my fellow Asian-American actors out there, I share this with you, and be encouraged and keep shining."

Kiefer Sutherland won as best actor in a TV drama for the action series "24," while the airplane-disaster show "Lost" won for TV dramatic ensemble.

"A friend of mine always says if you don't have something nice to say about someone, say it," said "Lost" co-star Terry O'Quinn, surrounded by fellow cast members. "This is the saddest collection of climbing, grasping, paranoid, back-stabbing, screen-grabbing schmoozers and losers that you ever saw in your life. But we love each very much."

FILM

Actor
Philip Seymour Hoffman, "Capote" (Sony Pictures Classics)

Actress
Reese Witherspoon,"Walk the Line" (20th Century Fox)

Supporting Actor
Paul Giamatti, "Cinderella Man" (Universal)

Supporting Actress
Rachel Weisz, "The Constant Gardener" (Focus Features)

Cast
"Crash" Chris "Ludacris" Bridges, Sandra Bullock, Don Cheadle, Matt Dillon, Jennifer Esposito, William Fichtner, Brendan Fraser, Terrence Howard, Thandie Newton, Ryan Phillippe, Larenz Tate (Lionsgate)

TELEVISION

Actor, Telefilm or Miniseries
Paul Newman, "Empire Falls" (HBO)

Actress, Telefilm or Miniseries
S. Epatha Merkerson, "Lackawanna Blues" (HBO)

Actor, Drama Series
Kiefer Sutherland, "24" (Fox)

Actress, Drama Series
Sandra Oh, "Grey's Anatomy" (ABC)

Actor, Comedy Series
Sean Hayes, "Will & Grace" (NBC)

Actress, Comedy Series
Felicity Huffman, "Desperate Housewives" (ABC)

Ensemble, Drama Series
"Lost" Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje, Naveen Andrews, Emilie De Ravin, Matthew Fox, Jorge Garcia, Maggie Grace, Josh Holloway, Malcolm David Kelley, Daniel Dae Kim, Yunjin Kim, Evangeline Lilly, Dominic Monaghan, Terry O'Quinn, Harold Perrineau, Michelle Rodriguez, Ian Somerhalder, Cynthia Watros (ABC)

Ensemble, Comedy Series
"Desperate Housewives" Roger Bart, Andrea Bowen, Mehcad Brooks, Ricardo Antonio Chavira, Marcia Cross, Steven Culp, James Denton, Teri Hatcher, Felicity Huffman, Brent Kinsman, Shane Kinsman, Eva Longoria, Mark Moses, Doug Savant, Nicollette Sheridan, Brenda Strong, Alfre Woodard (ABC)

Life Achievement Award
Shirley Temple Black

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

"Son of the Mask," Couch-Jumping Cruise Razzed

As if we needed the Razzie folks to tell us how superlatively sucking Son of the Mask was.

Nonetheless, the Jim Carrey-less sequel stands atop the field of 2005's craptacular cinema, notching a leading eight nominations for the 26th Annual Razzie Awards: Worst Picture, Worst Actor for star Jamie Kennedy (filling in for Carrey), Worst Supporting Actor for Alan Cumming and Bob Hoskins, Worst Screen Couple (for Kennedy and anybody sharing the screen with him), Worst Director, Worst Screenplay and Worst Sequel/Remake.

And while its lameness isn't up for debate, Son of the Mask actually has some serious competition for the distinction of Worst Film, namely: Deuce Bigalow: European Gigolo, House of Wax, The Dukes of Hazzard and Jenny McCarthy's blink-and-you-missed-it "comedy," Dirty Love.

Not only was it a disaster year for Hollywood at the box office, but with Hollywood's most reliably bankable star jumping the couch on Oprah, Razzie organizers decided to add a brand-new category: Most Tiresome Tabloid Target.

Naturally, the list is headed up by Tom Cruise (who doubled his displeasure with a Worst Actor nomination for War of the Worlds). He'll square off against another double nominee, Paris Hilton (whose "performance" in House of Wax garnered a Worst Supporting Actress nod), as well as Britney Spears and Kevin Federline (nominated as "Mr. & Mrs. Britney) and the Simpsons, which in this case include Jessica, Ashlee and Nick.

Cruise's betrothed didn't escape the Razzies wrath, either. Katie Holmes nabbed a Worst Supporting Actress nomination for Batman Begins.

Joining Cruise and Kennedy in the Worst Actor race were Will Ferrell, dinged for the twin bill of turkeys Bewitched and Kicking & Screaming, Dwayne "the Rock" Johnson for Doom and Rob Schneider for foisting a Deuce Bigalow sequel on the world.

On the actress side, McCarthy (who also is up for Worst Screenplay and Worst Couple) will face off against Jessica Alba (Fantastic Four and Into the Blue), Hilary Duff (Cheaper by the Dozen 2 and The Perfect Man), Jennifer Lopez for Monster-in-Law and Tara Reid for playing a "genius anthropologist" in Alone in the Dark.

Formerly know as the Golden Raspberry Awards, the Razzies were founded in 1980 and chosen by 725 film professionals, film journalists and film fans willing to pay a $25 fee.

Per tradition, the Razzie ceremonies will be held the night before the Oscars, Mar. 4, at the Hollywood's Ivar Theater.

Here's the complete list of Razzie contenders:

Worst Picture:
Son of the Mask
Deuce Bigalow: European Gigalow
House of Wax
Dirty Love
The Dukes of Hazzard

Worst Actor:
Tom Cruise (War of the Worlds)
Rob Schneider (Deuce Bigalow: European Gigalow)
Jamie Kennedy (Son of the Mask)
Will Ferrell (Bewitched and Kicking & Screaming)
The Rock (Doom)

Worst Actress:
Jenny McCarthy (Dirty Love)
Jessica Alba (Fantastic Four, Into the Blue)
Hilary Duff (Cheaper by the Dozen 2, The Perfect Man)
Jennifer Lopez (Monster-in-Law)
Tara Reid (Alone in the Dark)

Worst Supporting Actor:
Alan Cumming (Son of the Mask)
Bob Hoskins (Son of the Mask)
Hayden Christensen (Star Wars: Episode III--Revenge of the Sith)
Eugene Levy (Cheaper by the Dozen 2, The Man)
Burt Reynolds (The Dukes of Hazzard, The Longest Yard)

Worst Supporting Actress:
Paris Hilton (House of Wax)
Katie Holmes (Batman Begins)
Carmen Electra (Dirty Love)
Jessica Simpson (The Dukes of Hazzard)
Ashlee Simpson (Undiscovered)

Worst Director:
John Asher (Dirty Love)
Ewe Boll (Alone in the Dark)
Jay Chandrasekhar (The Dukes of Hazzard)
Nora Ephron (Bewitched)
Lawrence Guterman (Son of the Mask)

Worst Screenplay:
Jenny McCarthy (Dirty Love)
Rob Schneider, David Garrett & Jason Ward (Deuce Bigalow: European Gigalow)
Nora Ephron, Delia Ephron & Adam McKay (Bewitched)
John O'Brien (The Dukes of Hazzard)
Lance Khazei (Son of the Mask)

Worst Sequel or Remake:
Bewitched
Deuce Bigalow: European Gigolo
The Dukes of Hazzard
House of Wax
Son of the Mask

Worst Screen Couple:
Jamie Kennedy and Anybody Stuck Sharing the Screen with Him (Son of the Mask)
Will Ferrell and Nicole Kidman (Bewitched)
Jenny McCarthy and Anyone Dumb Enough to Befriend or Date Her (Dirty Love)
Rob Schneider and his Diapers (Deuce Bigalow: European Gigalow)
Jessica Simpson and her Daisy Dukes (The Dukes of Hazzard)

Most Tiresome Tabloid Target:
Tom Cruise and...His Anti-Psychiatry Rant, Oprah Winfrey's Couch, the Eiffel Tower and "Tom's Baby"
Paris Hilton and...Who-EVER!
Mr. and Mrs. Britney, Their Baby and Their Camcorder
The Simpsons--Ashlee, Jessica and Nick

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Writers Guild taps 'Enron' for documentary award

The writer/director of "Enron: The Smartest Guys in the Room" is the second winner of the Writers Guild of America's award for best documentary writing, the union said Wednesday.

Alex Gibney, who also has been nominated for a documentary feature Academy Award, was set to receive the honor from actor James Woods during a ceremony in Hollywood in Wednesday evening.

"Enron" beat a field that included the matchmaker film "Cowboy del Amor," the political thriller "The Fall of Fujimori," the blockbuster nature study "March of the Penguins" and the mayoral saga "Street Fight."

In addition to "Enron," "Street Fight" and "Penguins" also were nominated this week for an Academy Award. The two other Oscar contenders are "Darwin's Nightmare" and "Murderball."

Gibney wrote, directed and produced his documentary about Enron, based on the book "The Smartest Guys in the Room: The Amazing Rise and Scandalous Fall of Enron" by Peter Elkind and Bethany McLean. By coincidence, the fraud trial of former Enron Corp. founder Kenneth Lay and former CEO Jeffrey Skilling got under way this week in Houston.

Gibney is producing "Possibilities," a film about Herbie Hancock, and "The Ten Commandments" a series of 10 hour-long films on each of the different commandments. Steven Soderbergh is executive producer on the latter.

The WGA's documentary award was awarded for the first time last year to Morgan Spurlock for "Super Size Me."

The guild has been working to organize nonfiction writing, most recently by establishing a first-ever contract for low-budget documentaries just two weeks ago.

Skeleton FilmWorks